Deskthority Awards 2016 - Looking for volunteers

webwit
Wild Duck

04 Oct 2016, 22:46

I'm looking for volunteers to help with this year's Deskthority Awards, running somewhere between the end of November and the beginning of December. Doing the whole thing is a lot of work, but if I get some help all tasks should be very manageable. I'll be there to assist and help of course, and matt3o will also be there with the idea that next year the club master will be responsible for the Awards.

There are the following tasks:

Finding sponsors, communicating with sponsors/prize winners and make sure the prizes are shipped.
Example: dta-news-f90/deskthority-awards-2015-ca ... 11713.html

Make a graphical style and create the banners and other graphics for this year's edition. Any artists here?
Example: deskthority-awards-2015-f89/

Round 1: Handle one or more categories by starting round 1 topic and listing the nominees in the OP.
Example: call-for-nominees-f91/the-deskthority-l ... 12152.html

Round 2: Handle one or more categories by starting round 2 topics based on the nominees from round 1.
Example: vote-for-nominees-f92/best-keyboard-swi ... 12229.html

Round 3: Handle one or more categories by writing texts about the nominees and starting round 3 topics.
Example: final-vote-f93/best-input-device-innova ... 12300.html

Winners: Announce the winners from one or more categories.
Example: results-f94/the-deskthority-award-2015-t12372.html

Wignuts: Collect addresses and ship the Wingnuts, ideally nicely presented.
Example: post277136.html#p277136

Management of all of the above: For the really ambitious. I'll do it if no one wants that job.

You can pick one small task or multiple tasks, whatever suits you and your spare time.
If you are interested please send me a PM!

webwit
Wild Duck

05 Oct 2016, 12:53

Sorry everyone, due to lack of interest this year's edition has been cancelled. See you next year! (maybe)

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

05 Oct 2016, 14:19

:(

I can't think about doing this with everything else going on in my life but I'm really sad to see this not happening.

I nominate ohaimark to volunteer. :evilgeek:

andrewjoy

05 Oct 2016, 15:09

I dont think i would have time to take on a full task, but i can help out a bit if you need anything

Findecanor

05 Oct 2016, 15:14

The first point looks to me like the biggest task, and for me personally also the least important. I have won a couple of things previous years but that was never why I voted. I don't know about you others.

Also, giving up after only fourteen hours? Give it a week, or at least a few days! Even some of our most active members don't visit more than once a day. Some people visit forums only on weekends (unless they have something special going on there).
Last edited by Findecanor on 05 Oct 2016, 16:21, edited 1 time in total.

chzel

05 Oct 2016, 15:19

Hey, 15 hours is too little time to gather responses! Don't despair! I can probably help as well with a few items off that list! DT awards a must!

ohaimark
Kingpin

05 Oct 2016, 15:27

Whatever other people can't do, I'll do. I might need advice, but I'm sure that won't be an issue.

I'm aware that I'd be taking on a lot. Establishing some deadlines would be helpful to me.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

05 Oct 2016, 16:54

I'm super busy those days up to December, so I can't put my name on anything here, but I would be very sad that Deskthority Awards 2016 are cancelled for real. :(

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

05 Oct 2016, 17:12

webwit wrote: Sorry everyone, due to lack of interest this year's edition has been cancelled. See you next year! (maybe)
:roll: :cry:

ohaimark
Kingpin

05 Oct 2016, 17:14

I'd be sad too. I joined right around their start last year. I didn't have the community knowledge to vote, let alone contribute.

This year I'm in a place to do both. Hopefully the duck will reverse his opinion.

seebart

05 Oct 2016, 17:21

It is a lot of work to organize, according to webwit I was the only one to respond to his OP here. If you want the DTA16 then PM webwit with your support people.

ohaimark
Kingpin

05 Oct 2016, 17:29

I already did.

webwit
Wild Duck

05 Oct 2016, 21:32

Good news, ohaimark has volunteered to take over the organisation, and I'm cancelling the cancellation. Behold the new DTA16 kingpin!

chzel

05 Oct 2016, 21:34

webwit wrote: I'm cancelling the cancellation. Behold the new DTA16 kingpin!

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

06 Oct 2016, 02:20

Awesome! Thanks a bunch, ohaimark.

vsev

10 Oct 2016, 19:16

Great to see again DT Awards, thanks for your commitment ohaimark !

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

02 Nov 2016, 17:32

Regarding wingnuts, I would keep them only for special awards, it has come to my atention that some winners flipped their wingnuts for top cash. I have tried in vain to buy buck the one I found in the wild but without success :(

ohaimark
Kingpin

02 Nov 2016, 17:58

No problem, forumgoers. Glad to make a difference.

If someone flipped a gold Wingnut some public shaming would be in order. Silver Wingnuts are still disappointing to see in the wild, but you can't prevent people from being asses. In another 4 years or so, for DTA 10, it might be worth having a new trophy designed to maintain the exclusivity of the award.

Eventually we'll die and they'll end up at estate sales anyways. And that's the best case scenario. :lol:

andrewjoy

02 Nov 2016, 18:33

I think we should just put a serial number on each one of them , then we can feather and tar the culprit .

ohaimark
Kingpin

02 Nov 2016, 18:38

As much as I'd like to do that, it probably wouldn't have much impact. File off the serial? Sell it in a hidden manner like stolen artwork? Idk.

All we should do, particularly as a forum that values lassez faire moderation and policy, is rely on the integrity of individuals. Even if that is misguided at times, it's their trophy as soon as it leaves our hands.

At least those are my thoughts on the matter.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

18 Nov 2016, 03:50

I should check this section more often. Thank you, ohaimark, for doing the hard work with these awards.

ohaimark
Kingpin

18 Nov 2016, 04:41

No problem. Thanks for the kudos. The first round is ready and waiting to go live... :D

elecplus

18 Nov 2016, 05:44

Your services are greatly appreciated! I know how busy your schedule is :mrgreen:

seebart

18 Nov 2016, 07:31

vivalarevolución wrote: I should check this section more often. Thank you, ohaimark, for doing the hard work with these awards.
I can confirm ohaimark is a tolerant "kingpin" when it comes to deadlines[of shame]. :mrgreen:

ohaimark
Kingpin

18 Nov 2016, 13:18

I'm a harsh, argumentative, and fair don. What can I say?

How non-DTA team members see me:
Spoiler:
How I see myself:
Spoiler:
How I actually am:
Spoiler:

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

18 Nov 2016, 13:35

Rowan Atkinson is a remarkable likeness. :-P

ohaimark
Kingpin