The Alps Plate Spring G80-1000

Mattr567

24 Nov 2017, 00:51

So just completed my latest project! ;) The APS G80-1000! Sounds weird right? Cherry and Alps together?! :o

But it works. This project aims to re-case the IBM P70, as its case frankly sucks. Flimsy and flat, made as a side panel for the IBM P70. I chose to use the G80-1000 since its a pcb mount case like the P70; I figured it would be easiest to get working. However, it wasn't a simple drop-in fit. I had to do some reworking of the original PCB:

First I had to make some cuts. The bottom piece with the metal bar, the detachable connector area and the top two corner areas which are just holes to save weight all had to go. The case only needed to be slightly modded; cut two pegs that stick out of the top case so the PCB is able to sit flat against it.

Next was the LED problem. The original ones don't line up with the new case so I had to desolder the old ones and put new ones in so I could line them up with the long legs. I broke a few LED pads and had to handwire them as well. Finally I had to wire it up with a cable. I used a OG Dell AT101 cable for this and it works/looks great. Additionally, I used OG Dell AT101 keycaps to replace the meh thin P70 caps.

How it looked in the end:

Final assembly:

I am super pleased with the result - it looks factory!!! :D I'm really surprised no one has tried this before. APS is a fantastic switch, and the P70 provides a usable layout (unlike JIS :lol: ) but with a few flaws (thin caps, crappy case) and now I have fixed these issues and I love it! 8-)

Daniel Beardsmore

24 Nov 2017, 01:05

That's definitely one that needs a demonstration video. It also needs something putting under the LED panel to stop the light coming out from around the LED windows — may as well fix that blunder while you're at it :) #petpeeve

depletedvespene

24 Nov 2017, 01:38

Dude, nice job! It definitely looks really good.

Elrick

24 Nov 2017, 04:27

Mattr567 wrote: So just completed my latest project! ;) The APS G80-1000! Sounds weird right? Cherry and Alps together?! :o

Final assembly:
You remind me of those old guys, who can design and manufacture hot rods. Old styled cars with blown out engines and transmissions. Beautiful to behold and of course very much worshiped when finished, even winning prizes throughout the Car Show circuit.

Keep the ALPs spirit alive and you've done that here :maverick: .

Mattr567

24 Nov 2017, 05:37

Elrick wrote: You remind me of those old guys, who can design and manufacture hot rods. Old styled cars with blown out engines and transmissions. Beautiful to behold and of course very much worshiped when finished, even winning prizes throughout the Car Show circuit.

Keep the ALPs spirit alive and you've done that here :maverick: .
Well I also work on and am 'building' my car so that makes sense? :lol:

Here's a typing test video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEm8TwYdjFQ

Chyros

24 Nov 2017, 06:57

Wait, what? This is possible?! XD

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

24 Nov 2017, 08:28

Haha brilliant so this is what you needed that G80 case for. Pure innovation here. Love it.

Where can I buy one of these...? :evilgeek:

Daniel Beardsmore

24 Nov 2017, 09:11

What I've never understood, is why Cherry can't have more stand-offs for the PCB. That PCB flexes a surprising amount, even worse than I saw with my G80-3000. I'll have to listen again later when I have better sound playback, but I do wonder if the sound is impaired by having a wobbly PCB.

seebart

24 Nov 2017, 10:06

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: What I've never understood, is why Cherry can't have more stand-offs for the PCB.
Yes this is one issue that has always bothered me with Cherry cases, oddly enough on some of my Cherry OEM cases like my Olympia G80-0528 or my Nixdorf CT22 its perfect with no flex whatsoever. It only takes a few more stand-offs in the right spot.
Daniel Beardsmore wrote: That PCB flexes a surprising amount, even worse than I saw with my G80-3000. I'll have to listen again later when I have better sound playback, but I do wonder if the sound is impaired by having a wobbly PCB.
Yes the PCB flex is noticable in the video which should be "fixable".

kbdfr
The Tiproman

24 Nov 2017, 10:48

I usually have my keyboards on an even surface, without any other interaction with them than hitting keys,
so to me, flexing is quite a luxury issue as it doesn't impair usability - and I don't really listen to my boards :mrgreen:

seebart

24 Nov 2017, 20:22

kbdfr wrote: I usually have my keyboards on an even surface, without any other interaction with them than hitting keys,
so to me, flexing is quite a luxury issue as it doesn't impair usability - and I don't really listen to my boards :mrgreen:
PCB flexing is more about feel and less about sound...BUT you may be able to hear it on your Cherry keyboards.

:mrgreen:
Spoiler:
S09e06_14.jpg
S09e06_14.jpg (135.03 KiB) Viewed 8149 times

Mattr567

25 Nov 2017, 03:58

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: What I've never understood, is why Cherry can't have more stand-offs for the PCB. That PCB flexes a surprising amount, even worse than I saw with my G80-3000. I'll have to listen again later when I have better sound playback, but I do wonder if the sound is impaired by having a wobbly PCB.
As an update I opened it back up and used crunched up paper as a spacer, works like a charm! Also did some more re-aligning of the PCB since not all of the keys were clearing the case properly.

Typing feel is a lot more solid now :)

Mattr567

25 Nov 2017, 06:18

With the PCB being more solid and there being less flex the sound has also changed. The click is crisper and more pronounced, sounds fantastic imo :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdy9O55jHMc

seebart

25 Nov 2017, 10:23

Mattr567 wrote: As an update I opened it back up and used crunched up paper as a spacer, works like a charm! Also did some more re-aligning of the PCB since not all of the keys were clearing the case properly.

Typing feel is a lot more solid now :)
Nice. Again, where can I buy one of these? :maverick:

Elrick

26 Nov 2017, 02:31

Mattr567 wrote: With the PCB being more solid and there being less flex the sound has also changed. The click is crisper and more pronounced, sounds fantastic imo :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdy9O55jHMc
My GAWD, a certain part of me got completely 'wet and sticky' when I heard that sound. THIS is what ALL keyboards should sound like.

You have to be proud in making this happen and of course creating another ALPs based keyboard which has no other equal.

Onya :!: .

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

28 Nov 2017, 21:02

Those switches sound super smooth!

Congratulations on the wizardry.

paecific.jr

29 Nov 2017, 20:41

You didn't press the space bar! That's the only reason keyboards are worth it!

balotz

29 Nov 2017, 21:11

Are APS anything like Futabas? They sound very similar and seem to work on the same principle (inverting plate spring).

seebart

29 Nov 2017, 21:16

paecific.jr wrote: You didn't press the space bar! That's the only reason keyboards are worth it!
:o :roll: :?:

Mattr567

05 Apr 2018, 07:37

I did a thing :D 5576-001 two piece keycaps.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

06 Apr 2018, 16:47

Incredible conversion - looks just like stock!

Mattr567

29 May 2018, 21:28

This is for sale now btw :)

Return to “Gallery”