Apple IIc review (Alps SKCM Amber)

Chyros

27 Aug 2016, 22:39

NOS Alps goodness, this time amber Alps which I've been looking for for a while to be honest. Hope you enjoy the video! :)

E3E

28 Aug 2016, 05:25

I must be the only person that didn't like these very much, haha. I still feel like I need to give them a second chance as, well...

1) they don't really gel well with the rigidity of the carbon fiber plate I had them mounted in in my custom. They did feel AND sound better in the actual Apple IIc. The tactility is just too harsh with such a rigid plate.

2) Clicky switches just lose their charm in 60% cases. They just don't sound as good as they do in their old beefy plastic-cased housings. They sound better in a big TKL though, but the 60%s just don't do it justice, imo.

Need to get my hands on some again. Maybe put them in a deserving vintage, but then I'd need two of these. Uuugh. :P

Anyway, nice to see this switch documented. Now you just need to get an SKCM Ivory/Cream and an SKCM Brown board reviewed. :P

Oh, and I guess SKCL Cream and SKCL Brown if you want to really try and cover them all, and the Canon AP500-II typewriter. The linears aren't so significantly different, but I'd like to hear your opinions on SKCL Browns and Creams. :P

emdude
Model M Apologist

28 Aug 2016, 06:38

Great review! I agree, Amber Alps sound positively awesome, second only to Blue Alps and definitely better than anything Cherry. :)

Definitely do try to make use of the entire board and not just the switches, the key caps are gorgeous, IMO.

Chyros

28 Aug 2016, 14:37

E3E wrote: I must be the only person that didn't like these very much, haha. I still feel like I need to give them a second chance as, well...

1) they don't really gel well with the rigidity of the carbon fiber plate I had them mounted in in my custom. They did feel AND sound better in the actual Apple IIc. The tactility is just too harsh with such a rigid plate.
I know you're not the only one to say so, but I really never noticed much of a difference in tactility depending on the plate. Unless you're using a sponge versus a block of steel I mean, of course, I think the differences are too small for the materials I've felt so far tbh.
2) Clicky switches just lose their charm in 60% cases. They just don't sound as good as they do in their old beefy plastic-cased housings. They sound better in a big TKL though, but the 60%s just don't do it justice, imo.
Glad that you mention that, I was actually afraid that might be the case. Obviously an awesome comparison would be these in a KB-101 case versus the real deal to compare the sound perfectly, but I only have 60 switches obviously, and in a way I think it's more original if I keep these in some kind of 60% layout. As much as I hate 60% xD . I'm typing on a 75% now and even that is restrictive as fuck, I feel crippled xD .
Anyway, nice to see this switch documented. Now you just need to get an SKCM Ivory/Cream and an SKCM Brown board reviewed. :P

Oh, and I guess SKCL Cream and SKCL Brown if you want to really try and cover them all, and the Canon AP500-II typewriter. The linears aren't so significantly different, but I'd like to hear your opinions on SKCL Browns and Creams. :P
Man, I didn't even know SKCL Cream were also used as a main keyboard switch Oo . So it's actually five I haven't reviewed then:

-SKCM brown
-SKCL brown
-SKCM cream
-SKCL cream
-SKCL yellow (yeah, that's a rather gaping hole right there innit? xD)
emdude wrote: Great review! I agree, Amber Alps sound positively awesome, second only to Blue Alps and definitely better than anything Cherry. :)

Definitely do try to make use of the entire board and not just the switches, the key caps are gorgeous, IMO.
Ideally I could convert the ribbon connector directly to USB so I can keep the original plate and PCB, and use some kind of custom keyboard case. That's the easiest and most original way to do it I guess... but also one of the least practical xD .

zslane

28 Aug 2016, 18:04

Um, what is SKC? How does it relate to Alps?

Chyros

28 Aug 2016, 18:10

zslane wrote: Um, what is SKC? How does it relate to Alps?
wat

Khers

28 Aug 2016, 18:18

E3E wrote: [...]
[...]
I've read this statement several times, so I must be weird or something as I much prefer the sound of my blues in a 60 as compared to full size :mrgreen:

zslane

28 Aug 2016, 18:33

Chyros wrote:
wat
I know that Alps are a kind of switch. But I see "SKCx" mentioned over and over and I don't know what that is or how it relates to Alps switches.

Chyros

28 Aug 2016, 18:45

I really wonder what these would sound like in a wooden case. I have no idea what wood does to a switch sound. Of course, with Alps, it's all about that bass ('bout that bass).

Chyros

28 Aug 2016, 18:46

zslane wrote:
Chyros wrote:
wat
I know that Alps are a kind of switch. But I see "SKCx" mentioned over and over and I don't know what that is or how it relates to Alps switches.
Many Alps switches have part numbers that start with SKC. The SKCM switches were tactilec/clicky, and the linear ones were SKCL. The switch series before that started with SKCC.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

29 Aug 2016, 13:41

Nice review as usual. I'm probably the only guy who will notice but you had a picture of an Apple IIc Plus in the beginning of the video and those usually have Alps SKCM Orange. You probably knew that but I just wanted to point that out. You made me dig them out to check :)

Apple IIc Plus (Orange) on top and IIc (Amber) on bottom.
Apple IIc Plus (top) and IIc (bottom)
Apple IIc Plus (top) and IIc (bottom)
Apple IIc Plus and IIc.jpg (206.18 KiB) Viewed 4550 times

Chyros

29 Aug 2016, 14:15

Nope, I did not know that, in fact I know fuck all about Apple hardware xD . I just picked a picture that looked good xD .

alh84001
v.001

29 Aug 2016, 22:37

And I was just about to ask when can we expect review of ambers. Just don't tell me you found it in recycling center XD.

I also plan to just slap mine in some kind of custom case and use retroconnector, but that will have to wait for now. I originally planed to do a variable Alps build, combining these with blue alps, but their tactility is sufficiently different, that I chose not to. Another option is to do a clicky/tactile combo with SKCM browns if I ever get my hands on them, as they should be similar in feeling.

And I didn't even notice that homing bump on the right arrow. Apple fans should also like the apple 1u keys.

emdude
Model M Apologist

29 Aug 2016, 22:56

I don't think Ambers and Browns feel similar at all, aside from both being a bit stiff. Unlike Browns, Ambers' drop in resistance when actuated is more like typical clicky alps, sharp compared to the more rounded feeling of Browns.

Chyros

29 Aug 2016, 23:58

alh84001 wrote: And I was just about to ask when can we expect review of ambers. Just don't tell me you found it in recycling center XD.
No, I traded for this one.

(with a keyboard I found at the recycling centre xD)

alh84001
v.001

30 Aug 2016, 00:40

emdude wrote: I don't think Ambers and Browns feel similar at all, aside from both being a bit stiff. Unlike Browns, Ambers' drop in resistance when actuated is more like typical clicky alps, sharp compared to the more rounded feeling of Browns.
I must be mistaken then. I kind of remember someone on GH mentioning their similarity recently. Maybe it was just the stiffness and not an overall feel.

E3E

30 Aug 2016, 09:12

Yeah, the similarity is in stiffness, and with the rigidity of the CF plate I was using them on, that bottom out was veeeeerrry similar. But yeah, like what emdude is saying, SKCM Brown's and Amber's curves are like the antithesis of one another.

One is very rounded, the other is very sharp. They're both stiff, and the bottom out (imo) is very similar feeling for whatever reason.

Ambers are like if you took a clicky Alps switch and bent the leaf legs a bit outwards.

Man, I need to find some more, just to give them one more shot before condemning them for good. :P

richfiles

11 Oct 2016, 11:36

Ambers... With out a doubt, my favorite switch of everything I've ever tried.

Return to “Reviews”