[Other news] Stuff you just bought

zrrion wrote:Just ordered two Cherry MX G80s. One G80-11900LTMUS and one G80-8113LRDUS-2 both NIB. I'm pretty sure they'll have vintage blacks so it will be interesting to see how NIB vintage blacks will stand up to NIB SKCC greens. They'll also be my first MX boards so I guess If I don't like MX black Ill be able to swap them out for something else a little easier than I can with my KPT and SKCC boards.
Card reader on one of them should be cool too I guess.

The 11900 is not vintage blacks, should be mid 2000s blacks. The 8113 is MX brown.
mike52787
User avatar
Alps Aficionado

Unread post29 Jul 2018, 05:03

User avatar
X
mike52787
Alps Aficionado
 
Posts: 963
Joined: 02 Jul 2016, 21:48
Location: South-West Florida
Main keyboard: I cant decide
Main mouse: Zowie EC1-A
Favorite switch: Vintage MX Black
DT Pro Member: 0166
 
That's pretty cool too, I'll get to try more than one switch type.
zrrion
User avatar

Unread post29 Jul 2018, 06:34

User avatar
X
zrrion
 
Posts: 176
Joined: 13 Mar 2018, 05:16
Location: Indianapolis
Main keyboard: Zenith ZTX-11-Z
Main mouse: Microsoft IntelliMouse
Favorite switch: ALPS SKCC Green
DT Pro Member: -
 
Found through classifieds:
PC AT - juillet 2018.jpg
Darkshado
User avatar

Unread post30 Jul 2018, 01:18

User avatar
X
Darkshado
 
Posts: 249
Joined: 27 Dec 2015, 22:36
Location: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Main keyboard: MS Sculpt Ergo (work); Model F122 (home)
Main mouse: Logitech M510 (work), G502 + CST L-Trac (home)
Favorite switch: Buckling spring, MX Clear, SKCM Cream Dampened
DT Pro Member: -
 
Darkshado wrote:Found through classifieds:
PC AT - juillet 2018.jpg

Very nice find.
Lanrefni

Unread post30 Jul 2018, 03:22

X
Lanrefni
 
Posts: 32
Joined: 13 May 2018, 01:19
Location: Vermont
Main keyboard: Eagletech KG010
Main mouse: Logitech G502
Favorite switch: MX Blues
DT Pro Member: -
 
A military keyboard with Pendar SFL 5101 reed switches, will make a more in depth post on this once I get it converted.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Noobmaen
User avatar

Unread post08 Aug 2018, 17:39

User avatar
X
Noobmaen
 
Posts: 161
Joined: 30 Jul 2017, 14:47
Location: Germany
Main keyboard: FC660M MX Brown, '88 1K HFD vintage brown, IBM6580
Main mouse: Logitech G500
Favorite switch: Beamspring, Vintage MX brown, Cap. BS
DT Pro Member: -
 
Oh, I sold one of those ages ago. I never knew what switches it had, because I didn't have the right Torx screwdriver back then. I sold it, because the layout is unusable to me and the switches didn't feel that great, maybe due to the plastic sheet. I did like the massive metal housing and the flip switch, thought!
Nuum
User avatar

Unread post08 Aug 2018, 19:34

User avatar
X
Nuum
 
Posts: 1630
Joined: 16 Aug 2013, 22:38
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Main keyboard: FaceU 60% (60g Clears), Phantom (Nixdorf Blacks)
Main mouse: Steelseries Kana V2/Logitech G9
Favorite switch: 60g MX Clears/Brown Alps/Buckling spring
DT Pro Member: 0084
 
Just got this in the mail.
Image
NIB Tai-Hao TH-5539-8, rebranded as F-21YQ. It has unbranded Tai-Hao APC switches - white slider, older & larger rear contact plate, wide click leaf. They feel fairly similar to the Pine White Alps in my NOS FK-2001, but more tactile and less pleasant overall. Not bad to type on, but they do have a fairly major flaw - they actuate above the click. Alps and their various clones tend to actuate higher up anyway, but these are just ridiculous. They don't quite actuate just from resting my fingers on the keys, but it doesn't take much more than that.
Moosewing
User avatar

Unread post08 Aug 2018, 22:25

User avatar
X
Moosewing
 
Posts: 16
Joined: 28 Nov 2016, 05:13
Location: Arizona
Main keyboard: None yet
Main mouse: Logitech G502
Favorite switch: Omron B3G-S Amber
DT Pro Member: -
 
Moosewing wrote:Just got this in the mail.
Image
NIB Tai-Hao TH-5539-8, rebranded as F-21YQ. It has unbranded Tai-Hao APC switches - white slider, older & larger rear contact plate, wide click leaf. They feel fairly similar to the Pine White Alps in my NOS FK-2001, but more tactile and less pleasant overall. Not bad to type on, but they do have a fairly major flaw - they actuate above the click. Alps and their various clones tend to actuate higher up anyway, but these are just ridiculous. They don't quite actuate just from resting my fingers on the keys, but it doesn't take much more than that.

I have a keyboard with a similar switch. Very tactile but not particularly in a great way. Not bad though. Mine also actuate well above the click. Its the only thing that detracts me from using it.

Ignore the crud, I took these pics before cleanup.

Image
Image
rich1051414

Unread post08 Aug 2018, 23:21

X
rich1051414
 
Posts: 268
Joined: 24 Sep 2017, 02:19
Location: US
Main keyboard: Whitefox Zealios 67g
Main mouse: Logitech G900
Favorite switch: Alps Orange
DT Pro Member: -
 
Found a Selectric II at goodwill today
Image
zrrion
User avatar

Unread post13 Aug 2018, 00:24

User avatar
X
zrrion
 
Posts: 176
Joined: 13 Mar 2018, 05:16
Location: Indianapolis
Main keyboard: Zenith ZTX-11-Z
Main mouse: Microsoft IntelliMouse
Favorite switch: ALPS SKCC Green
DT Pro Member: -
 
zrrion wrote:Found a Selectric II at goodwill today
Image

Have you connected it yet, to see if it works?

If you've found a Selectric which still powers on and "TYPES" then you've hit the jack pot.

That style of keyboard needs to be kept FOREVER simply because it's 100% unique compared to everything else out there.
Elrick
User avatar

Unread post13 Aug 2018, 04:00

User avatar
X
Elrick
 
Posts: 1483
Joined: 31 Dec 2011, 01:36
Location: Greenmount, AUSTRALIA
Main keyboard: WASD
Main mouse: G400
Favorite switch: BOX Navy Switch, ALPs, Model-M
DT Pro Member: -
 
Noobmaen wrote:A military keyboard with Pendar SFL 5101 reed switches, will make a more in depth post on this once I get it converted.
Image

Beautiful looking keyboard probably used to launch Military Missiles (ground to air).

Nice catch, if you could buy the whole setup and make a firing sequence to initiate another launch over enemy territory, then you've done great ;) .
Elrick
User avatar

Unread post13 Aug 2018, 04:04

User avatar
X
Elrick
 
Posts: 1483
Joined: 31 Dec 2011, 01:36
Location: Greenmount, AUSTRALIA
Main keyboard: WASD
Main mouse: G400
Favorite switch: BOX Navy Switch, ALPs, Model-M
DT Pro Member: -
 
This one was essentially a freebie but I got a hold of a set of Displaywriter manuals. They are not in the best shape but I am nonetheless in awe of the sheer quantity of documentation that came with this machine.

Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image
Bass
User avatar

Unread post13 Aug 2018, 04:18

User avatar
X
Bass
 
Posts: 194
Joined: 04 Apr 2018, 17:36
Location: United States
Main keyboard: IBM Model F104 "Unsaver"
Main mouse: Logitech G9x
Favorite switch: Beamspring / Capacitive Buckling Spring
DT Pro Member: 0206
 
Elrick wrote:If you've found a Selectric which still powers on and "TYPES" then you've hit the jack pot.
It only hummed when I plugged it there, but after taking it home the clutch was just sticking. I gave it a little push, it started spinning, and I started typing.
The belt is in good shape, the insides are clean, the outsides are clean, and the ink ribbon has barely been used. I hit the jackpot with this one all right. Just going to have to figure out a good oil to oil the clutch with to make sure it doesn't have any trouble and we'll be good to go.
zrrion
User avatar

Unread post13 Aug 2018, 05:42

User avatar
X
zrrion
 
Posts: 176
Joined: 13 Mar 2018, 05:16
Location: Indianapolis
Main keyboard: Zenith ZTX-11-Z
Main mouse: Microsoft IntelliMouse
Favorite switch: ALPS SKCC Green
DT Pro Member: -
 
Canon S-15 with Alps Integrated Domes and an SKCL Green for the lock switch.
Image

They're not the worst switches I've ever used... but they're pretty awful. I'm very happy with the keycaps though!
Moosewing
User avatar

Unread post14 Aug 2018, 02:21

User avatar
X
Moosewing
 
Posts: 16
Joined: 28 Nov 2016, 05:13
Location: Arizona
Main keyboard: None yet
Main mouse: Logitech G502
Favorite switch: Omron B3G-S Amber
DT Pro Member: -
 
Moosewing wrote:Canon S-15 with Alps Integrated Domes and an SKCL Green for the lock switch.
They're not the worst switches I've ever used... but they're pretty awful. I'm very happy with the keycaps though!

Nice! All the Canon typewriters I find online rarely have the top centred lock light, so I never really bid on anything. :cry:
snufflecat
User avatar

Unread post14 Aug 2018, 07:20

User avatar
X
snufflecat
 
Posts: 128
Joined: 27 Oct 2017, 12:09
Main keyboard: Wang 724 / Model M
Favorite switch: Salmon Alps
DT Pro Member: -
 
Some very cool legends on this bad boy as well as doubleshot alps keys. They look to be black alps so that is pretty cool. I'm loving the long right shift.
Image
zrrion
User avatar

Unread post16 Aug 2018, 05:04

User avatar
X
zrrion
 
Posts: 176
Joined: 13 Mar 2018, 05:16
Location: Indianapolis
Main keyboard: Zenith ZTX-11-Z
Main mouse: Microsoft IntelliMouse
Favorite switch: ALPS SKCC Green
DT Pro Member: -
 
that gear-looking legend is super neat!
//gainsborough
User avatar
ALPSの日常

Unread post16 Aug 2018, 05:14

User avatar
X
//gainsborough
ALPSの日常
 
Posts: 955
Joined: 31 May 2016, 07:26
Location:
Main keyboard: some kind of alps keyboard
Favorite switch: clk: SKCM blue, lin: SKCL cream, tac: SKCM cream
DT Pro Member: 0188
 
zrrion wrote:Some very cool legends on this bad boy as well as doubleshot alps keys. They look to be black alps so that is pretty cool. I'm loving the long right shift.
Image

I don't think that's black alps, or an alps switch at all... What switch is THAT?? :shock:
mcmaxmcmc

Unread post16 Aug 2018, 06:47

X
mcmaxmcmc
 
Posts: 106
Joined: 21 Feb 2018, 05:27
Location: United States
Main keyboard: Focus FK-2001
Main mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma
Favorite switch: Amber Alps
DT Pro Member: -
 
I can't tell because of how dark the photo is but they look like they might be Hosiden switches.
Blaise170
User avatar
ALPS キーボード

Unread post16 Aug 2018, 16:04

User avatar
X
Blaise170
ALPS キーボード
 
Posts: 2141
Joined: 30 Oct 2014, 22:18
Location: Boston, MA
Main keyboard: Varmilo VA87MR
Main mouse: Logitech G502
Favorite switch: Alps SKCM Blue
DT Pro Member: 0129
 
why would Hosiden switches be in an Alps keyboard ?

they're obviously wiki/Alps_integrated_dome
Myoth
User avatar

Unread post16 Aug 2018, 16:28

User avatar
X
Myoth
 
Posts: 1049
Joined: 21 Feb 2017, 09:19
Location: Strasbourg
Main keyboard: Realforce 86u
Main mouse: EC1-A
Favorite switch: Cap BS
DT Pro Member: -
 
 
what is this ?
It's CSI time. Enhance:
s-l1600.jpg

Compare with the sample we have on file:

Image

The seller's picture is too lousy to tell for sure, but that's a fairly good match given all the jpeg grain. Well, ugh, the more I look the less I'm sure. Why can't images be infinitely detailed like in the movies!
Muirium
User avatar
µ

Unread post16 Aug 2018, 16:42

User avatar
X
Muirium
µ
 
Posts: 23044
Joined: 03 Feb 2013, 10:11
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Main keyboard: HHKB Type-S with Bluetooth by Hasu
Main mouse: Apple Magic Mouse
Favorite switch: Gotta Try 'Em All
DT Pro Member: -
 
Muirium wrote:The seller's picture is too lousy to tell for sure, but that's a fairly good match given all the jpeg grain. Well, ugh, the more I look the less I'm sure. Why can't images be infinitely detailed like in the movies!

Looks more like this at first glance:

switch.jpg
snuci
User avatar
Vintage computer guy

Unread post16 Aug 2018, 17:00

User avatar
X
snuci
Vintage computer guy
 
Posts: 1239
Joined: 23 Sep 2015, 13:20
Location: Ontario, Canada
DT Pro Member: 0131
 
snuci wrote:
Muirium wrote:The seller's picture is too lousy to tell for sure, but that's a fairly good match given all the jpeg grain. Well, ugh, the more I look the less I'm sure. Why can't images be infinitely detailed like in the movies!

Looks more like this at first glance:

switch.jpg

I'm thinking it's perhaps an Alps integrated dome variant not yet documented on deskthority.
Noobmaen
User avatar

Unread post16 Aug 2018, 17:02

User avatar
X
Noobmaen
 
Posts: 161
Joined: 30 Jul 2017, 14:47
Location: Germany
Main keyboard: FC660M MX Brown, '88 1K HFD vintage brown, IBM6580
Main mouse: Logitech G500
Favorite switch: Beamspring, Vintage MX brown, Cap. BS
DT Pro Member: -
 
Myoth wrote:why would Hosiden switches be in an Alps keyboard ?

they're obviously wiki/Alps_integrated_dome

It's a Yamaha keyboard and there is no way we could know that it's made by Alps if it hasn't been disassembled (or if it is indeed integrated dome, but the image is too terrible to see).
Blaise170
User avatar
ALPS キーボード

Unread post16 Aug 2018, 17:21

User avatar
X
Blaise170
ALPS キーボード
 
Posts: 2141
Joined: 30 Oct 2014, 22:18
Location: Boston, MA
Main keyboard: Varmilo VA87MR
Main mouse: Logitech G502
Favorite switch: Alps SKCM Blue
DT Pro Member: 0129
 
20180810_084528.jpg


Cherry ncr 0577 I got off ebay for 60 shipped. I originally broke a stem on the insert key which is the first time ever I've broken a cherry stem but it is fixed now. Very nice vintage blacks. It's a shame the arrow keys don't work on my pc
samuelcable
User avatar

Unread post16 Aug 2018, 17:28

User avatar
X
samuelcable
 
Posts: 181
Joined: 16 Jan 2018, 22:29
Location: Lexington, KY
Main keyboard: G80-3314
Main mouse: Logitech Marathon mouse
Favorite switch: Vintage MX Black/Topre
DT Pro Member: -
 
samuelcable wrote:
20180810_084528.jpg
It's a shame the arrow keys don't work on my pc

Are you using a converter like soarers? If so, the converter might be picking it up as set2 where it may actually be set2ext.

If it's XT, I had almost the exact same problem and I switched to Hasu's XT converter with the extended key map and it worked after that.
snacksthecat
User avatar
✶✶✶✶

Unread post16 Aug 2018, 17:34

User avatar
X
snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶
 
Posts: 557
Joined: 04 Jun 2017, 15:47
Location: USA
Main keyboard: IBM SSK (typing) / Custom 75% Zealio (gaming)
Main mouse: BenQ ZOWIE EC1-A
Favorite switch: Dampened Cream Alps (minus dampeners)
DT Pro Member: 0205
 
Blaise170 wrote:
Myoth wrote:why would Hosiden switches be in an Alps keyboard ?

they're obviously wiki/Alps_integrated_dome

It's a Yamaha keyboard and there is no way we could know that it's made by Alps if it hasn't been disassembled (or if it is indeed integrated dome, but the image is too terrible to see).

They're Alps keycaps, and the space-bar switch is probably a SKFL Cream. They surely are made by Alps. I have a later version of an MSX.
Myoth
User avatar

Unread post16 Aug 2018, 17:38

User avatar
X
Myoth
 
Posts: 1049
Joined: 21 Feb 2017, 09:19
Location: Strasbourg
Main keyboard: Realforce 86u
Main mouse: EC1-A
Favorite switch: Cap BS
DT Pro Member: -
 
snacksthecat wrote:
samuelcable wrote:
20180810_084528.jpg
It's a shame the arrow keys don't work on my pc

Are you using a converter like soarers? If so, the converter might be picking it up as set2 where it may actually be set2ext.

If it's XT, I had almost the exact same problem and I switched to Hasu's XT converter with the extended key map and it worked after that.

I am using a soarers plug n play converter, I don't have a hasu converter right now but I'll look into it since this board is nice on my desk
samuelcable
User avatar

Unread post16 Aug 2018, 17:44

User avatar
X
samuelcable
 
Posts: 181
Joined: 16 Jan 2018, 22:29
Location: Lexington, KY
Main keyboard: G80-3314
Main mouse: Logitech Marathon mouse
Favorite switch: Vintage MX Black/Topre
DT Pro Member: -
 
Image
Here's another pic where you can see the switches better. It's still not a super great pic though.
zrrion
User avatar

Unread post16 Aug 2018, 18:05

User avatar
X
zrrion
 
Posts: 176
Joined: 13 Mar 2018, 05:16
Location: Indianapolis
Main keyboard: Zenith ZTX-11-Z
Main mouse: Microsoft IntelliMouse
Favorite switch: ALPS SKCC Green
DT Pro Member: -
 
Myoth wrote:
Blaise170 wrote:
Myoth wrote:They're Alps keycaps, and the space-bar switch is probably a SKFL Cream. They surely are made by Alps. I have a later version of an MSX.

Again, how do you know they are Alps caps?
Blaise170
User avatar
ALPS キーボード

Unread post16 Aug 2018, 18:48

User avatar
X
Blaise170
ALPS キーボード
 
Posts: 2141
Joined: 30 Oct 2014, 22:18
Location: Boston, MA
Main keyboard: Varmilo VA87MR
Main mouse: Logitech G502
Favorite switch: Alps SKCM Blue
DT Pro Member: 0129
 
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests