IBM Keyboards in a barn

taylorswiftttttt

26 Feb 2017, 07:03

It all started with this blurry picture, the 11th and last image in a craigslist ad for "old computer parts". I almost passed it by, but then I remembered that a long time ago I had seen a Dell-labeled M on clickykeyboards' website. Upon further inspection, there were 4 or 5 dell AT101s. I was hooked.

It was an hour drive there, and to be honest I wasn't expecting very much. I wasn't sure the 2 hours of driving was worth it for some trashed AT101s. I was wrong.

When I walked into the barn, the first thing that greeted me was a filthy silver-label model M. he had 3 boxes of keyboard downstairs. 2 full of boring rubberdomes, 1 full of AT101s (including some of the old-logo ones) and 2 silver label Ms. One was filthy and missing a few keys, the other was extremely clean, complete, and even had its original dust cover on the cable. As an added bonus, there was a Dell-branded IBM model M (identical to a 1391401, only with a Dell logo).

At this point the drive was definitely worth it. But then he said "do you want to see the ones upstairs?"

"You have more upstairs? how many?"

"100 or so..."

He wasn't wrong.

(sorry for the blurry images, I was in shock)

My dad and I sorted through the keyboards. Spread out through the boxes, there were 7 oval label 101 key model Ms, 5 model F122s, one Model F from a 3178 Display Station, 3 or 4 of the oval-label M122s, and 50 or so silver-label M122s. We didn't have space for all of them, so we ended up taking home the three best F122s, the 3178, the 2 silver label Ms, the dell-labeled M, and a regular M.

Of the ones we took home, here's the filthy silver-label:

2 of the Model Fs (the display station came with the original manual tucked in the back)

The clean silver-label and the Dell branded one (plus an M122 I got somewhere else)

One of them was covered in anthrax or something

Here's a link to the imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/PrIwR

I'm not going to say the price I paid, but it was a good deal. He definitely knew what they were worth, but he doesn't have time to clean and sell 100 old keyboards. Please don't spam me with offers until I have a chance to clean them and take better pictures.

I'm definitely going to go back once I get more cash to pick up the rest of the keyboards. He said he would give me a bulk discount if I bought all of them. Apparently he bought a 40 foot storage container full of old computer junk, and now his barned is FILLED with old computer stuff. I really want to look around more (unfortunately I had limited time there).

Sorry for the terrible pictures. I'll take better ones later.
Last edited by taylorswiftttttt on 12 May 2017, 18:09, edited 5 times in total.

emdude
Model M Apologist

26 Feb 2017, 07:15

An excellent find! :)

It looks like the fellow you bought the IBMs from has other keyboards that might be worth taking a look at! The old-logo Dell AT101s are definitely worth picking up as well as they can often have Salmon Alps and PBT dyesubbed keycaps (the ones in the photo look like they do). They're highly sought after because of that.

Touch_It

26 Feb 2017, 07:21

Nice find. Nothing quite holy grail (yet).but stumbling upon this from a craigslist add......what an awesome thing. Something most of us could only dream of happening. Looking forward to hearing more on this find. From your pics, the board with the blue flip switch is model F. Hopefully there are more to come :).

tl:dr

Grats, I'm a bit jealous and excited to see pics.

Mattr567

26 Feb 2017, 07:50

Great finds! For sure take all Model F's, and Dell AT101's!!!! (old logo especially). And if you find anything like a Zenith for example take it too. Who knows what kind of treasure (hopefully Alps) is there. Some 122 key Model M's for example may not be worth taking though. The 101 PS/2's are worth it :lol:
emdude wrote: An excellent find! :)

It looks like the fellow you bought the IBMs from has other keyboards that might be worth taking a look at! The old-logo Dell AT101s are definitely worth picking up as well as they can often have Salmon Alps and PBT dyesubbed keycaps (the ones in the photo look like they do). They're highly sought after because of that.
Yes some of those are, if you zoom in you can see the nubs on the F/J keys indicating Alps PBT.
Last edited by Mattr567 on 26 Feb 2017, 07:57, edited 1 time in total.

taylorswiftttttt

26 Feb 2017, 07:57

removed
Last edited by taylorswiftttttt on 25 May 2022, 11:02, edited 2 times in total.

Mattr567

26 Feb 2017, 07:59

taylorswiftttttt wrote: Turns out I got one of the first Model Ms ever made, and it's in very good condition.
Mattr567 wrote: Great finds! For sure take all Model F's, and Dell AT101's!!!! (old logo especially) If you find anything like a Zenith for example take it too. Some 122 key Model M's for example may not be worth taking though.
I would've taken the AT101s and the 2 other model Fs, but I literally ran out of cash to pay him with (I didn't bring very much). Definitely going back soon.
Good. They all are worth saving (well expect maybe the 122 M's :twisted:)

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

26 Feb 2017, 09:30

Nice IBM M and F find indeed, congrats. A find like that here in Germany would primarily consist of Cherry keyboards.

alh84001
v.001

26 Feb 2017, 09:41

What a great find. Congrats!

Chyros

26 Feb 2017, 12:44

WHAAAAAAAAAAAA

Also, you left some behind?! You should've made multiple trips!! xD

fohat
Elder Messenger

26 Feb 2017, 16:17

Chyros wrote:
Also, you left some behind?! You should've made multiple trips!
He said that the seller knew what they were worth, and that he had run out of money.

My guess is that it would take ~$1K to snag the lot.

E3E

26 Feb 2017, 17:29

fohat wrote:
Chyros wrote:
Also, you left some behind?! You should've made multiple trips!
He said that the seller knew what they were worth, and that he had run out of money.

My guess is that it would take ~$1K to snag the lot.
If they're 100 keyboards, then I doubt that. I bet it's something a lot lower like $300-400 or something. You know these craigslist guys are crazy.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

26 Feb 2017, 18:00

That's great! I'd love a Dell logo Model M. They come up infrequently. Dell is based here in the Austin area so it would be a special board.

DeChief

27 Feb 2017, 03:38

Please tell me you picked up one of those IBM PS/2 era monitors in the background, I would KILL for a reasonable price on one...

taylorswiftttttt

27 Feb 2017, 06:00

removed
Last edited by taylorswiftttttt on 25 May 2022, 11:01, edited 1 time in total.

DeChief

28 Feb 2017, 07:25

taylorswiftttttt wrote:
DeChief wrote: Please tell me you picked up one of those IBM PS/2 era monitors in the background, I would KILL for a reasonable price on one...
PM me details and I'll take a look when I go back.
I live in Sydney, Australia. You sure you could post a whole monitor to me for less than a trillion dollars? ;P

lancre

28 Feb 2017, 10:26

Flood the market! Cheap model M's for us yay!

Unbelievable find. I get the impression this is very much a US thing, a product of a huge tech industry in the '80's when the UK was lagging behind.

taylorswiftttttt

01 Mar 2017, 04:43

removed
Last edited by taylorswiftttttt on 25 May 2022, 11:01, edited 1 time in total.

Ratfink

01 Mar 2017, 05:01

DeChief wrote:
taylorswiftttttt wrote:
DeChief wrote: Please tell me you picked up one of those IBM PS/2 era monitors in the background, I would KILL for a reasonable price on one...
PM me details and I'll take a look when I go back.
I live in Sydney, Australia. You sure you could post a whole monitor to me for less than a trillion dollars? ;P
Really? Your profile says Tokyo. :o

Mr.Nobody

03 Mar 2017, 08:53

Great find, it seems the dell M catches a lot of attention according to the replies, I always thought dell-logoed Ms are less sought-after than regular Ms...How to convert the 3178 blue switch F ? xwhatsit?

PollandAkuma

05 Mar 2017, 21:22

Lucky!!

DeChief

07 Mar 2017, 11:27

Ratfink wrote: Really? Your profile says Tokyo. :o
Yeah, I just moved to Sydney, thanks for reminding me to update my profile.

Return to “Gallery”