Keycaps Frame for Collector

muni

14 Mar 2017, 06:24

Please Vote!!!
https://www.massdrop.com/vote/Keycaps-F ... -Collector
Email: muni_chang@outlook.com
Many keycap fans have lots of keycap sets for collection, they need keyboards to carry them if they want to show off, but it’s not practical, because we can’t put 3 keyboards on our table all the time, so I designed keycap frame... If people interest in them, I hope we can start a drop on massdrop!
Now we have:
TWO different size frame for Num set and TKL87 set, maybe have 60% or Ergodox size if necessary.
TWO different wood colours dark and light
TWO different backgrand fabrics colours black and white.
Protype samples in photos

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

14 Mar 2017, 08:29

I like the idea of the frame but for many of my keyboards the frame would have to be quite a bit larger which then becomes unpractical.

muni

14 Mar 2017, 08:42

seebart wrote: I like the idea of the frame but for many of my keyboards the frame would have to be quite a bit larger which then becomes unpractical.
My frame is designed for put on the wall, only small one like NUMs put on tables

Wodan
ISO Advocate

14 Mar 2017, 12:31

Maybe find some UV-proof glass to protect your keycaps from yellowing :)

just_add_coffee

14 Mar 2017, 16:26

I like this idea, but the implementation seems somewhat rigid. For instance, it doesn't look like I could put the numpad, novelties, or ISO kit in the same frame. And that means keeping track of the base set on the wall, along with bags of the extras in a drawer somewhere.

If you're concerned about weight, there are tons of framing options out there from which to choose.

Also, distressed wood doesn't seem like the ideal look for most sets that I can think of.

But whatever you do, please don't give up on the idea!

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

14 Mar 2017, 16:33

Do you have a frame for something like this?
1.jpg
1.jpg (174.84 KiB) Viewed 5201 times
keyboards-f2/g80-0081-revealed-t11915-30.html

Orpheo

14 Mar 2017, 19:56

I am sure we can think about a modular backframe which may receive the layout needed for everyone.

Excelso

14 Mar 2017, 23:27

Maybe a rectangular 10x15 perforated grid with holes where you can screw somo MX-stem compatible "pins" in the configuration you want. That would be compatible with almost any configuration I can think right know. Even the more complex ones.

muni

15 Mar 2017, 05:04

just_add_coffee wrote: I like this idea, but the implementation seems somewhat rigid. For instance, it doesn't look like I could put the numpad, novelties, or ISO kit in the same frame. And that means keeping track of the base set on the wall, along with bags of the extras in a drawer somewhere.

If you're concerned about weight, there are tons of framing options out there from which to choose.

Also, distressed wood doesn't seem like the ideal look for most sets that I can think of.

But whatever you do, please don't give up on the idea!
I making the Frame 2.0 now, then you can put any keycaps on anywhere of the backgrand, you will like it

muni

15 Mar 2017, 05:06

seebart wrote: Do you have a frame for something like this?
1.jpg
keyboards-f2/g80-0081-revealed-t11915-30.html
Keycaps Frame 2.0 is on the way, I hope you will like it

muni

16 Mar 2017, 07:17

hope everyone vote it, thx so much

Menuhin

16 Mar 2017, 14:19

Wodan wrote: Maybe find some UV-proof glass to protect your keycaps from yellowing :)
A plausible and quite on point design feature for the ABS caps - that shine and yellow.
It's quite easy to implement indeed.

just_add_coffee

16 Mar 2017, 15:02

seebart wrote: Do you have a frame for something like this?
But why would you ever take the keys off of that???

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

16 Mar 2017, 19:16

Sometimes the simplest of ideas can be the greatest. This is a cool product considering the number of keyboard enthusiasts out there. I was going through my collection of boxed keyboards the other day wondering how I might better enjoy them and I think I have an idea now

muni

20 Mar 2017, 05:53

rsbseb wrote: Sometimes the simplest of ideas can be the greatest. This is a cool product considering the number of keyboard enthusiasts out there. I was going through my collection of boxed keyboards the other day wondering how I might better enjoy them and I think I have an idea now
:D

paecific.jr

23 Mar 2017, 18:22

Sometimes I think that our community has gone too far... Then I see something like this and realize that we are still somewhat stable. I mean how else would I decorate my house, office, car,...

Laser
emacs -nw

23 Mar 2017, 18:39

This gives me an idea ... after admiring keycaps in a frame, surely the next logical step ... how about a public exhibition, with keycaps in frames like that, but also mounted on their switches, so they can still be pressed. And people visiting would have to pay a certain sum to push a keycap, and feel the switch ...

... MX Brown with ABS cap OEM profile, 1€ !

... MX Clear with Cherry profile keycap, 10€ !!

... Blue Alps with spherical profile keycap, 30€ !!!

... Beamspring, 100€ !!!!

:mrgreen: :lol:

muni

24 Mar 2017, 06:48

Laser wrote: This gives me an idea ... after admiring keycaps in a frame, surely the next logical step ... how about a public exhibition, with keycaps in frames like that, but also mounted on their switches, so they can still be pressed. And people visiting would have to pay a certain sum to push a keycap, and feel the switch ...

... MX Brown with ABS cap OEM profile, 1€ !

... MX Clear with Cherry profile keycap, 10€ !!

... Blue Alps with spherical profile keycap, 30€ !!!

... Beamspring, 100€ !!!!

:mrgreen: :lol:
One day, the Keycaps museum will open...

muni

18 Apr 2017, 11:37

The keycaps frame drop will start tomorrow on massdrop, do not miss it!

Scarpia

18 Apr 2017, 17:30

Love this idea -- even though I collect mainly Alps boards, I can see myself buying a great looking Cherry keyset just so I could decorate my wall like that! Can't wait to see the pricing.

Return to “Keyboards”