E&E 101MD: blue sliders, linear switches, wtf?

ohaimark
Kingpin

28 Aug 2016, 23:25

y11971alex sent me this odd gem a while back on the cheap. Its gimmick? Linear switches with blue Aruz-like sliders for all of its unstabilized keys.

The blue switches respond very well to PTFE dry lubricant -- I was impressed with their smoothness once I cleaned and sprayed them. They're how a linear simplified switch should be done, frankly.

The stabilized keys use some sort of Green Alps clone.

Dra

29 Aug 2016, 02:47

Huh, linear aruz, that's a new one, the slider color seems to be a bit lighter

How are the keycaps? are they similar to the FAME boards with cherrry-like thickness?

ohaimark
Kingpin

29 Aug 2016, 03:01

The keycaps are thin and crappy. They're pad printed.

That's part of the reason why I said it was Aruz-like. It's probably an unknown clone from some saucy company.

terrycherry

29 Aug 2016, 04:43

Thanks to show the internal. It's not a clone of Tai-Hao Aruz(I like to name this switch to Himake Aruz). It is the unbrand variant of Tai-Hao Aruz. Their different between: Tai-Hao Aruz well-made than no logo variant.
Only E&E keyboard have this no logo variant.
photos-f62/let-s-have-a-look-at-the-t-a ... 13709.html
wiki-talk-f33/wiki-wrong-name-about-alp ... 14105.html

And I hope to see the metal leaves of the unknown green alps clone switch.

y11971alex

29 Aug 2016, 09:23

ohaimark wrote: The keycaps are thin and crappy. They're pad printed.

That's part of the reason why I said it was Aruz-like. It's probably an unknown clone from some saucy company.
Really? I thought some of the caps were double shot? :shock:

Dra

29 Aug 2016, 12:53

I thought they were the standard aruz doubleshots as well, but on closer inspection you can see the difference

if you like the feel of the aruz keep an eye out for something that's coming up from a buddy of mine ;)

ohaimark
Kingpin

29 Aug 2016, 19:44

y11971alex wrote:

The majority are pad printed. Some are doubleshot, but those are <10% of the keys on the 'board.

y11971alex

29 Aug 2016, 23:12

ohaimark wrote:
y11971alex wrote:

The majority are pad printed. Some are doubleshot, but those are <10% of the keys on the 'board.
Man, I feel so bad for selling this thing to you for any price :(

ohaimark
Kingpin

29 Aug 2016, 23:32

No need to feel bad. It was a fun documentation project.

y11971alex

30 Aug 2016, 02:15

My original plan was to harvest caps from this keyboard. :3

duynguyenle

11 Sep 2016, 17:16

Hello ohaimark, could you share what the specific PTFE product you used? I've had decent luck with Alps switches and Finish Line-branded teflon DFL, but they only come in an oil-based solution and not a spray. Was wondering what product you use and what your process is for cleaning and lubing Alps

ohaimark
Kingpin

11 Sep 2016, 17:49

The best cleaning results seem to come from ultrasonic machines -- a quick search will turn up a thread dedicated to that process.

I use Liquid Wrench L512 spray lubricant.

Edit: but be careful when applying it to clicky switches! It can de-click them to an extent.

duynguyenle

11 Sep 2016, 21:16

Thanks, I'll give it a try the next time I mess around with the switches.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

11 Sep 2016, 22:13

Good pics ohaimark, another one for our wiki. Remember that slider color is overrated. Even Alps Electric may have "only" used different colors for logistics. But as usual I have to say I don't know that for sure. Thanks for your infos terrycherry.

Return to “Gallery”