Hi-Profile PBT Dye-sub (the time has come)

Nuum

02 Jun 2015, 23:04

You could put a coin or similar with the round side on top of the keycap and measure the diameter of the best fitting coin. That is assuming the dish is a sphere shape and not more like a hyperbolic or parabolic shape.

SL89

02 Jun 2015, 23:25

Wasn't DSA super thick before they made it super thin as well?

Muirium
µ

02 Jun 2015, 23:28

Looking at them just now, it's really more of a parabola. And not rotationally symmetrical either. The curve is flatter along the diagonals to the corners of the cap. Makes sense, as circling the square has never been easy! Or was it the other way around?

Anyway, SA is shallower and less noticeably non spherical. Radius wise: I'd say there's a LOT of difference in fact. SA has a smooth edge around the top while beamspring's deeper dish cuts intersects the top edge more acutely, giving a distinctive thin edge up there, like the rim of a crater.

But yeah, stories: sure. Numbers? Not so much.

SL89

02 Jun 2015, 23:39

Does anyone have access to a 3D scanner maybe?

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

03 Jun 2015, 02:14

Just print out some circles of various radii and see which fit the key top best. That's how I plan to do it.

Yes, I keep meaning to catalog all the sphericals I have. In time.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

03 Jun 2015, 13:56

I see what you did there Matt3o. You've waited the end of the retro GB before announcing this project! :D

matt3o
-[°_°]-

03 Jun 2015, 14:16

ramnes wrote: I see what you did there Matt3o. You've waited the end of the retro GB before announcing this project! :D
don't worry... it's a loooong way to go

Muirium
µ

03 Jun 2015, 14:40

Does our mysterious partner have something like a 3D scanner?

Or, better yet, do you?!?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

03 Jun 2015, 17:07

Muirium wrote: Does our mysterious partner have something like a 3D scanner?

Or, better yet, do you?!?
YES! caps will be 3d scanned. 1:1 replica baby.

Muirium
µ

03 Jun 2015, 17:08

Nice!

potatowire

04 Jun 2015, 20:46

I am sooooooooo excited to see where this goes. I will begin saving right now.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

04 Jun 2015, 23:18

still haven't found a full(ish) vintage set...

Muirium
µ

04 Jun 2015, 23:31

Well it's a bit of a paradox.

How much are we short in Beamspring? I've got those blue and greys plus a 3276. All pictured on the first page.

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

05 Jun 2015, 06:27

Muirium wrote: Well it's a bit of a paradox.

How much are we short in Beamspring? I've got those blue and greys plus a 3276. All pictured on the first page.
And I have your deep dish (J)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

05 Jun 2015, 08:27

Muirium wrote: Well it's a bit of a paradox.

we need a full set of keys under the same profile/typology. I was hoping to see more options, Parak sent me a lot of wonderful pictures but it's practically impossible to get a full set of those funky vintage boards. It seems our best bet would be beam spring, but as I said I cannot 100% guarantee the safety of the precious keyset (even though I'll try to get it back).

So I'm available at purchasing the keys (from you or ebay or anywhere) if necessary.

chzel

05 Jun 2015, 09:15

Hopefully Cindy will come up with the 179 beamsprings!

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

05 Jun 2015, 10:51

Well, how similar are beam spring key caps and Selectric key caps? I thought they were nearly identical. Selectrics are far more common.

Muirium
µ

05 Jun 2015, 11:30

Yeah, I mentioned this to Matteo: Beamspring caps are based on (some generation of) Selectric caps: mount and profiles. And there are a good number of Selectric typewriters out there.

Trouble is I really know dick about Selectrics. They were around for a long time and I wouldn't assume IBM didn't fiddle with them repeatedly. They're also super heavy and bulky, so expensive to ship. And, here's the most annoying part: Beamspring / Selectric caps are insanely tough to pull off! Their very first time especially. They grip like you wouldn't believe. That means sellers are very unlikely to pull them off and ship you a small bag instead.

Cindy handled a good few Selectrics so may know more about them. I recall she found the caps especially rough going! Hypersphere got some Selectric caps for Beamspring work, at some point, as I recall. I'll point them here to see if they know what we're after.

@Matteo: I'm willing to take the China risk with my grey/blue set as its spare and incomplete anyway. (Where are U!?) My 3276 caps, well, let's see what Cindy digs ups in her latest haul. I do have a second 3276 in America so I could step in if I really need to.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

05 Jun 2015, 11:40

Thanks, Mu. Let's keep hunting. It's good to know we have a backup plan anyway

Muirium
µ

05 Jun 2015, 11:56

Of course, you know I consider this MX mount project as a mere stepping stone to the good stuff! Same profile: on Topre = supreme HiPro!!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

05 Jun 2015, 11:58

switching stem wouldn't be an issue... and considering that my main driver is a Topre you can safely say that I'm dedicated.

Muirium
µ

05 Jun 2015, 12:00

Yes sir!

pasph

05 Jun 2015, 12:12

matt3o
-[°_°]-

05 Jun 2015, 12:16

they pop up on ebay once in a while. can't find them right now

Muirium
µ

05 Jun 2015, 12:16

I think 7bit might still have one of those.

Looks nice. But come to think of it, someone's working on something much like it already!

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

05 Jun 2015, 12:54

I've got one of those too. They're still $25 new.

scottc

05 Jun 2015, 12:57

Wheybags has one and he's in the EU and not currently under a mountain of caps.

chzel

05 Jun 2015, 13:02

OT:How do they feel? I've been wanting a JP one for long! I think Soarer had made a converter?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

05 Jun 2015, 13:12

maybe I've found one...

Muirium
µ

05 Jun 2015, 13:24

Don't let the beamspring dream die already! Gah!!

Return to “Workshop”