IBM Industrial SSK differences

snuci
Vintage computer guy

14 May 2017, 23:58

I thought I'd post my two IBM Industrial SSK keyboards. I refer to them as the Mopar version and the Ford version. The Mopar version came from a Mopar Diagnostic System that is really an IBM 7785 computer which is an IBM PS/2 386 class computer internally. Sadly, it was too big to rescue (due to shipping) but I'm hoping to get the internals. The Ford version of the SSK came from an industrial computer that was located at a Ford plan in Detroit that I managed to get in a lot so I don't know the exact model computer it's from.

The essential differences is that the Ford keyboard is a Lexmark 41G3200 (I am guessing the 62nd made) and the Mopar keyboard is an IBM 1395862 (I'm guessing the 3446nd made). These are both quite rare as most industrial computers are destroyed after their useful life. The Mopar keyboard came from a dealership that went under and was purchased at auction (which is unusual and why it was still around).

The Mopar keyboard has the trademark bright blue keys that were used on the Mopar Diagnostic System. This keyboard was filthy as it was used with greasy fingers in an automotive dealership. I have the video and software from this computer and will try to digitize them to preserve them. The blue keys were specialized to the Mopar application that was written for this computer. You might notice that the Mopar keyboard has no SSK sub-legends so you won't see the front printed legends for the numeric keypad like most SSKs as this mode was not needed (but still works). If there is one thing disappointing about this keyboard (other than scratches and such on the bottom due to use) is that it has a flat printed laminated "IBM" badge. The keyboard cable is also slightly different as it has a flat rubberized keyboard cable. The key caps are two piece buckling spring type (as expected).

The Ford keyboard is almost spotless as it has a rubber cover over the keys when in use. It looks almost unused but I don't know the specific application. This industrial SSK doesn't have any specialized keys and is an IBM Lexmark model with the normal legends and sub-legends for the numeric keypad. It has spill channels built in and the key caps are also two piece buckling spring type. This keyboard has the raised front badge that is seen on other industrial computers and the M15 line.

I was thinking of putting a poll in here on which people liked the most but I am guessing it's the Mopar IBM "blue keys" version just because of the blue keys. I, personally, like the Ford Lexmark keyboard better but those blue keys do look good.

Anyway, here are some pics. Sorry for the dullness. My lighting wasn't too good but hopefully these are acceptable.
IBM INDY SSK - tops
IBM INDY SSK - tops
IBM INDY SSK - tops.JPG (282.65 KiB) Viewed 8962 times
IBM INDY SSK - bottoms
IBM INDY SSK - bottoms
IBM INDY SSK - bottoms.JPG (233.03 KiB) Viewed 8962 times
IBM INDY SSK - internal tops
IBM INDY SSK - internal tops
IBM INDY SSK - internal tops.JPG (263.91 KiB) Viewed 8962 times
IBM INDY SSK - internal bottoms
IBM INDY SSK - internal bottoms
IBM INDY SSK - internal bottoms.JPG (256.69 KiB) Viewed 8962 times
IBM INDY SSK - Mopar IBM 1395682 keyboard
IBM INDY SSK - Mopar IBM 1395682 keyboard
IBM INDY SSK - Mopar IBM 1395682 keyboard.JPG (285.17 KiB) Viewed 8962 times
IBM INDY SSK - Ford Lexmark 41G3600 keyboard
IBM INDY SSK - Ford Lexmark 41G3600 keyboard
IBM INDY SSK - Ford Lexmark 41G3600 keyboard.JPG (275.75 KiB) Viewed 8962 times
IBM INDY SSK - Mopar flat badge
IBM INDY SSK - Mopar flat badge
IBM INDY SSK - Mopar flat badge.JPG (273.55 KiB) Viewed 8962 times
IBM INDY SSK - Ford raised badge
IBM INDY SSK - Ford raised badge
IBM INDY SSK - Ford raised badge.JPG (312.11 KiB) Viewed 8962 times
IBM INDY SSK - Mopar blue keys
IBM INDY SSK - Mopar blue keys
IBM INDY SSK - Mopar blue keys.JPG (269.98 KiB) Viewed 8962 times
IBM INDY SSK - Mopar missing secondary legends
IBM INDY SSK - Mopar missing secondary legends
IBM INDY SSK - Mopar missing secondary legends.JPG (332.85 KiB) Viewed 8962 times
IBM INDY SSK - Ford secondary legends
IBM INDY SSK - Ford secondary legends
IBM INDY SSK - Ford secondary legends.JPG (347.62 KiB) Viewed 8962 times
IBM INDY SSK - Mopar IBM 1395682 rear label
IBM INDY SSK - Mopar IBM 1395682 rear label
IBM INDY SSK - Mopar IBM 1395682 rear label.JPG (225.33 KiB) Viewed 8962 times
IBM INDY SSK - Ford Lexmark 41G3600 rear label
IBM INDY SSK - Ford Lexmark 41G3600 rear label
IBM INDY SSK - Ford Lexmark 41G3600 rear label.JPG (319.02 KiB) Viewed 8962 times
IBM INDY SSK - Mopar tilted view
IBM INDY SSK - Mopar tilted view
IBM INDY SSK - Mopar tilted view.JPG (264.41 KiB) Viewed 8962 times
IBM INDY SSK Ford tilted view
IBM INDY SSK Ford tilted view
IBM INDY SSK Ford tilted view.JPG (274.94 KiB) Viewed 8962 times

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

15 May 2017, 00:07

Nice comparison. I'd go with the Ford I never liked those blue keycaps. Did you ever weigh these I'd love to know how these compare to regular SSK's?

fohat
Elder Messenger

15 May 2017, 00:43

I would go for the Ford hands-down. The raised badge is much nicer.

t!ng
Awake Sheep

15 May 2017, 02:19

Green ALTs, Numpad secondary legends, black raised IBM batch, industrial case color, the whole casing, white/beige dye sub keycaps, coiled cable, undestoyable switches, overall material choices... piece of art

alienman82

15 May 2017, 03:21

removed.
Last edited by alienman82 on 02 Mar 2018, 04:06, edited 1 time in total.

fohat
Elder Messenger

15 May 2017, 04:08

First on race day

ideus

15 May 2017, 05:09

Nice! Being a classic beige colorway fan, I really like these boards.

livingspeedbump
Not what they seem

15 May 2017, 06:04

Very cool to see these compared side by side. Without ever seeing these side by side I'd have just kept assuming the blue keys were the only difference.

Chyros

15 May 2017, 08:29

The blue keycaps are killer. You'd almost convert me to space-saving-ness. The badge on the Ford is a lot better, though.

Those blue keycaps on a 1388032, maybe plus a few wheelwriter caps or so, best keyboard ever?

snoopy

15 May 2017, 13:25

Very nice comparison. Awesome to see those boards together.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

15 May 2017, 13:55

seebart wrote: Did you ever weigh these I'd love to know how these compare to regular SSK's?
The internals look identical to the normal SSK keyboards. As far as I know, there's only two things that might make these "industrial". One would be to take them apart and see of there are any differences in the membranes. Sadly, that won't happen. The other is to check the components to see if they are industrial rated.

I've already taken all of my industrials apart when tey originally came from Ford, including the SSK keyboard above and I don't recall any components being industrial. Industrial rated components are specially made with higher tolerances that normal components. For example, integrated circuits (IC chips) have a higher and lower temperature rating; making them more robust and tolerable for extreme conditions. I did not see anything like this. To be fair, however, these components are usually found in military/space applications so I didn't expect to find those components.

All that said, I think the internals are identical to normal SSKs so weights would be the same. These industrial SSKs are in such small runs that I don't think it's feasible to be internally different anyway.

Harshmallow

15 May 2017, 17:05

I would pick the Ford model with raised IBM badge - the blue keys are nice, but A - I'm a Mustang owner, and B - the normal colors with that raised black badge are just beautiful. I know you never will, but if you ever sell that thing please let me know.

Khers

15 May 2017, 17:10

Out of the two, I'd pick the Ford model due to its lack of blue keys :D

Madhias
BS TORPE

15 May 2017, 20:17

The raised IBM batch is really nice, but the backside sticker is ugly on the Ford model. I'd prefer the Mopar backside!

Return to “Gallery”