Focus FP-21 programmable macropad review (USw LABI01)

Chyros

18 Feb 2017, 15:47

This week we're having a look at a mechanical, programmable macropad by Focus. Another one of their cool, funky ideas!

Daniel Beardsmore

18 Feb 2017, 17:51

I assume you've had the switches apart for inspection — what's the other type they've used?

USw LABI01 is curious in that it shares the same mould numbering principle as Himake switches, yet uses different metal parts. One possibility is that they switched to a different (cheaper?) supplier of metal parts, but then there's the idea of shared/communal tooling to consider. Seeing it used side by side with another type is interesting as it may suggest a relationship between the two.

Tuntematon

19 Feb 2017, 02:22

It was you! Just checked the listing. I offered $50, the seller later accepted your offer of $49.50. Interesting. Glad it went to a good home!

Menuhin

19 Feb 2017, 12:16

Chyros, congrats for your successful defense!

Chinese from Taiwan are not short of funky ideas - connecting the main keyboard through a Numpad like Macropad. xD Perhaps we can count the number of funky ideas of vintage computer input equipments, and try to tell who have more funky ideas - the Asians e.g. CJK or the Europeans, or the North Americans.
I also want to get my hands on a programmable Alps Numpad some day, perhaps should go the Alps64 PCB design path though.

Daniel Beardsmore

19 Feb 2017, 14:42

It's basically a copy of the [wiki]Cherry G80-3700[/wiki] programmable numeric keypad designed for macros only (G80-3700 can function either as a numeric keypad or as a macro pad) and with a dedicated programming key (the G80-3700 uses the Num Lock key instead).

belowgeek

01 Mar 2017, 16:10

That looks like a part of an old IBM keyboard.xD I actually like it. It's simple but the fact that it can be programmed to basically whatever function you want is what sold me.:)

Daniel Beardsmore

01 Mar 2017, 18:47

Curious — no word on the switches. I'm suspecting now that they were never actually examined internally.

Return to “Reviews”