Scneider EuroPC Mouse and Logitech M-MD15

green-squid

12 Nov 2017, 13:53

I found these two guys at the flea market. Payed $0.3 in total

Before cleaning:
The cable after cleaning - it looks almost brand new now.
The PCB was made by Mitsumi.

Next to my Schneider G81
Inside the Logitech

Still works on Windows 7!
I still have a serial port on my PC

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

12 Nov 2017, 14:26

I like the Schneider, especially with the corresponding keyboard you seem to have. ;)

nivloM droL

17 Nov 2017, 07:18

Back when scrolling wheel was just a dream.

Daniel Beardsmore

17 Nov 2017, 09:23

I went backwards.

Started out with a Quest Mouse¹ from Watford Electronics, three buttons, on my BBC Micro.

Then I switched to a PC, and that came with a Microsoft-compatible mouse with two buttons².

Finally I switched to Mac, and that reduced the count of buttons one last time, to a single button!

So not only was there no wheel scrolling, but nobody valued having convenient access to lots of buttons either, not because they'd not thought of them, but because they rejected the idea!

¹ At least one of the microswitches on mine wore out, and I ended up being given one in better condition; I wish I'd kept the defective one so that I could open it up and document it.

² Mice designed to use the Microsoft mouse driver for DOS used two buttons; mice designed to use the Logitech mouse driver for DOS used three buttons — I did have one program (a text editor) that only worked with Logitech mice, so for me that one was keyboard-only

rich1051414

19 Nov 2017, 19:21

And after mice started getting scroll wheels, horizontal tilting scroll wheels were a rare feature found in the most high end mice, and was but a dream. By the time I could afford one, monitor resolutions were then high enough that i no longer needed it.

micrex22

02 Apr 2018, 11:56

I've been meaning to reply to this thread to explain that 'scneider' mouse. It's actually a philips mouse, and was released for some microcomputers at the time, and also the Roland sampler series, such as the S-760 which I own.

I can't remember why Roland partnered with Philips at the time, but there's more info on it on the internet.

green-squid

02 Apr 2018, 11:58

Very interesting! Thank you for posting!

Daniel Beardsmore

02 Apr 2018, 13:00

micrex22 wrote: I've been meaning to reply to this thread to explain that 'scneider' mouse. It's actually a philips mouse …
I remember it from the RM Nimbus. Are you saying that Philips commissioned the design from Mitsumi originally, and permitted Mitsumi to sell the design to other customers?

Return to “Mice & other input devices”