Stuff you just bought

Mr.Nobody

08 Jun 2017, 13:40

Just bought this book "The Little Prince", the smallest one I have by now, what a coincidence, from the same press of my another book---"Complete novels of Bronte sisters", which happens to be the biggest one I have.
Spoiler:

wobbled

08 Jun 2017, 13:53

Bought some solid oak kitchen counter tops which I will be using as a desk to go around my room. I'll put some pictures in the desktop thread when all is finished! That's a good £450 gone on wood though which kinda sucks.

andrewjoy

08 Jun 2017, 15:38

wobbled wrote: Bought some solid oak kitchen counter tops which I will be using as a desk to go around my room. I'll put some pictures in the desktop thread when all is finished! That's a good £450 gone on wood though which kinda sucks.

Nice , i got some butcher block countertops from ikea and built a desk. Wish i had gone for oak over birch

wobbled

08 Jun 2017, 15:47

andrewjoy wrote:
wobbled wrote: Bought some solid oak kitchen counter tops which I will be using as a desk to go around my room. I'll put some pictures in the desktop thread when all is finished! That's a good £450 gone on wood though which kinda sucks.

Nice , i got some butcher block countertops from ikea and built a desk. Wish i had gone for oak over birch
Could always stain it a different colour, any type of wood is nicer than the particle board crap they usually sell - two of my desks have managed to bend in the middle due to monitor weight.

andrewjoy

08 Jun 2017, 16:32

I went for danish oil with brixwax ontop

it makes a decent surface and its easy to do.

Its mainly i prefer the look of oak but i was concerned that the desk would flex and as birch flexes less than oak ( apparently) but the way i have it set up thats a none issue.

wobbled

08 Jun 2017, 16:35

Ah crap so I've bought another desk that is prone to sagging. I'm just gonna install a crap load of legs in the middle and hope for the best.

andrewjoy

08 Jun 2017, 16:51

fix it to the wall with brackets . i had thick brackets made from some guy on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-Duty-Sh ... hash=item0

and then some ikea legs on the desk http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/desk ... -10217971/

On mine the desks are also joined together in a U shape with some simple steel flat brackets

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6x-100mm-4-Fl ... xyyq5TNyH8

It all depends on the shape you want and if it will be fixed desk if you want it to move i would go with 5 of the above ikea legs , one in each corner and one at the back middle .

If your fixing it to the wall get the bracket i listed and just put 2 legs at the front .

if your going to have U shape you want to attack them to each-other but have one leg ether side of the join.

the legs are so cheap i would get more even if your fixing it to the wall build it as a free standing desk and then fit the brackets, you can then remove any legs at the back you dont need.

cookie

08 Jun 2017, 17:41

This beauty :)
Spoiler:

snuci
Vintage computer guy

08 Jun 2017, 22:49

Got this Internet Of Things (IoT) device used in the off-season (wouldn't ever pay full price but it's very cool):

Hint: If you're not a hockey fan, you won't get it.
Spoiler:
budweiser-budweiser-red-lights-600-80033.jpg
budweiser-budweiser-red-lights-600-80033.jpg (50.53 KiB) Viewed 8783 times

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

09 Jun 2017, 00:37

A $400 32 inch 4k monitor from Korea! http://www.ebay.com/itm/112075657012

Moving from 2560x1600 I didn't think 3840x2160 would be a game changer. I was wrong! It also arrived two days after purchase - incredible.

Also visible in the photo are a new standing desk from Autonomous.ai and a new AKRacing chair from Massdrop. Both are delightful. I now have plenty of space to use my F107 "Kish-Unsaver" standing or sitting.

Come to think of it the water cooler is new too, as are the garage renovations that made all of this possible. This has been a fun week. :lol:
XMIT's Lair.
XMIT's Lair.
IMG_20170608_170207.jpg (701.18 KiB) Viewed 8761 times

wobbled

09 Jun 2017, 00:43

really beautiful XMIT, 32 inch seems like an ideal size for 4k too. Little bit of scaling required but still plenty of screen real estate.

I know exactly what you mean about the difference between 1600 and 4k. I too made that change, and then from 4k to 5k. Each time I noticed an incredible improvement in every aspect. Cosy setup btw!

Harshmallow

09 Jun 2017, 00:54

snuci wrote: Got this Internet Of Things (IoT) device used in the off-season (wouldn't ever pay full price but it's very cool):

Spoiler:

Haha, that's awesome Snuci - now I know someone that bought that goal light.

Tuntematon

09 Jun 2017, 00:59

Harshmallow wrote:
snuci wrote: Got this Internet Of Things (IoT) device used in the off-season (wouldn't ever pay full price but it's very cool):

Spoiler:

Haha, that's awesome Snuci - now I know someone that bought that goal light.
Go Leafs Go :D

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

09 Jun 2017, 05:00

wobbled wrote: really beautiful XMIT, 32 inch seems like an ideal size for 4k too. Little bit of scaling required but still plenty of screen real estate.
Nope, no scaling! I love seeing a ton of detail on maps, in CAD, in my photos, etc. Little changes like this help me to continue to design better keyboards. Also for my day job it lets me see more at a time which is really nice.

Mr.Nobody

09 Jun 2017, 14:38

@cookie
Silver Gibson, fxxking cool man, I have a Squire Dot...
@Wobbled
Woodwares and leatherwares are absolutely absorbing...
@xMIT
Is that a cask of beer on the left side of the desk?

cookie

09 Jun 2017, 15:56

Thanks!

It's not just a Silver Gibson, it's actually a very rare and unusual one. It's a 57 Les Paul Custom reissue in TV Silver. Usually the 57s are black with golden hardware, which I personally find quite boring. The silver is very special because you still see the grain. But the most important part is that it sounds amazing. It's one of the best sounding Gibsons I've played and the neck is like a baseball bat. Love it!

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

09 Jun 2017, 16:15

OK so I didn't actually buy this (yet) but I'm seriously considering it, check out the vintage Nixdorf phone:
nixphone.jpg
nixphone.jpg (851.84 KiB) Viewed 8673 times
Of course this would rule if it could be technically upgraded to VOIP but I doubt that.

wobbled

09 Jun 2017, 16:23

If only it was in glossy red, god I love red phones.

cookie

09 Jun 2017, 16:40

But seebart, how you gonna use whatsapp with that thing?

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

09 Jun 2017, 16:47

cookie wrote: But seebart, how you gonna use whatsapp with that thing?
57rd1b.jpg
57rd1b.jpg (39.95 KiB) Viewed 8642 times
:mrgreen:

But to answer your question cookie, I try not to use whatscrapp at all! Or face(palm)book or any of the other (datastealing "services"). Suggested thread for this topic:

off-topic-f10/the-tin-foil-hat-conspira ... ml#p375373

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

09 Jun 2017, 17:10

XMIT wrote: A $400 32 inch 4k monitor from Korea! http://www.ebay.com/itm/112075657012

Moving from 2560x1600 I didn't think 3840x2160 would be a game changer. I was wrong! It also arrived two days after purchase - incredible.

Also visible in the photo are a new standing desk from Autonomous.ai and a new AKRacing chair from Massdrop. Both are delightful. I now have plenty of space to use my F107 "Kish-Unsaver" standing or sitting.

Come to think of it the water cooler is new too, as are the garage renovations that made all of this possible. This has been a fun week. :lol:
IMG_20170608_170207.jpg
Wow, really nice. I hope you didn't get any stuck/dead pixels or backlight bleed since it is a Korean panel. Funny really, I can't really be comfortable with the PPI of my dual 1080p monitors since my huge riser makes me sit so far back from my desk. Thinking of upgrading to one big 32 inch 2560x1440 monitor. I also love the nice big window to your right and the funky wrist rest you got there.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

09 Jun 2017, 18:52

Mr.Nobody wrote: @xMIT
Is that a cask of beer on the left side of the desk?
No, ice water. It gets warm here even with the air conditioning running.

Phenix
-p

09 Jun 2017, 20:30

wobbled wrote:really beautiful XMIT, 32 inch seems like an ideal size for 4k too. Little bit of scaling required but still plenty of screen real estate.

I know exactly what you mean about the difference between 1600 and 4k. I too made that change, and then from 4k to 5k. Each time I noticed an incredible improvement in every aspect. Cosy setup btw!
out of interest: is there any way to connect a second 4k monitor without a second displayport cable?

Mr.Nobody

09 Jun 2017, 23:19

@cookie
Yes, I don't know why some people prefer thin necks, the condon thinner is better, but when it comes to guitar necks, thick neck gives you a good grip and doesn't bend easily.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

09 Jun 2017, 23:44

Phenix wrote:
wobbled wrote:really beautiful XMIT, 32 inch seems like an ideal size for 4k too. Little bit of scaling required but still plenty of screen real estate.

out of interest: is there any way to connect a second 4k monitor without a second displayport cable?
Your question is ill posed, so I'll do my best to give you some facts and hope that this helps.

A single Displayport 1.2 cable can - just barely - provide enough bandwidth for 3840x2160@60, the resolution of my 4k monitor. They can drive a "5k" panel at 60Hz, that's it.

So, a single Displayport 1.2 port or cable doesn't have the bandwidth for two monitors.

Some monitors - this one included - have HDMI inputs. The latest versions of HDMI support 4k @ 60 Hz.

If I wanted to connect two of these to my Macbook Pro I could with two mini-DP to Displayport cables. But, no, you can't daisy chain them.

ohaimark
Kingpin

10 Jun 2017, 03:28

Just picked up a missing link in my Lexmark collection at a local Salvation Army.

It seems to be an original Lexmark company shirt.

Engicoder

10 Jun 2017, 03:36

Pretty sweet and it doesn't even have any nasty stains :) Is it blue, black or green?

ohaimark
Kingpin

10 Jun 2017, 03:51

A faded black or a very dark navy blue. It's tough to tell because it could be faded.

y11971alex

10 Jun 2017, 04:26

Some books about classical Chinese architecture.

Mr.Nobody

12 Jun 2017, 14:43

This one is not bought by me but donated to me by some awesome guy I don't really know. An 8-bit Sharp MZ 700 computer, made in 1982, in fully working order, but pretty yellowed...This is by far the oldest computer I have.

Return to “News”