This was in the manual. Seriously...

snuci
Vintage computer guy

29 Sep 2016, 20:55

How to replace a keytop in a Canon AS-100 keyboard... I cringed when I read this.

For the record, the keyboard has Alps SKFL switches.
Canon AS-100 Manual - keytops.jpg
Canon AS-100 Manual - keytops.jpg (109.9 KiB) Viewed 2521 times

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

29 Sep 2016, 22:15

WTF?! And that illustration? This from Canon?

snuci
Vintage computer guy

29 Sep 2016, 23:10

Yup.

The page (including illustration) is from the Canon AS-100 Field Service Manual on the 90th page of the PDF copy (Section 5.3.2). The Field Service manual was only for field service technicians so that makes it almost worse than if it was in a regular user manual.

The computer is from 1983 or 1984 so keyboards weren't "a thing" back then ;) Here's one on eBay with some decent pics. I will take pics of mine with further pics of the keyboard when I get a chance.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

29 Sep 2016, 23:13

And I've been using these stupid wire-thingies all the time. So the pros have been using flat head screwdrivers since the early 80s...

ulises3.14

30 Sep 2016, 00:24

I can't decide what is worst, the screwdriver to pop out the key or the adhesive advice, I bet many of you got heart attacks.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

30 Sep 2016, 16:32

Oh come on boys,
are you all so young you never had to lift a keycap before all these handy tools existed?

New tools do not make old methods invalid:
Spoiler:
Image Image

Cattus_D

30 Sep 2016, 18:13

ulises3.14 wrote: I can't decide what is worst, the screwdriver to pop out the key or the adhesive advice, I bet many of you got heart attacks.
I've actually used screwdrivers for precisely this purpose on a Model M and a Model F. It worked really well, and I didn't notice any kind of damage in either case.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

30 Sep 2016, 22:15

Cattus_D wrote:
ulises3.14 wrote: I can't decide what is worst, the screwdriver to pop out the key or the adhesive advice, I bet many of you got heart attacks.
I've actually used screwdrivers for precisely this purpose on a Model M and a Model F. It worked really well, and I didn't notice any kind of damage in either case.
Model M caps are VERY different than alps caps. doing this with alps caps youll break either the cap or the switch 50% of the time.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

30 Sep 2016, 22:20

For the record, I have broken at least two Alps key caps trying to remove them from Apple keyboards prior to me knowing that key pullers existed. Most people don't even know that key caps come off. I looked on the Internet after breaking the second key cap and found that I could use two bent paper clips and used that for a while but it was a better key puller than a screw driver, at least.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

30 Sep 2016, 22:39

kbdfr wrote: Oh come on boys,
are you all so young you never had to lift a keycap before all these handy tools existed?
DSC_0021.jpg
DSC_0021.jpg (400.72 KiB) Viewed 2254 times
:mrgreen:

Cattus_D

01 Oct 2016, 12:24

mike52787 wrote:
Cattus_D wrote:
Model M caps are VERY different than alps caps. doing this with alps caps youll break either the cap or the switch 50% of the time.
Hmmm... That's good to know, as I've been considering a keyboard with blue alps switches.

Return to “Keyboards”