Raytheon 6104-04

HaaTa
Master Kiibohd Hunter

29 Nov 2015, 08:14

So, Ima try something. Let's see if I can post one new keyboard everyday, until...well, when I can't anymore?

So, first off, something from one of those companies that likes to make missiles: Raytheon.
OEM'd by that Cortron company (with the older style of the ITW Magnetic Valve/Pulse switches).
Looks to be from sometime in 1979 (though it's basically in new condition).

ImageDSC_1644
ImageDSC_1642
ImageDSC_1639
ImageDSC_1627

So many layers...
ImageDSC_1620

Also, that plastic is sharp, definitely cut myself on it :/
ImageDSC_1610

Yay! A clicker. Now this particular Deltrol clicker has been incorrectly called a solenoid. It's not!
It's an electromagnet with a spring. There's a difference! (no shaft that moves within the coil)
ImageDSC_1580
ImageDSC_1578

ImageDSC_1582
ImageDSC_1575

ImageDSC_1572

Locking switch.
ImageDSC_1568

Which says lock :P
ImageDSC_1569

ImageDSC_1533

Flickr Album

zslane

29 Nov 2015, 08:29

Is that a "back tab" key under the backspace key?

HaaTa
Master Kiibohd Hunter

29 Nov 2015, 09:05

Looks like it. I've seen it on a few other keyboards like this one: Image
Burroughs TP130

orihalcon

29 Nov 2015, 19:15

So what type of switch is it? Doesn't look quite like Hall effect from the PCB... Are the caps hall effect compatible, they do look similar I'll admit :)

HaaTa
Master Kiibohd Hunter

30 Nov 2015, 01:34

It's ITW Magnetic Valve. Which uses magnetism to stop the flow of current (which signals a press).
A Hall Effect switch detects the strength of the magnetic field directly.

Unfortunately, ITW keycaps are not compatible with Honeywell Hall Effect switches (even though they look really really close). Size is a bit different.

dzhoou

03 Dec 2015, 04:50

Any data on the durability of Magnetic Valve switches? That is, do they come close to Honeywell HE?

HaaTa
Master Kiibohd Hunter

03 Dec 2015, 05:45

Mechanicals are very similar so I'd rate them about the same.

Sense mechanism, you could argue that magnetic valve uses passive rather than active components so it's actually more reliable in that respect.
But tbh, it's the spring that'd wear out first by a long shot if the same electrical environment.

JanitorJoe

03 Dec 2015, 08:26

I bought one of these a month ago when it was posted in the interesting finds thread. I really like it, the switches feel nice and it's definitely my prettiest board. Is there any way to go about actually making it usable?

HaaTa
Master Kiibohd Hunter

03 Dec 2015, 08:30

Might be possible, but would need to be reverse engineered, then if the protocol looks good a protocol converter could be made.

Worst case, a new controller would be necessary, which is a bit tricky as I'm not sure anyone has made a magnetic valve controller in the community yet.

I'm super swamped, so I'm not the person to ask unless you can show up to my place with a case of beer and get me to focus on it :lol: (this has been done to some success in the past)

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

05 Dec 2015, 03:57

Christ, HaaTa, where do you find this stuff.

guk
1896 Vintage Reds

05 Dec 2015, 04:03

There were multiple units on ebay.

mr_a500

30 Dec 2015, 21:33

I knew they were ITW magnetic valve! From the first look at those keycaps over a year ago, that's what I thought.

Here's the terminal they're from:
Raytheon Distributed_Processing.jpg
Raytheon was a defence contractor who also made terminals from 1972 to around 1984. From what I can see, their terminals always used Licon/ITW magnetic valve switches.
Raytheon terminal.jpg

mr_a500

11 Jun 2017, 13:13

The movie Coma (1978):

Return to “Gallery”