IBM 1392554

photekq
Cherry Picker

10 Aug 2015, 23:28

Really bad pics, but just wanted to post some pictures of this thing.. It's like a weird M/F combo.

It seems to be brand new, unused, but stored in a damp area. The springs seem to be a bit corroded and some don't spring properly. Also, that plate!

Muirium
µ

10 Aug 2015, 23:34

Weird one, eh? I vaguely remember one of these showing up before. It's obviously related to the 50 key "nampad" in the Kishsaver IBM 4704 family, but those are straight Model Fs while this is a hybrid whose membrane and connectors have Model M written all over them.

Bad storage is a pain! That barrel plate looks as dirty as a well used Model F. And the shiny backplate, believe it or not, is actually quite tarnished compared to many a Model F. The mirror finish is usually pristine. So much nicer to look at than the backside of a Model M assembly!

But what's that you're using as a prop in the background…

wyatt8740

11 Aug 2015, 05:15

I think those are on the wiki, actually. They look kinda neat, though. I think it was from a cash register or something.

I wonder if it feels and sounds like an F, or if it's dampened a bit by the membrane.

macmakkara

11 Aug 2015, 06:26

Yeah these are on wiki. Under 50 key model m. I also have one of those.

photekq
Cherry Picker

11 Aug 2015, 06:28

Although different keycaps on the one which is on the wiki..

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

11 Aug 2015, 07:18

Very nice find. You have ergo objects popping up in the background photekq! 8-)

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

11 Aug 2015, 15:21

I got one of these from tinnie, before he disappeared. A few have popped up on eBay as well. The ones with relegendables are rarer than the ones with printed caps, as I understand. But both look cool.

orihalcon

12 Aug 2015, 01:48

I still have some of these on ebay, though mine are the 49 key variant. There's a 50th pad, just have to take out the stabilizer and put another flipper/spring into that barrel if you want to convert to 50 key. Also have the relegendable caps from 4704's if anyone is interested, though those clear caps tend to be rather worn.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=49 ... m&_sacat=0

Can do 10% off of those prices, just PM me if interested.

terrycherry

13 Aug 2015, 11:21

What a strange layout. Could it use on modern PC?

andrewjoy

13 Aug 2015, 11:25

Ahh the proto-m returns, i always wanted to try one.

I am guessing it uses model M style flippers?

orihalcom are you ones proto M like this or the more classic plastic plate ?

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

13 Aug 2015, 22:44

terrycherry wrote: What a strange layout. Could it use on modern PC?
Yes, mine actually works simply with a PS/2 adapter. It has a Model M controller on the inside. But you need a Soarer's converter or phosphorglow's replacement controller to change the layout.

dorkvader

18 Aug 2015, 01:11

the M controller it comes with is very similar (but not identical to) a SSK controller from the same timespan, though these were made for quite a while. Here's some pictures of mine (converted and working on USB). the replacement controller is from a rubber dome M that I got from HaaTa
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dork_vade ... 9060149824

These are pretty cool, though they feel more like an M than an F, even though everything but the springs, flippies and PCB are from the F variant. I use mine as a LH pad to compliment mousing around and moving data (cut / copy / paste etc.)

hammelgammler
Vintage

28 Sep 2015, 13:59

Does anyone know how much a M50 weights? I can't find that information anywhere, would be great to know. :)

Return to “Gallery”