F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards

Harshmallow

04 Jan 2017, 05:54

Hey Ellipse,

When I order my extra full set of 'Brand New, Production XT-quality one-piece caps' in full SSK Industrial Blue livery, do I need to order a set of 6 HHKB keys as well, just to get the split right shift/1u function key?

I'm just trying to get an extra default set with the split right shift and 1u fn key, as I won't be ordering the full HHKB layout to begin with. If I have to order the 6 key set to get the split shift though, I'll do it.

Thanks!

Ellipse

04 Jan 2017, 06:16

Yep Harshmallow you'd need to order them separately. I don't have a listing for just the split right shift key.

ok Elrick, I updated the home page to add:

Case color options: off-white/beige (to match the originals), Industrial Gray (to match the Industrial SSK), black, silver gray, and Pantone True Red powdercoated paint (original cases); hard anodized black, hard anodized regular gray (ultra compact cases)

I am thinking of making a separate landing page with more photos and with a more modern site layout. A marketing professional sent me this link as an example style to consider: https://britishrailmanual.com/

Elrick

04 Jan 2017, 07:11

Ellipse wrote: Case color options: off-white/beige (to match the originals), Industrial Gray (to match the Industrial SSK), black, silver gray, and Pantone True Red powdercoated paint (original cases); hard anodized black, hard anodized regular gray (ultra compact cases)
Okay just for the slow of mind here (me) you will ONLY offer hard anodized colours in Black and Regular Grey?

It's the only covering that will last on any Aluminium case and these colours are avaliable for all the F62 and F77 models, right?

Thinking of buying another F77 in Aluminium, done in Regular Grey.

Ellipse

06 Jan 2017, 00:10

All correct Elrick

ryvnf

06 Jan 2017, 23:38

Elrick wrote: Okay just for the slow of mind here (me) you will ONLY offer hard anodized colours in Black and Regular Grey?

It's the only covering that will last on any Aluminium case and these colours are avaliable for all the F62 and F77 models, right?

Thinking of buying another F77 in Aluminium, done in Regular Grey.
Does powder-coated color last longer on zinc compared to aluminum?

ryvnf

06 Jan 2017, 23:43

I am having a hard time choosing between the original and the compact cases. I want to order an F62. Buying both cases is not an option. I like the look of powder-coated colors best so I might go with an original but it is hard to choose.

The difference in footprint does not seem huge. I know that I won't use the keyboard while traveling (too loud and heavy). At the same time I like things minimalist (as long as it does not affect usability).

Ellipse

06 Jan 2017, 23:58

ryvn I do not offer powdercoating on the compact aluminum cases. I don't think it's too common. The powdercoating is offered on the original style die cast zinc cases only. I recommend going with the original case as it would definitely be a unique addition to anyone's collection. Mid-size cars are more affordable than the molds to make those original die cast zinc cases which is why I wouldn't expect too many other 5+ pound die cast metal case keyboard cases to surface in the future :). There is a nice simplicity of the original case design - check out the YouTube video of the original cases to see what they look like in 4K/UHD. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhMzoGcZ9Wo

Also I was asked to offer a "Model F First Aid" kit which is now up and available to order: https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product ... epair-kit/

Everyone feel free to choose free shipping to add this kit to an existing order. Here's the first draft product description on the web site:

Here is a kit of spare parts for refurbishing your Brand New Model F keyboard years or decades from now, long after production ends sometime this year. Both kits are compatible with either ultra compact or original case F62/F77 keyboards.

Included:

--1 custom machine-cut inner foam, just in case the original foam loses its elasticity while remaining in its compressed state for years on end, you’ll have a spare.
--10 flippers with springs, in case you accidentally bend a spring out of shape when removing a key or cleaning your F62 or F77 or want to mod your layout and split a shift/backspace on your own in the future to get an extra usable key
--10 barrels in case you spill a sugary beverage in your keyboard and the barrels become sticky.
--Extra set of bumpers in case the originals wear out or you want to change bumper types – please add this store item to your cart if you want this: https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/extra-bumpers/
--2 Extra stabilizer inserts – in case some fail or break when trying to remove them from the barrels to change a layout
--An original Industrial SSK (just kidding!)

Vizir

07 Jan 2017, 04:08

Ellipse wrote:
Also I was asked to offer a "Model F First Aid" kit which is now up and available to order: https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product ... epair-kit/

Everyone feel free to choose free shipping to add this kit to an existing order. Here's the first draft product description on the web site:

Here is a kit of spare parts for refurbishing your Brand New Model F keyboard years or decades from now, long after production ends sometime this year. Both kits are compatible with either ultra compact or original case F62/F77 keyboards.

Included:

--1 custom machine-cut inner foam, just in case the original foam loses its elasticity while remaining in its compressed state for years on end, you’ll have a spare.
--10 flippers with springs, in case you accidentally bend a spring out of shape when removing a key or cleaning your F62 or F77 or want to mod your layout and split a shift/backspace on your own in the future to get an extra usable key
--10 barrels in case you spill a sugary beverage in your keyboard and the barrels become sticky.
--Extra set of bumpers in case the originals wear out or you want to change bumper types – please add this store item to your cart if you want this: https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/extra-bumpers/
--2 Extra stabilizer inserts – in case some fail or break when trying to remove them from the barrels to change a layout
--An original Industrial SSK (just kidding!)
Great idea! I ordered spares just for this reason.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

ryvnf

10 Jan 2017, 13:33

Ellipse wrote: --1 custom machine-cut inner foam, just in case the original foam loses its elasticity while remaining in its compressed state for years on end, you’ll have a spare.
What is the foam used for? What happens when it wears out or is removed?

Ellipse

12 Jan 2017, 04:50

The inner foam is used as a contamination shield to prevent dust and stuff from interfering with the capacitive sensing. It also helps secure the barrels in place to prevent wobbly keys.

Ellipse

13 Jan 2017, 01:34

Here are the http://www.modelfkeyboards.com Google Analytics stats since 1/24/16. It's almost unbelievable how many people have checked out the project!
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (32.12 KiB) Viewed 6178 times
The factory is still re-making the springs. The last batch they sent were not to spec. I hope to get the hard anodized compact case samples and springs in the coming weeks (though we are almost near the Chinese New Year holiday which is a few weeks long - all the factory work just about stops).

y11971alex

13 Jan 2017, 02:14

Ellipse wrote: (though we are almost near the Chinese New Year holiday which is a few weeks long - all the factory work just about stops).
They don't just stop. They go home. ;)

Harshmallow

13 Jan 2017, 05:05

y11971alex wrote:
Ellipse wrote: (though we are almost near the Chinese New Year holiday which is a few weeks long - all the factory work just about stops).
They don't just stop. They go home. ;)
I like to think they just stop, tear off their work clothes and pop bottles for a party right there at work. Wait no...that's a bad thought - Stay away from our future keyboards you hooligans!

Ellipse

14 Jan 2017, 21:19

Unfortunately Chinese New Year holiday for the factory will mean they are closed for three weeks starting 1/23 - I do not expect production and assembly to be completed before then. At this point I am expecting deliveries to start in mid-2017.

The sample buckling springs were 0.1 or 0.2mm too wide which was causing them not to have a secure fit to the flippers. They are still working on the next round of samples.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

18 Jan 2017, 00:57

The longer you wait, the more likely I am to place an order. :P

Hypersphere

18 Jan 2017, 01:02

XMIT wrote: The longer you wait, the more likely I am to place an order. :P
Same here! Well, I've already placed an order, but I am considering adding to it if Ellipse can wait until early February before closing the first round.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

18 Jan 2017, 13:26

I resisted so far... I can do it...

Madhias
BS TORPE

18 Jan 2017, 21:13

I ... am ... also resisting. But it gets harder and harder.

Khers

18 Jan 2017, 21:17

Give in, it's comfy

Ellipse

18 Jan 2017, 23:35

We passed $180,000 in orders today! The factory hopes to send the updated spring samples before the Chinese New Year holiday.

matt3o and Madhias what is holding you back? Are you waiting for the early bird keyboards to be delivered and tested before thinking of an order in the final around?

Madhias
BS TORPE

19 Jan 2017, 06:26

For me just the reason not to spend much money on keyboards, nothing about waiting and let's see what is the final product for everyone. The things seen so far are gorgeous! I think I am ordering on 30th of January.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

19 Jan 2017, 08:59

Ellipse wrote: matt3o and Madhias what is holding you back? Are you waiting for the early bird keyboards to be delivered and tested before thinking of an order in the final around?
for me honestly is just waiting til the end of 2017. I'll eventually get one when (if) they will be available or people start selling them in the classified.

darkspider

19 Jan 2017, 12:34

Hi, Ellipse. I was long time absent here, and it seems this project is going step by step.
Then please tell me shipping date currently you assume.

Ellipse

19 Jan 2017, 23:11

Yes darkspider, I expect to start shipping by mid-year. There were some factory delays.

jujubii

20 Jan 2017, 08:59

Ellipse wrote: Yes darkspider, I expect to start shipping by mid-year. There were some factory delays.
Will the orders be shipped in the order to which they were placed? 1month+4days from now marks my 1year anniversary for the early bird

darkspider

21 Jan 2017, 03:46

jujubii wrote:
Ellipse wrote: Yes darkspider, I expect to start shipping by mid-year. There were some factory delays.
Will the orders be shipped in the order to which they were placed? 1month+4days from now marks my 1year anniversary for the early bird
In my memory, If you put some donation(I remember it was called "Early bird tooling volunteer"), you will get items some weeks earlier than the others.

Ellipse

21 Jan 2017, 06:04

Yes jujubii and dark spider you are both right. You can also jump ahead in line by upgrading to a low serial number which helps support the project a little extra - otherwise I'll be assigning serial numbers and shipping things out based on when the order was sent in.

jujubii

23 Jan 2017, 04:50

Ellipse wrote: Yes jujubii and dark spider you are both right. You can also jump ahead in line by upgrading to a low serial number which helps support the project a little extra - otherwise I'll be assigning serial numbers and shipping things out based on when the order was sent in.
thank you sirs

patiently waiting, looking forward :)

Ellipse

27 Jan 2017, 02:18

The new batch of springs arrived this week from the factory, but they are 0.3mm too small and have been rejected. I hope to get more samples when everyone returns from the Chinese New Year holiday in a couple weeks.

tiimoto

27 Jan 2017, 11:22

Hey Ellipse,
Will there be a support period for these boards? E.g. when a board arrives with a defect?

Return to “Group buys”