CNC Aluminium Case for CM TKL boards: Novatouch, Rapid-i, MasterKeys

derzemel

16 Nov 2016, 14:50

**Disclaimer**: I am not the GB leader, I just shared it here. Please contact the GB leader (Norbauer on GH) for details.

Norbauer has started this GB on GeekHack for CNC Aluminium cases that can be used for Novatouch, Rapid-I and MasterKeys Pro S

He has also set up a store for the GB

The most relevant info can be found at the above links, but here are the key points:
  • - Price is $200 for the gray and black anodized models.
    - Riser feet are $15.
    - Custom color (Pantone match) available at a price of $70.
    - Shipping to USA is $14, $35 to Canada, and $45 elsewhere.
    - Shipping target is January or before
    - Shipping from California

Wodan
ISO Advocate

16 Nov 2016, 14:51

This is really epic, I joined a few days ago. Holy funk this is really spending season.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

16 Nov 2016, 15:21

Interesting that it doesn't include the Quickfire Rapid model. Oh well, I don't need to spend that much on a keyboard going into storage soon. :D

derzemel

16 Nov 2016, 15:25

Techno Trousers wrote: Interesting that it doesn't include the Quickfire Rapid model. Oh well, I don't need to spend that much on a keyboard going into storage soon. :D
from what I understood from the IC, the QFR has a different internal structure than the other 3. Maybe CM used another manufacturer for that one.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

16 Nov 2016, 15:26

I believe the QFR was made by a different supplier. It had Costar stabs while the Rapid-i comes with Cherry stabs ... might be part of a larger set of changes under the hood ;)

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

16 Nov 2016, 16:24

Makes sense, thanks.

DrOpBoX

16 Nov 2016, 17:35

wooow so cooooool! but too expensive O_O why all people say that is so cheap? XD

Wodan
ISO Advocate

16 Nov 2016, 17:38

DrOpBoX wrote: wooow so cooooool! but too expensive O_O why all people say that is so cheap? XD
These high end cnc'ed & anodized aluminium cases are always VERY expensive. But they will make you keyboard feel SO much better. It's a completely different thing than injection molded plastic cases ...

DrOpBoX

16 Nov 2016, 18:47

Wodan wrote:
DrOpBoX wrote: wooow so cooooool! but too expensive O_O why all people say that is so cheap? XD
These high end cnc'ed & anodized aluminium cases are always VERY expensive. But they will make you keyboard feel SO much better. It's a completely different thing than injection molded plastic cases ...
Yes, now I can understand, after saw the photos in big scale. WOOOOOOOOOW, I need a job and I need money ahahah
Really really sbaaaaaaaaaaaaaaav

norbauer

17 Nov 2016, 00:53

Hi all. This is Ryan Norbauer from GeekHack (and creator of the Galaxy Class keyset), the guy who is organizing this group buy. Thanks to derzemel for posting this! At his suggestion, I wanted to post here to let anyone know they're welcome to ask any questions and I'll be happy to answer them, either here in this thread or feel free to email me directly.

Just a few days left in the group buy (until Monday), but DeskThority members would be welcome to join. A large number of the participants so far are in Europe. :)

Wodan
ISO Advocate

17 Nov 2016, 06:59

CM is one of the few companies that makes ISO keyboards with plenty of localized keycaps available. "We" can't get a KUL or a Varmillo since they are ANSI only. A Rapid-i/Novatouch with your aluminium case is probably the best retail board available in ISO.

cookie

17 Nov 2016, 16:12

Apple could produce this quite cheap and sell them for 1000 dollar according to be the "Ultra Professional Master Keyboard For Experts Only"

Wonder that they didn't

Wodan
ISO Advocate

17 Nov 2016, 16:34

They kinda reach different MOQs ...

cookie

17 Nov 2016, 17:08

Sadly, yes. That case is absolutely amazing though!

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

17 Nov 2016, 19:38

cookie wrote:Apple could produce this quite cheap and sell them for 1000 dollar according to be the "Ultra Professional Master Keyboard For Experts Only"

Wonder that they didn't
If Apple could, they would perfect the "laser keyboard". You'd put your phone on the desk and it would project a keyboard pattern you drum your fingers on for input. Gamers would go crazy for the 0.0 mm actuation distance!

Scarpia

17 Nov 2016, 20:34

Techno Trousers wrote: If Apple could, they would perfect the "laser keyboard". You'd put your phone on the desk and it would project a keyboard pattern you drum your fingers on for input. Gamers would go crazy for the 0.0 mm actuation distance!
Yeah, but those things SUCK.

I worked at a company back in the mid-naughties where we had a few laser projected keyboards in our technology showroom (along with 3d printers, holographic displays, nanotech and robots) and they were one of my least favorite demos, precisely because they were a prime example of a technology that looked so tantalizing, yet did not work properly, moreover *could never* work properly, and should never have been invented at all. And there we were, showing it off as this new cool thing alongside tech that was truly revolutionary.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

17 Nov 2016, 22:13

Yep, I've heard those suck badly, but even the biggest Apple fan would have to admit that's where they would take their keyboards if they could, not back towards mechanical switches. Laser keyboard combined with air gestures for mouse like functionality.

Shihatsu

18 Nov 2016, 09:52

God, if only I wasn't broke as shit. This is the best case I ever have come to witness. A true beauty. I bow my head, Mr. Norbauer! Any chance of repeating that one, maybe with a fullsize option, somewhere in the future? One can only hope...

cookie

18 Nov 2016, 09:53

Apple fanboys would use EVERYTHING Apple comes up with, I have this little video in mind:

norbauer

18 Nov 2016, 22:01

Shihatsu wrote: God, if only I wasn't broke as shit. This is the best case I ever have come to witness. A true beauty. I bow my head, Mr. Norbauer! Any chance of repeating that one, maybe with a fullsize option, somewhere in the future? One can only hope...
If you want to order one and don't have the money now but might within a couple of months, just let me know and I'll set one aside for you—no problem. Enough people have ordered now that I can safely order a few extras.

I might do a full-size version at some point (also considering doing RealForce cases). It all depends on how much of a headache this group buy turns out to fulfill. All I know is I'm going to be spending a lot of time shipping keyboard cases in a month or two, that's for sure. ;)

Shihatsu

20 Nov 2016, 15:58

If you would order one extra for me and give me a couiple of months to sell some old stuff that would be just tooo good.

norbauer

20 Nov 2016, 23:25

Shihatsu wrote: If you would order one extra for me and give me a couiple of months to sell some old stuff that would be just tooo good.
No problem. Can you send me a PM with your email, shipping address, and let me know which model you want? I'll be happy to set one aside for you.

Shihatsu

21 Nov 2016, 09:29

PM sent :D

norbauer

21 Nov 2016, 10:23

Shihatsu wrote: PM sent :D
Thanks! You're all set. :)

ajx

21 Nov 2016, 17:32

Hello do you have silver as color?
How will it look like?
Thanks

phinix

22 Nov 2016, 00:18

It would be great if we had someone in USA who will travel to Europe when these are out - he could bring us "few" of these...

norbauer

22 Nov 2016, 02:59

ajx wrote: Hello do you have silver as color?
How will it look like?
Thanks
Silver is only an option if you upgrade to a custom color, unfortunately. The way the deal with the factory works is that they are giving us a discount on a handful of stock colors. Any others and there is a large up-charge ($70).

norbauer

22 Nov 2016, 03:22

Friendly reminder: the group buy ends in just a few hours (midnight, PST).

We've hit our MOQ, so no pressure. But I probably won't be doing another group buy for this same case, so if you're on the fence, this is your chance. :)

Orpheo

22 Nov 2016, 10:07

Do you have my order in? I paid just at midnight PST. I pm'd you my info ^^

norbauer

22 Nov 2016, 10:10

Orpheo wrote: Do you have my order in? I paid just at midnight PST. I pm'd you my info ^^
Yes. Order is in and all is well. Thanks! :)

Return to “Group buys”