Do Lexmark IBM and Unicomp Model Ms share the same PS/2 cable?

keycap

14 Nov 2016, 16:15

I bought a '93 Lexmark Model M last week and it came with a slightly damaged (undetachable) PS/2 cable. It's really weak and it's frayed in many places, despite working fine. It appears that my 122-key Unicomp from 2001 uses the same exact controller socket connector for the PS/2 cable, and I would like to use it in the Lexmark Model M, but the wire colors aren't the exact same between the two cables. I do know that the wire color doesn't indicate much at all, but I just want to make sure that it will work before I do something extremely stupid. This is my only "real" Model M that isn't from Unicomp and I really don't want to damage it, it's going to be my main keyboard for now on.

UPDATE: I went ahead and tried it anyways and it works fine.
Last edited by keycap on 14 Nov 2016, 21:26, edited 1 time in total.

y11971alex

14 Nov 2016, 16:39

I think by definition all PS/2 cables, for keyboards at least, are alike in wire properties.

fohat
Elder Messenger

14 Nov 2016, 17:09

If you have a multimeter you can test the pins on the plug vs the wiring at the controller for each of the cables.

A $1 junk keyboard from a thrift store can be a viable cable donor. A cheap easy continuity tester can be made with a flashlight bulb, a battery, and some wire, if you don't have a multimeter.

Unicomp can be helpful if you can get a live person on the phone. Tell them what you have and what you want and they will probably give you the right answer.

stan

24 Jan 2017, 03:01

I have the same frayed Lexmark IBM ps/2 cable after nearly 10 years of usage. It's not the SDL type but the fixed one. I tried clickkeyboards for a replacement but they only have SDL cables.

I finally bit the bullet and replaced the frayed ps/2 cable with a new ps/2 cable and some modding. Let me know if you need the instructions. I've got them documented in pictures... down... somewhere.

Return to “Keyboards”