Can someone help me source these keys please...

rominronin

09 Sep 2016, 09:52

So I'd like to build a custom keyboard that is based on the truly ergonomic keyboard: https://www.trulyergonomic.com/store/tr ... 27-english.

Here is my layout:

Direct link -> http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/# ... 2e280b70b1

Firstly, I'm unsure of the dimensions of a switch hole that can accommodate a two-switch 2u keycap OR a one-switch+two-stab 2u keycap. If I knew exactly which type of keycaps I could get then I'd design the switch plate file to fit the right kind.

Secondly, I would also like to get a complete set of keycaps. I *wish* I could get it in cherry profile Carbon, but I believe I'm priced out of that option considering the number of special keys (outside of a base set) that I would need to complete the set.

The center keys, combined with the total number of 2u keys is highly unusual, and so would need to be specially sourced.
Failing that, a straight black keycap with white legends would work, or blanks for the oddly sized modifier keys.

Any help, suggestions or support will be greatly appreciated. PS. I'm often idling on the freenode IRC channel. Ciao!

trebb

09 Sep 2016, 13:58

The 1.25u, row 1 Fn key won't be in many key sets. You could either just replace it by a 1u key, or make your whole modifier column narrower by .25u.

What's the purpose of a two-switch keycap?

pietergen

09 Sep 2016, 21:48

I assume you're talking MX Cherry type keycaps?
- You might specify what sort (DSA, SA, DCS) and what Rows you are looking for.
- the easiest thing would be to use standard keycaps (60% / 75% / 100%, possibly even Ergodox) keycaps. For the middle keys you'll have to find some other solution.
- keys of 1.75u and smaller don't need stabilizers, which make the build easier.

Hopre this helps, probably this is all known to you... Anyway, I like your design... good luck sourcing those caps.

rominronin

19 Sep 2016, 02:09

trebb wrote:The 1.25u, row 1 Fn key won't be in many key sets. You could either just replace it by a 1u key, or make your whole modifier column narrower by .25u.

What's the purpose of a two-switch keycap?
I like the idea both suggestions, thanks.

I don't understand your question - do you jean why 2u instead if 2x 1u?

I guess I could go for the latter..,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Keyboards”