Great/Interesting Finds

fohat
Elder Messenger

06 Oct 2017, 20:47

balotz wrote:
17 Apple boards salvaged from a shipwreck:
Houston, Texas

Likely hurricane/flood damage. That water was so toxic that even the PBT caps may be hopeless.

Elrick

07 Oct 2017, 12:43

fohat wrote:
balotz wrote:
17 Apple boards salvaged from a shipwreck:
Houston, Texas

Likely hurricane/flood damage. That water was so toxic that even the PBT caps may be hopeless.
Deposits of either excrement, chemical and possible radioactive sedimentation will completely destroy these keyboards already.

If anyone decides to take them apart, the shear work done to try and restore any one of those keyboards doesn't bode well for anyone, except maybe some hardcore Apple nutter.

Who knows when it comes to them, these keyboards may still excite them so.....

Belfong

07 Oct 2017, 12:59

Belfong wrote:I have been cracking my head over what I need to buy from US that does not add to the weight.. maybe more keyboards, LOL .. anyway, totally disheartening! I will figure something out!
Received the keyboard. Didn’t realize it is a AT pin instead of a PS/2! If I knew, I’d have bought the converter and ship to my proxy! Arrrghhhhhh!

fohat
Elder Messenger

07 Oct 2017, 15:34

Belfong wrote:
Didn’t realize it is a AT pin instead of a PS/2!
A serious keyboard hobbyist will probably have a shoe box full of cables, converters, and adapters.

Elrick

08 Oct 2017, 05:41

fohat wrote:
Belfong wrote:
A serious keyboard hobbyist will probably have a shoe box full of cables, converters, and adapters.
Forget a shoebox, far better to have a crate full of them, if you want to collect and use older keyboards ;) .

flowerlandfilms

08 Oct 2017, 07:13

Elrick wrote:
fohat wrote:
Belfong wrote:
Forget a shoebox, far better to have a crate full of them, if you want to collect and use older keyboards ;) .
Found today to add to the crate...
Serial to PS2 converter.
1507439515797-21858117.jpg
1507439515797-21858117.jpg (2.2 MiB) Viewed 6118 times

balotz

08 Oct 2017, 22:33

M0116 with a lowish serial for $32. Good chance of orange alps.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-Keyboar ... Sw4P1Z2onF

Elrick

09 Oct 2017, 06:15

flowerlandfilms wrote: Found today to add to the crate...
Serial to PS2 converter.
Only for the much ancient Serial Com port PC's, made during the early 1980's. I have some of those converters but the PS/2 signal wasn't too reliable, as some Com ports where indeed horrible when it came to acknowledging certain PS/2 keyboards. Also you had to install specific .dll files for the PS/2 keyboard to be recognized within Windows 95, the joys/horrors of early Windows.

Eventually Com ported PCs were eliminated in favour of the forthcoming PS/2 ported machines. PS/2 ports are the longest running connection protocol for the PC and it's still provided today, for those still needing and wanting to use that humble PS/2.

Elrick

09 Oct 2017, 07:48

Check this out;

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Data-General ... 2577375504?

Just received my purchase today from him and it's absolutely Brand New. Finding myself typing faster on this keyboard than on any previously bought keyboards, really strange.

The keys look and feel like PBT dye-subbed, which to me is simple perfection. Only my dirty, greasy paw prints have defiled this keyboard and it looks like I will be keeping this one in service.

I got this keyboard for $40.00USD (neg) and shipping to my hell-hole was more than twice the asking price but I think it was definitely worth it. Just showing everyone that I'm not lying nor deceiving anyone here with this "Great/Interesting Find".

Daniel Beardsmore

09 Oct 2017, 09:27

Peerless, right?

I find Peerless a bit stiff, but it's a promising design. In my case, the wider keys need lubricant (cleaning it seemed to make it feel worse, so it could have been factory lubricated) and the stupid little space bar spring needs rearranging (I can't remember if I ever photographed it, but there's a small spring resembling a barbed wire barb somewhere under the space bar and in my case it's not in the right position, so the space bar is jammed).

Elrick

09 Oct 2017, 10:10

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: Peerless, right?

I find Peerless a bit stiff, but it's a promising design. In my case, the wider keys need lubricant (cleaning it seemed to make it feel worse, so it could have been factory lubricated) and the stupid little space bar spring needs rearranging (I can't remember if I ever photographed it, but there's a small spring resembling a barbed wire barb somewhere under the space bar and in my case it's not in the right position, so the space bar is jammed).
YEP, but this one I am using is SUPERB. No problems whatsoever, in fact I'm now using it exclusively for DT. Maybe because it really is NIB that these keyboards truly shine for anyone who haven't used these type of switches before :D .

Have purchased some second hand ones in the past and they were deplorable beyond words, that can not be used comfortably without swearing four letter words constantly, after every key press.

This one is not hard to press or maybe for me it's just right but who knows what another person would feel like using it. Usually when I buy anything off Flebay, it's usually damaged or hacked, destroyed or extremely faked but this purchase, has been 100% solid.

Good to know that there are some Flebay sellers left, that tell the truth about what they're selling.

thegoldenmandenis

09 Oct 2017, 10:19

I've used a few Fujitsu Peerless keyboards and I have to be honest, I don't like them. I have a couple for sale if anyone is interested? I'd only ask £15 plus shipping.

kokokoy

09 Oct 2017, 15:17

Another one of those NCR. This one has eveything else though.

https://www.ebay.com/i/182817469602

III

09 Oct 2017, 18:05

I'm not sure which is the worst to type on, Keytronic F&F, MEI, or Peerless...

thebluefox

09 Oct 2017, 18:16

Belfong wrote:
Belfong wrote:I have been cracking my head over what I need to buy from US that does not add to the weight.. maybe more keyboards, LOL .. anyway, totally disheartening! I will figure something out!
Received the keyboard. Didn’t realize it is a AT pin instead of a PS/2! If I knew, I’d have bought the converter and ship to my proxy! Arrrghhhhhh!
:D Hey, I just saw this post, it`s not that hard to replace the DIN cable with a PS2 . You just have to search some images with the mapping of the pins. They do not match color to color.
Better yet, you could just replace the connector on the cable. Just cut the old AT connector and solder a PS2 from another keyboard.

Keybug

09 Oct 2017, 22:32

I got a NIB Peerless. Great simplistic aesthetics and no binding / stickiness whatsoever. A treat to type on and very fast, as Elrik said. It's probably somewhere towards the bottom of my top ten of switches and I've tried most non-unobtainiums by now.

wobbled

11 Oct 2017, 22:53

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-IBM-A ... SwShFZ0VXX

Not long left on this

IBM Model F AT and IBM Model M

Myoth

11 Oct 2017, 22:58

wobbled wrote: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-IBM-A ... SwShFZ0VXX

Not long left on this

Fuck, no shipping to France I would have get it so much

wobbled

11 Oct 2017, 23:03

Myoth wrote:
wobbled wrote: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-IBM-A ... SwShFZ0VXX

Not long left on this

Fuck, no shipping to France I would have get it so much
Sorry to hear that dude, it went for an absolute steal

waldorf120

12 Oct 2017, 01:03

Fun looking Datacomp SKCM White Alps board on ebay - Would totally buy it but would just use some of the keycaps, I'd prefer this go to someone who might actually want to use the board.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Neopost-9803-03 ... SwG7lZvBov

Hak Foo

12 Oct 2017, 05:55

This was for sale a few weeks ago-- with the weird combination of caps. Someone linked it in a thread discussing the variants of the board.

I wonder if it's the same unit or if every example of it had those weird caps.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

12 Oct 2017, 09:04

It was the same seller, and he now uses the very same photos:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Neopost-9803-03 ... 7675.l2557

kokokoy

12 Oct 2017, 15:41

SSSK @235 or best offer

https://www.ebay.com/i/222671941929

depletedvespene

12 Oct 2017, 21:43

depletedvespene wrote:
E TwentyNine wrote: And $50 shipping. Nice.

I'll console myself with this: "No power cord and the unit has not been tested - see pictures for details and condition."

That's SUCH a cop-out. That's a butt-standard power cord that still comes on stuff today. So MAYBE it's not working and they have plausible deniability. Maybe they're too lazy to find a cord.

Will look for the follow up...
I bought it for the keyboard. If it turns out the PC is actually in working order, it'll be a bonus. I'm fairly sure I have a copy of PC-DOS 3.3 around here somewhere...

I'll look up Soarer's converters and teensies for this keeb tomorrow. Now I need to get some sleep (while my wallet spends the night crying).
Necrobump... for a necrocomputer.

I finally got my hands on the Portable PC... it looked in great shape, but it was absolutely dead. The keyboard seems to be in good condition, but I haven't properly tested it yet. I now have to decide whether to keep the entire thing as the largest paperweight ever, or to discard it. Oh, well...

manna

13 Oct 2017, 02:54

HHKB2 listed as in great condition for 95 euro, from Italy

https://www.subito.it/informatica/tasti ... 207311.htm

zooksman

14 Oct 2017, 23:22

I guess it's too late now, but there was a listing for an F-122 with blue sublegends. Was it worth the $200 it went for? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-IBM-Model- ... true&rt=nc

Belfong

15 Oct 2017, 06:31

Elrick wrote:
fohat wrote:
Belfong wrote:
I am ashamed of myself for not having any of these adapters. Fortunately I managed to buy one off a British for a low price. I am currently waiting for it to reach my shores and then I will get to type on this beautiful Moneterey Blue alps!

Wingklip

15 Oct 2017, 12:50

depletedvespene wrote:
I bought it for the keyboard. If it turns out the PC is actually in working order, it'll be a bonus. I'm fairly sure I have a copy of PC-DOS 3.3 around here somewhere...

I'll look up Soarer's converters and teensies for this keeb tomorrow. Now I need to get some sleep (while my wallet spends the night crying).
Necrobump... for a necrocomputer.

I finally got my hands on the Portable PC... it looked in great shape, but it was absolutely dead. The keyboard seems to be in good condition, but I haven't properly tested it yet. I now have to decide whether to keep the entire thing as the largest paperweight ever, or to discard it. Oh, well...[/quote]

Surely you did not plug it in with he wrong voltage... right?

HAL

15 Oct 2017, 17:48

zooksman wrote: I guess it's too late now, but there was a listing for an F-122 with blue sublegends. Was it worth the $200 it went for? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-IBM-Model- ... true&rt=nc
I am not sure if a Model F 122 is worth 200 $ but recently these have been sold around 250 $. Also if you are into buckling spring the Model F variant is in my opinoin the best variant. The layout of the alpha-keys is very useable and easily converted to US ANSI. To sum it up: if you can fit this battleship on your desk you get a lot of keyboard for 200 $.

wobbled

15 Oct 2017, 17:56

As much as I hate overpriced things on ebay, $200-$300 for a good condition Model F 122 with blue sub legends seems like a standard deal now. You only see good deals on forums such as this and GH or you get lucky with an ebay seller that has no idea what he is selling.

Return to “Other external”