Newbie Cherry MX question: sticky spacebar

Yuubin

14 Jan 2017, 19:51

Hi all,

I apologize in advance for possibly asking things that should be obvious.

On my daily driver, a Ducky One with MX brown switches, I have issues with a sticky space bar. About 4 out of 10 key presses the spacebar will get stuck after releasing it.

I first thought this was an issue of the aftermarket spacebar I am using but it also happens with the original Ducky spacebar.

The switch itself seems to be fine. If I install a 1u keycap it works and feels just like all the other switches on the board.

At this point I think that I may have caused the issue myself by applying very little synthetic grease to the visible wire part of the stabilizers. :( The stabilizer still moves pretty easily but I think that the added resistance may be too much for the spring in the switch?

As a workaround I added the spring from my Novatouch spacebar between the MX switch and the spacebar. The spacebar now requires a very firm press but at least it comes back up every time. :lol:

Of course, I would like to find a better permanent solution. Unfortunately, the Ducky One has plate-mounted switches so accessing the stabilizer or changing the switch is not that easy (for a newbie like me at least).

Any advice is really appreciated.

Yuubin

Yuubin

02 Feb 2017, 12:56

In case someone with similar issues stumbles over this lonely thread... ;)

It turned out that the switch itself was defective/sticky. After swapping it for a new MX black the space bar works as it's supposed to.

qbadger

05 Feb 2017, 13:10

Did you open the switch up after swapping it out? The slider must be catching on something...

Yuubin

06 Feb 2017, 00:23

I was planning to take a closer look but completely forgot about it.
Will do it next week. It would be nice to actually get it working again.

Return to “Keyboards”