[Photos] Post your keyboard/keycaps!

Feels good to have the beast back at home :D I had really missed the beam springs as it has been over three months since it was last in use.

IMG_20180208_181455.jpg
The beast


I also took my first collection shot. From top to bottom:
IBM 5251 (beam spring), IBM Pingmaster (Alps SKCC Green), IBM Model F XT (capacitive buckling springs), Northgate Omnikey 101 (Alps SKCM White pine), Acer 6012 (Alps SKCM Blue), Alps64 (Alps SKCL Green), HHKB Pro 2 (Topre), Ducky Mini (Cherry MX Red)
IMG_20180208_175834.jpg
Collection shot


I also used to have Ducky Zero (MX browns) Ducky Shine 2 (MX blues) and IBM Model M (Ansi with Buckling springs over membane) but those are long gone.
pansku
User avatar
Member of the Beam Spring cult

Unread post08 Feb 2018, 16:38

User avatar
X
pansku
Member of the Beam Spring cult
 
Posts: 136
Joined: 19 Mar 2016, 17:20
Location: Finland
Main keyboard: IBM 5251
Main mouse: Mionix Castor
Favorite switch: Beam spring
Club member: 0197
 
pansku wrote:Feels good to have the beast back at home :D I had really missed the beam springs as it has been over three months since it was last in use.

IMG_20180208_181455.jpg


I also took my first collection shot. From top to bottom:
IBM 5251 (beam spring), IBM Pingmaster (Alps SKCC Green), IBM Model F XT (capacitive buckling springs), Northgate Omnikey 101 (Alps SKCM White pine), Acer 6012 (Alps SKCM Blue), Alps64 (Alps SKCL Green), HHKB Pro 2 (Topre), Ducky Mini (Cherry MX Red)
IMG_20180208_175834.jpg


I also used to have Ducky Zero (MX browns) Ducky Shine 2 (MX blues) and IBM Model M (Ansi with Buckling springs over membane) but those are long gone.

Dream collection right there. Model F and the Pingmaster are my dream boards. But the shipping on the Pingmaster is a bit much :cry: How did you convert it? :)
Dingster
User avatar

Unread post08 Feb 2018, 18:52

User avatar
X
Dingster
 
Posts: 43
Joined: 07 Jan 2018, 13:51
Location: Slovenia
Main keyboard: IBM Model M
Main mouse: Logitech G500
Favorite switch: Cherry vintage MX Black
Club member: -
 
Dingster wrote:
pansku wrote:Feels good to have the beast back at home :D I had really missed the beam springs as it has been over three months since it was last in use.



I also took my first collection shot. From top to bottom:
IBM 5251 (beam spring), IBM Pingmaster (Alps SKCC Green), IBM Model F XT (capacitive buckling springs), Northgate Omnikey 101 (Alps SKCM White pine), Acer 6012 (Alps SKCM Blue), Alps64 (Alps SKCL Green), HHKB Pro 2 (Topre), Ducky Mini (Cherry MX Red)


I also used to have Ducky Zero (MX browns) Ducky Shine 2 (MX blues) and IBM Model M (Ansi with Buckling springs over membane) but those are long gone.

Dream collection right there. Model F and the Pingmaster are my dream boards. But the shipping on the Pingmaster is a bit much :cry: How did you convert it? :)

I have a pro micro flashed with hasus firmware as you can see in top left of photo. The shpping really is a shame. Had I known how amazing Pingmasters are for their price, I would've ordered 3 to keep the shipping to unit cost down.
pansku
User avatar
Member of the Beam Spring cult

Unread post08 Feb 2018, 20:08

User avatar
X
pansku
Member of the Beam Spring cult
 
Posts: 136
Joined: 19 Mar 2016, 17:20
Location: Finland
Main keyboard: IBM 5251
Main mouse: Mionix Castor
Favorite switch: Beam spring
Club member: 0197
 
pansku wrote:
Dingster wrote:
pansku wrote:Feels good to have the beast back at home :D I had really missed the beam springs as it has been over three months since it was last in use.



I also took my first collection shot. From top to bottom:
IBM 5251 (beam spring), IBM Pingmaster (Alps SKCC Green), IBM Model F XT (capacitive buckling springs), Northgate Omnikey 101 (Alps SKCM White pine), Acer 6012 (Alps SKCM Blue), Alps64 (Alps SKCL Green), HHKB Pro 2 (Topre), Ducky Mini (Cherry MX Red)


I also used to have Ducky Zero (MX browns) Ducky Shine 2 (MX blues) and IBM Model M (Ansi with Buckling springs over membane) but those are long gone.

Dream collection right there. Model F and the Pingmaster are my dream boards. But the shipping on the Pingmaster is a bit much :cry: How did you convert it? :)

I have a pro micro flashed with hasus firmware as you can see in top left of photo. The shpping really is a shame. Had I known how amazing Pingmasters are for their price, I would've ordered 3 to keep the shipping to unit cost down.

Was it hard? Never converted anything and im really thinking of getting one :)
Dingster
User avatar

Unread post08 Feb 2018, 21:03

User avatar
X
Dingster
 
Posts: 43
Joined: 07 Jan 2018, 13:51
Location: Slovenia
Main keyboard: IBM Model M
Main mouse: Logitech G500
Favorite switch: Cherry vintage MX Black
Club member: -
 
It is actually quite easy especially in Linux enviroment (physical or virtual).

Step 1: Get a pro micro, the 5 volt 16MHz variant.
Step 2: Design a keymap here http://www.tmk-kbd.com/tmk_keyboard/editor/unimap/?ibm4704_usb_rev1_alps and press the download button to get a .hex file.
Step 3: Check these two sources for wiring: https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/blob/master/converter/ibm4704_usb/README.md and https://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/how-to-use-a-pro-micro-as-a-cheap-controller-converter-like-soarer-s-t8448.html
The pull-ups help make it more reliable as the wire is quite long. Also female headers intended for breadboarding fit the DB-9 connectors pins quite nicely. I will get a proper female connector when I find the time and energy.
Step 4: Check read the first post in that last link carefully. Basically you install avrdude on your computer (hence the linux recommendation. I've done this on both windows and linux machines and I never want the windows driver hell ever again), boot the pro micro into bootloader (the link tells you how), find out which COM port the device is in and then flash the device by typing the following command using your own variables
Code: Select all
avrdude -p atmega32u4 -P YOUR_SERIAL_PORT  -c avr109  -U flash:w:filename.hex

Step 5: Profit! And if something goes wrong just ask the guys at the workshop section. There is a Pingmaster conversion thread there where people have gotten help for troubleshooting :D
pansku
User avatar
Member of the Beam Spring cult

Unread post08 Feb 2018, 21:32

User avatar
X
pansku
Member of the Beam Spring cult
 
Posts: 136
Joined: 19 Mar 2016, 17:20
Location: Finland
Main keyboard: IBM 5251
Main mouse: Mionix Castor
Favorite switch: Beam spring
Club member: 0197
 
pansku wrote:It is actually quite easy especially in Linux enviroment (physical or virtual).

Step 1: Get a pro micro, the 5 volt 16MHz variant.
Step 2: Design a keymap here http://www.tmk-kbd.com/tmk_keyboard/editor/unimap/?ibm4704_usb_rev1_alps and press the download button to get a .hex file.
Step 3: Check these two sources for wiring: https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/blob/master/converter/ibm4704_usb/README.md and https://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/how-to-use-a-pro-micro-as-a-cheap-controller-converter-like-soarer-s-t8448.html
The pull-ups help make it more reliable as the wire is quite long. Also female headers intended for breadboarding fit the DB-9 connectors pins quite nicely. I will get a proper female connector when I find the time and energy.
Step 4: Check read the first post in that last link carefully. Basically you install avrdude on your computer (hence the linux recommendation. I've done this on both windows and linux machines and I never want the windows driver hell ever again), boot the pro micro into bootloader (the link tells you how), find out which COM port the device is in and then flash the device by typing the following command using your own variables
Code: Select all
avrdude -p atmega32u4 -P YOUR_SERIAL_PORT  -c avr109  -U flash:w:filename.hex

Step 5: Profit! And if something goes wrong just ask the guys at the workshop section. There is a Pingmaster conversion thread there where people have gotten help for troubleshooting :D

Thank you so much :D
Dingster
User avatar

Unread post08 Feb 2018, 21:38

User avatar
X
Dingster
 
Posts: 43
Joined: 07 Jan 2018, 13:51
Location: Slovenia
Main keyboard: IBM Model M
Main mouse: Logitech G500
Favorite switch: Cherry vintage MX Black
Club member: -
 
Your welcome! Also the pro micro clones from china work well. No need to spend 20USD for the sparkfun one :)
pansku
User avatar
Member of the Beam Spring cult

Unread post08 Feb 2018, 21:40

User avatar
X
pansku
Member of the Beam Spring cult
 
Posts: 136
Joined: 19 Mar 2016, 17:20
Location: Finland
Main keyboard: IBM 5251
Main mouse: Mionix Castor
Favorite switch: Beam spring
Club member: 0197
 
iArson
User avatar

Unread post10 Feb 2018, 09:04

User avatar
X
iArson
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 03 Dec 2012, 04:30
Location:
Main keyboard: HHKB
Main mouse: FK1*
Favorite switch: Topre
Club member: -
 
Space Station White Norbatouch (silenced) + Plum Numpad w/ MT3 /dev/tty keycaps:

dev_tty_norbatouch.jpg

I'm still getting used to the Hi-Pro dishing, but overall I have to say that this is the best feeling and sounding keyboard I own at this point. It's a match made in keyboard heaven.
zslane
User avatar

Unread post10 Feb 2018, 18:04

User avatar
X
zslane
 
Posts: 2472
Joined: 22 Jul 2015, 23:54
Location: Los Angeles, California, USA
Main keyboard: RealForce RGB
Main mouse: Basic Microsoft USB mouse
Favorite switch: Topre
Club member: -
 
Not a usually big fan of flashy colors but this one is actually well balanced and nice looking.
Luna
User avatar

Unread post10 Feb 2018, 21:25

User avatar
X
Luna
 
Posts: 66
Joined: 29 Jan 2018, 19:34
Location: Belgium
Main keyboard: FC660C
Main mouse: Zowie EC2-B
Favorite switch: Topre
Club member: -
 
 
Currently experimenting and floating between 60 and 80%.
Love good headphones that cost less than my kidneys.
Varmilo Contactless EC Switch Keyboard
ImageImage

I won this back in January and have been using it everyday at work. I'm going to be honest, I don't know much about contactless switches other than the fact that they should last longer.
siobhan

Unread post13 Feb 2018, 13:58

X
siobhan
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 17 May 2017, 14:19
Location: US
Main keyboard: XD64
Club member: -
 
Some of my new artisan keycaps

27788053_10213102591338214_2442910324185151336_o.jpg

Jellykey - Shangri La Flows: The Deity's tear Lake.

27788634_10213147694905775_8858602758737294168_o.jpg

Shangri La Flows: Hymning Stream

DSC05459.jpg

Ryujin Enter/Shift

DSC05480.jpg

Ryujin Enter/Shift
cucgach

Unread post19 Feb 2018, 15:59

X
cucgach
 
Posts: 18
Joined: 19 Oct 2017, 15:19
Location: Vietnam
Main keyboard: Filco TKL, Leopold 660M
Main mouse: Razer DA, Logitech G502
Favorite switch: Zealious 67g
Club member: -
 
Sorry to say this but that enter / shift has got to be the dumbest thing I've seen so far in the keyboard community and I've seen a lot of dumb shit.

Someone needs to make a Hellraiser enter key :D
gogusrl
User avatar

Unread post19 Feb 2018, 16:34

User avatar
X
gogusrl
 
Posts: 1332
Joined: 13 Sep 2014, 09:21
Location: Romania
Main keyboard: Cherry G80-1851
Main mouse: Logitech G9x
Favorite switch: linear stuff
Club member: -
 
gogusrl wrote:Sorry to say this but that enter / shift has got to be the dumbest thing I've seen so far in the keyboard community and I've seen a lot of dumb shit.

Someone needs to make a Hellraiser enter key :D

Porcupine.
Techno Trousers
User avatar
100,000,000 actuations

Unread post19 Feb 2018, 16:48

User avatar
X
Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations
 
Posts: 919
Joined: 14 Jun 2013, 01:16
Location: California
Main keyboard: IBM Model F-122
Main mouse: Mionix Naos
Favorite switch: Capacitive Buckling Spring (Model F)
Club member: 0159
 
gogusrl wrote:Sorry to say this but that enter / shift has got to be the dumbest thing I've seen so far in the keyboard community and I've seen a lot of dumb shit.

Someone needs to make a Hellraiser enter key :D

Haha.. it's useless but it looks cool :lol:
cucgach

Unread post19 Feb 2018, 17:44

X
cucgach
 
Posts: 18
Joined: 19 Oct 2017, 15:19
Location: Vietnam
Main keyboard: Filco TKL, Leopold 660M
Main mouse: Razer DA, Logitech G502
Favorite switch: Zealious 67g
Club member: -
 
gogusrl wrote:Someone needs to make a Hellraiser enter key :D

No. It should be the Esc key.
depletedvespene
User avatar

Unread post20 Feb 2018, 12:36

User avatar
X
depletedvespene
 
Posts: 489
Joined: 13 Jul 2017, 21:11
Location: Chile
Main keyboard: IBM Model F122
Main mouse: Logitech G700s
Favorite switch: buckling spring
Club member: -
 
depletedvespene wrote:
gogusrl wrote:Someone needs to make a Hellraiser enter key :D

No. It should be the Esc key.
why not a hellraiser spacebar? ;)
Phenix
User avatar
-p

Unread post20 Feb 2018, 13:15

User avatar
X
Phenix
-p
 
Posts: 984
Joined: 06 Jan 2016, 13:06
Location: Germany, Cologne
Main keyboard: F122, soarer´d|Novatouch-s
Main mouse: Roccat Kone Pure|Rollermouse
Favorite switch: BS F|Topre-s
Club member: -
 
 
-p
Image
Blaise170
User avatar
Alps is Love

Unread post20 Feb 2018, 15:20

User avatar
X
Blaise170
Alps is Love
 
Posts: 888
Joined: 30 Oct 2014, 22:18
Location: Boston, MA
Main keyboard: Avid KB-654
Main mouse: Logitech G602
Favorite switch: Blue Alps SKCM
Club member: 0129
 
 
Just returned from an extended hiatus! I've been gone since 2016 so if you needed me in the meantime, sorry. Feel free to ask me anything now though. ;)
Phenix wrote:
depletedvespene wrote:
gogusrl wrote:Someone needs to make a Hellraiser enter key :D

No. It should be the Esc key.
why not a hellraiser spacebar? ;)

Nowthat'sdefinitelyoutofthequestion.
depletedvespene
User avatar

Unread post20 Feb 2018, 16:35

User avatar
X
depletedvespene
 
Posts: 489
Joined: 13 Jul 2017, 21:11
Location: Chile
Main keyboard: IBM Model F122
Main mouse: Logitech G700s
Favorite switch: buckling spring
Club member: -
 
depletedvespene wrote:
Phenix wrote:
depletedvespene wrote:[quote="gogusrl";p=400762]Someone needs to make a Hellraiser enter key :D

No. It should be the Esc key.
why not a hellraiser spacebar? ;)

Nowthat'sdefinitelyoutofthequestion.[/quote]

Didn’t you missed a #hashtag
Phenix
User avatar
-p

Unread post20 Feb 2018, 16:37

User avatar
X
Phenix
-p
 
Posts: 984
Joined: 06 Jan 2016, 13:06
Location: Germany, Cologne
Main keyboard: F122, soarer´d|Novatouch-s
Main mouse: Roccat Kone Pure|Rollermouse
Favorite switch: BS F|Topre-s
Club member: -
 
 
-p
Blaise170 wrote:Image

Dude! This is the kind of torment not even Pinhead deserves!

Spoiler:
(my ex, on the other hand...)
depletedvespene
User avatar

Unread post20 Feb 2018, 16:38

User avatar
X
depletedvespene
 
Posts: 489
Joined: 13 Jul 2017, 21:11
Location: Chile
Main keyboard: IBM Model F122
Main mouse: Logitech G700s
Favorite switch: buckling spring
Club member: -
 
depletedvespene wrote:
Blaise170 wrote:Image

Dude! This is the kind of torment not even Pinhead deserves!

Spoiler:
(my ex, on the other hand...)

Could be worse. At least it isn't MEI switches. The very definition of torture.
Blaise170
User avatar
Alps is Love

Unread post20 Feb 2018, 16:45

User avatar
X
Blaise170
Alps is Love
 
Posts: 888
Joined: 30 Oct 2014, 22:18
Location: Boston, MA
Main keyboard: Avid KB-654
Main mouse: Logitech G602
Favorite switch: Blue Alps SKCM
Club member: 0129
 
My dream of a HHKB with trackpoint has finally come to fruition:

Image

Need holes cut in the GHB caps, and I'm getting some coloured blank keys for the mouse, but all good so far!
daedalus
User avatar
Buckler Of Springs

Unread post20 Feb 2018, 23:51

User avatar
X
daedalus
Buckler Of Springs
 
Posts: 648
Joined: 03 Feb 2011, 01:19
Location: Ireland
Main keyboard: Model M SSK
Main mouse: CST Lasertrack and Corsair M60
Favorite switch: Buckling Spring, Beam Spring
Club member: 0087
 
Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests