[MechSupply] UKKeycaps Q-Series Skidata Keyset (Produced by Devlin)

GEIST

10 Jan 2017, 00:52

Is January 10th still the shipping date?

hansichen

10 Jan 2017, 08:42

No idea, there is no communication at all. His shop was closed untill 3rd January, opened for half a day and was closed again. Should have opened again yesterday but nothing happened. Hopefully ukkeycaps can give an update soon.

pdc

10 Jan 2017, 20:23

There is a note on Reddit saying he’s working on a mailout. I’m on tenterhooks. :-)

UKKeycaps

10 Jan 2017, 20:42

An email will be send to all customers this evening!

GEIST

11 Jan 2017, 01:43

The delay is really a bummer and a FOURTH profile too, but I guess these are probably things to expect when dealing with a manufacture, no one else worked with before. I'm still really happy we can get these Devlin caps and I hope not many people want the refund.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

11 Jan 2017, 07:46

Hm not a perfect start for the return of a new profile/manufacturer. 6 weeks delay when the original delivery time was ~10 weeks appears quite hefty.

The profile inconsistencies are okay for me this time just because I really want to see this profile on a keyboard. If Devlin wants to continue selling these caps, at least a get ANSI layout right in the future. We don't need another BSP...

ambalek

11 Jan 2017, 18:21

I'm hoping it might be possible for Devlin to improve this profile in the future, so I could mix the alphas with different modifiers. Assuming the alphas are nice enough that I'm desperate enough to use them over Signature Plastics.

pdc

14 Jan 2017, 21:33

I think for a generic ANSI layout they need to add moulds for 2.25u, 2.75u, and 6.25u if DSA is unsatisfactory for the spacebar. Might be worth their while if it unlocks the ability to sell a lot of key sets.

On the other hand given I am thinking in terms of building a one-off keyboard their capability to produce some sizes you don’t often see intrigues me. According to this 2012 brochure they can create 2.5u, 3u, 4u and 2×2 caps—I wonder what sort of innovative layout I could concoct with some of these—but, alas! weird sizes have little-to-no chance of being the basis of a successful a group buy. :-(

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

21 Feb 2017, 22:37

Any new info about the GB?

UKKeycaps

22 Feb 2017, 01:24

I was hoping to send an email update around tonight - but it will be tomorrow instead (22nd) as I don't have all the info I need currently

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

22 Feb 2017, 21:09

Perfect :)

UKKeycaps

23 Feb 2017, 01:39

Wodan
ISO Advocate

23 Feb 2017, 06:36

LOL-AWAY ...

I'm not in for the Rad-Away caps but they are so off ... he can't be serious.

The whole theme is completely ruined, it's more like Jukebox SA than Fallout.

The Skidata themed caps also look shockingly bad. Thanks for posting honest pictures. The color matching with the SP keycaps are so off, I could find something better in a grab bag. The @-symbol looks like it was hand drawn by a toddler.
Last edited by Wodan on 23 Feb 2017, 08:15, edited 1 time in total.

GEIST

23 Feb 2017, 07:44

Wodan wrote: LOL-AWAY ...

I'm not in for the Rad-Away caps but they are so off ... you can't be serious.
He can't be serious? To me it looks like Devlin screwed it and UKKeycaps apologies for it and offers a complete refund. What else can he do?
I hope the skidata @ is some kind oft exception.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

23 Feb 2017, 08:21

Didn't realize refunds were offered straight away, guess that's the way to go for the Rad-Away caps...

While the Rad-Away caps _would_ be a clear refund case for me if I had been in for them, the Skidata caps that I am in for are still within what you could expect - just on the disapointing side of the spectrum.

It's a shame this daring adventure turned out like this, maybe the Skidata caps are better than my first impression but with this performance of Devlin I don't think anyone has the nerve to offer another gb with him.

rozakiin

23 Feb 2017, 09:46

Skidata looks like it is just a bad photo, I have the a Q keycap in the orange that is being used and the photo is far too yellow

GEIST

23 Feb 2017, 09:51

rozakiin wrote: Skidata looks like it is just a bad photo, I have the a Q keycap in the orange that is being used and the photo is far too yellow
Good to know, I've ordered some modifiers to go along with this set, from SP and they are way more red. Thank you.

UKKeycaps

23 Feb 2017, 11:18

With all the disappointments with Devlin I am considering cancelling the entire group-buy and offering the sets once they're actually available, with representative images that I have taken myself.

GEIST

23 Feb 2017, 11:31

I guess you're talking about rad-away, cause it seems Skidata would look the same even if Devlin had a year to produce it, since they probably won't buy new molds for the missing key-sizes.

pdc

23 Feb 2017, 14:29

I hope their photo is exaggerating the colour change because it looks quite different. I was going to ask whether if there were another gb in future whether Pantone colour codes can be used to reduce the risk of surprises, then I looked up how much Pantone charge for plastic colour chips and boggled at the cost. :-o

Mr. J

23 Feb 2017, 18:49

I would be disappointed, if I bought it right after seeing the renderings - but I did not. :)

I like the actual look of the skidata set. It looks so much vintage, like old tritium. Too bad, that there is no Norde-set...

UKKeycaps

23 Feb 2017, 23:59

Rad-Away has been cancelled - full refunds will be issued to all customers. An email will be sent around shortly.

lolpes

24 Feb 2017, 00:08

I actually liked the almost jukebox like keyset, minty double shot set for a planck. Let me know if you will have any to sell or if they are all going back ;)

UKKeycaps

24 Feb 2017, 00:14

They'll be available on UKKeycaps!

hansichen

24 Feb 2017, 00:17

They should be available at his website with high quality pictures and a different name. Thanks Joe for solving this issue for us GB-participants in such a good way! I'll probably join again if there is a new try for radaway :)

duynguyenle

24 Feb 2017, 01:13

Shame about the plank set, but from preliminary pictures, the Skidata set looks good, still looking forward to getting my hands on those. For now let's chalk this up to a learning experience for future buys with the same vendor (important point would be to request colour samples before full production perhaps).

Let's hope this hiccup doesn't affect your ability to conduct future groupbuys.

UKKeycaps

24 Feb 2017, 17:58

In real life the failed Rad-Away is an amazing set, the colour is very desirable. Still a huge shame about the error of course but my faith in Devlin's keycap quality has been restored upon seeing the caps. They are very nice indeed.

Without the colour issues in the future I hope to bring a lot more K-series sets to market.

GEIST

24 Feb 2017, 18:15

UKKeycaps wrote: Without the colour issues in the future I hope to bring a lot more K-series sets to market.
That's some good news.

And now I'm pretty curious, it sounds like you've seen the Rad-Away-set in real life, could you post a better picture?

just_add_coffee

01 Mar 2017, 17:12

Has anyone gotten their Rad-Away refund? I haven't, and an email to UKKeycaps regarding another order has gone unanswered (again).

EDIT: I have received the refund for Rad-Away.
Last edited by just_add_coffee on 07 Mar 2017, 16:09, edited 1 time in total.

hansichen

01 Mar 2017, 17:18

A friend of mine and I am still waiting for our refunds too.

Return to “Group buys”