What layout do you use?

Chyros

23 Jul 2016, 23:00

Rimrul wrote: By that counting BAE also counts as one. The same as a 10u spacebar would.
No, because a BAE is only one key in a BAE footprint while ISO and ANSI enters have room for another key in the same footprint. A BAE necessitates putting the second key somewhere else, so you need to make either another key smaller (AT/Focus) or sacrifice some unused space (Northgate). A 10 u spacebar usually doesn't leave room for more than two modifier keys instead of the usual four, costing two keys.

richfiles

24 Jul 2016, 10:03

Logitech_DiNovoEdge.png
Logitech_DiNovoEdge.png (32.91 KiB) Viewed 4693 times
Currently, I type on a Logitech DiNovo Edge that has seen better days... And yes, those are some REALLY weird key sizes... a 5.75u space, and all the side keys like tab, Enter, Shift, etc... are all short by 0.25u. It inspired the concept of the modified 75% layout I'd later build. When I saw the Danger Zone set at Massdrop, I decided I wanted a similar layout, with similar extra keys on the right, but using stock key sizes across the board... board... :roll: Anyway, the Logitech has both a trackpad and a touch sensitive volume control on the right. I like the idea of the volume controls, but it's not very responsive. The trackpad only gets used if I take the keyboard away from the computer, as it is Bluetooth. Quite frankly, I really do like the layout. It's nice and compact, but Logitech wastes that compactness... While they do use it on the right for a trackpad, they have a wide border on the left too. All that space, wasted on just a few small round buttons. A sleep button, a SECOND left mouse button... and some view scale buttons that don't work on my Mac. The Function [Fn] key brings up glowing backlit legends above the function row for things like media keys, browser keys, macro keys, and the Scroll Lock and Pause keys. I never use any of them, cause none of them really do anything on a Mac.
Keyboard_DZ_75+1_Top.jpg
Keyboard_DZ_75+1_Top.jpg (411.13 KiB) Viewed 4706 times
This is what I have spent the past half year building. I'm trying to slog through the code to make the TMK firmware work, but I'm not very good at C, so it's slow going. With any luck, this keyboard will be (very) soon replacing the old Logitech. I kept the volume controls, but now have them on dedicated keys. Print Screen is mapped to my screenshot feature on my Mac, and is the RAF Roundel key, cause it sorta reminds me of a camera lens (if you don't think of it as a target first :lol: ). The Danger Zone key will act as a layer key (for example, Danger Zone + Backspace will give me Delete). The D✭Z key will likely serve as a mode key of some sort, or a second layer key when held. I'll likely make both the vault keys and it (when tapped) all serve as additional Function keys.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

25 Jul 2016, 00:51

Loving my xt layout right now, but on a normalish board, I use the infinity layout on my alps64.

shreebles
Finally 60%

25 Jul 2016, 10:15

mike52787 wrote: infinity layout
That means, HHKB layout but with three more keys in the bottom row, like the infinity keyboard?

crazyjesse

25 Jul 2016, 12:13

[deleted]
Last edited by crazyjesse on 08 Apr 2021, 13:16, edited 1 time in total.

ohaimark
Kingpin

25 Jul 2016, 12:16

You could use one of these with a USB Soarer's.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Parblo-PR200w-one ... 1159652970

Chyros

25 Jul 2016, 13:30

ohaimark wrote: You could use one of these with a USB Soarer's.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Parblo-PR200w-one ... 1159652970
Minimalist people be fucking weird as shit :p . What's the point of that thing?! :lol:

scottc

25 Jul 2016, 13:32

I think it makes sense for gaming at least, would be pretty well-suited to an FPS or something.

shreebles
Finally 60%

25 Jul 2016, 13:56

Yes, it could fill a niche. For example, I could see myself typing full-time on a buckling spring keyboard but not gaming.
I could have a F62 and a linear gaming pad next to it for playing FPSs.

An OSU! keypad is much too small, and a numpad too, probably.

However, that eBay thing may be a bit too big for me. With it's wide bezels, it's almost as wide as a 40%, which would make an acceptable gaming keypad in itself if you don't need too many hotkeys. Also, why the F** did they put a Winkey on there? That's pretty dumb if the purpose is really gaming, as pressing that key takes you straight to the desktop in many games.

Phenix
-p

25 Jul 2016, 14:09

For gaming an left-half of an ergodox is quite nice

And you can always block the winkey with software..

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

25 Jul 2016, 15:32

shreebles wrote:
mike52787 wrote: infinity layout
That means, HHKB layout but with three more keys in the bottom row, like the infinity keyboard?
Yeah, Its pretty much that. I really like it. Unfortunately 6u alps spacebars are impossible to find, but I modded a focus spacebar to fit mine. it doesnt look good, but it works.

zslane

25 Jul 2016, 22:03

Surely there are customizable game controllers out there that are better at being video game controllers than tiny keyboards and half-Ergos...

Slom

25 Jul 2016, 23:53

My layout is ISO-DE with the following additions:
ASDF-Arrows with whatever key is on the position where the Poker has it's FN key
Caps-Lock remapped to AltGr
all the ISO-keys that are missing with with BAE-Keyboards remapped to right homerow+AltGr
keyboard-layout.png
keyboard-layout.png (32.63 KiB) Viewed 4591 times

wobbled

26 Jul 2016, 00:45

I use ANSI but I really do prefer ISO.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

26 Jul 2016, 00:48

You brits are crazy, it seems the only bad parts of the xt layout are the only ones you kept xD vertical enter and split left shift are my 2 least favorite parts about my F XT.

wobbled

26 Jul 2016, 00:54

mike52787 wrote: You brits are crazy, it seems the only bad parts of the xt layout are the only ones you kept xD vertical enter and split left shift are my 2 least favorite parts about my F XT.
The vertical enter on the XT is horrible, I simply can't use it, nor can I use the tiny backspace on the AT Model F's. Modern day ISO enter keys are the best though (at least for me).
Last edited by wobbled on 26 Jul 2016, 00:54, edited 1 time in total.

emdude
Model M Apologist

26 Jul 2016, 00:54

@mike52787, personally, I think there are many things wrong with the XT layout, not just the stuff you've mentioned.. :?

One of my biggest quibbles with it is that all of the wide keys are stepped, it's incredible.

scottc

26 Jul 2016, 01:17

mike52787 wrote: You brits are crazy, it seems the only bad parts of the xt layout are the only ones you kept xD vertical enter and split left shift are my 2 least favorite parts about my F XT.
If by Brits you mean "basically everyone in Europe"... :roll:

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

26 Jul 2016, 01:23

scottc wrote:
If by Brits you mean "basically everyone in Europe"... :roll:
It was a joke, I was playing the part of the stupid american. No joke though, I dont like iso layouts.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

26 Jul 2016, 01:24

emdude wrote:@mike52787, personally, I think there are many things wrong with the XT layout, not just the stuff you've mentioned.. :?

One of my biggest quibbles with it is that all of the wide keys are stepped, it's incredible.
I for one like the stepped keys. it adds character.

zslane

26 Jul 2016, 03:55

Yeah, I don't mind a stepped Caps Lock since it has a nice retro look and I almost never use it anyway.

Slom

26 Jul 2016, 07:34

Well the nice thing with my current setup is that for ANSI i would only need to get used to an even smaller common enter area ;)

But you are of course right, this is a bit like only the worst parts of the layouts I use combined. The goal is to switch between retro and modern keyboards without getting too confused.
Last edited by Slom on 26 Jul 2016, 07:38, edited 1 time in total.

Slom

26 Jul 2016, 07:35

zslane wrote: Yeah, I don't mind a stepped Caps Lock since it has a nice retro look and I almost never use it anyway.
That's why I would really recommend to map it to something else.

shreebles
Finally 60%

26 Jul 2016, 10:06

zslane wrote: Surely there are customizable game controllers out there that are better at being video game controllers than tiny keyboards and half-Ergos...
Actually, no, for FPS games a mechanical switch is preferable.
A "real" game controller uses dome switch mechanisms that wear out. I love my 360 controller but after using it a few years for only a few games (mostly racing games) you can really tell some buttons have worn out.
Plus movement with strafing etc. in Shooter games is faster and more accurate with a keyboard.

zslane

26 Jul 2016, 20:42

Sounds to me like there's an opportunity for someone to design and market a higher quality game controller.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

27 Jul 2016, 00:02

Well, there was the Razer Onza, which used mechanical micro switches for the buttons but not the pad. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCXKUAjlbHQ&t=13m10s

The highest quality game controller is of course the XArcade, which uses real micro switches. Since it plugs in via USB and outputs key codes I consider it a keyboard and is hence entirely appropriate to mention here. :-)

http://shop.xgaming.com/collections/arc ... b-included
For all your gaming needs.
For all your gaming needs.
tankstick_tank.jpg (38.84 KiB) Viewed 4411 times
I have one and I love it. It is the second largest board I own, larger than the Beamsprings or even the TI 914. (The Korg Triton wins this contest.)

Wodan
ISO Advocate

02 Aug 2016, 16:54

Currently using this layout on a beautiful IBM XT:
Doing my best at making this keyboard well usable but I am so desperately missing a second left modifier in the bottom row.

Still, growing fond of the idea of having a numpad closely attached and putting in some arrows/function keys. Works surprisingly well for me.

Chyros

02 Aug 2016, 18:17

Wodan wrote: Currently using this layout on a beautiful IBM XT:
Doing my best at making this keyboard well usable but I am so desperately missing a second left modifier in the bottom row.

Still, growing fond of the idea of having a numpad closely attached and putting in some arrows/function keys. Works surprisingly well for me.
That's quite an interesting layout, but aren't you actually DECREASING the amount of keys you have at the ready like that? With the original you have both a numpad and arrow keys, all you need to do is toggle between them. Annoying at first, but you can get used to it with some practice :) .

emdude
Model M Apologist

02 Aug 2016, 18:32

It's kinda like a TKL now, which I think is kinda nice, considering the weirdness of the XT layout. :P

That said, I do also like the 60% + TK sort of layout, like on the Apple M0116 (which is one of my current drivers) or the XT. It's a very practical layout and it saves a bit space too! I don't really care for the nav cluster on the M0116 though.

Also the SKCM Salmons on my M0116 are pretty delicious. ;)

Chyros

02 Aug 2016, 18:42

Yeah, I've got an M0116 with orange ones in really nice condition. The case is almost the same colour as the sliders though xD . VERY satisfying to use. But yeah, the nav sucks balls. A line nav is almost as bad as no nav at all :/ .

Return to “Keyboards”