[IC] UK78 - 60%+Numpad Keyboard - A British Custom

rozakiin

21 Apr 2017, 22:03

UK78

Inspired by the XT and 1800 layouts the UK78 is a 60%+Numpad fully programmable keyboard.
UK78 soon cover.jpg
UK78 soon cover.jpg (1.05 MiB) Viewed 7173 times
Current rough price estimate: $350 (for PCB, case and full aluminium base)
Link to Geekhack Discussion

The UK78 currently features:
  • ISO AND ANSI Supported Supported Layouts
  • MX and Alps Compatible!
  • Custom PCB that can be cut to a 65%, restistors, diodes and MCU presoldered as standard with limited DIY bare PCBs available by request
  • Underglow lighting and switch LED lighting
  • A single piece aluminium case with acrylic 'vanity' base to view the pcb
  • 5 degree incline achieved by custom CNC'd aluminium feet or a full width aluminium base
  • Stainless Steel plate in various MX and Alps layouts with the option for specific layouts or materials to be requested (anyone fancy brass?)

To Do List:
  • Manufacture prototype case (in production)
  • Test prototype PCBs(ordered)
  • Recieve the final quotes from all the manufacturers before Group Buy

Available anodising colours from the manufacturer (other colours may be available):
uk78 CHERRRY ISO icon.186.jpg
uk78 CHERRRY ISO icon.186.jpg (3.82 MiB) Viewed 7173 times
Click here and here for albums of the first prototype.

Renders:
Standard Case Design
Standard Case Design
uk78 CHERRRY ISO.177 VINGETTE.jpg (182.57 KiB) Viewed 7173 times
Alternate case design
Alternate case design
untitled.188.jpg (1.19 MiB) Viewed 7173 times
untitled.195.jpg
untitled.195.jpg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 7173 times
new feet design.192.jpg
new feet design.192.jpg (1.17 MiB) Viewed 7173 times
untitled.199.jpg
untitled.199.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 7173 times
untitled.204.jpg
untitled.204.jpg (769.83 KiB) Viewed 7173 times
If you have any suggestions for improvements or to show interest feel free to comment bellow!
Last edited by rozakiin on 24 Apr 2017, 19:31, edited 1 time in total.

kekstee

22 Apr 2017, 11:29

Can you provide us with some more details on the PCB Alps/Cherry and layout support? Especially the bottom row.
I have to admit I'm not really looking for another case in that price range right now, but still, there aren't many boards in that form factor out there.

rozakiin

22 Apr 2017, 12:59

kekstee wrote: Can you provide us with some more details on the PCB Alps/Cherry and layout support? Especially the bottom row.
I have to admit I'm not really looking for another case in that price range right now, but still, there aren't many boards in that form factor out there.

There is a link to the supported layouts under the current features.

Sankart

22 Apr 2017, 19:51

I'd be so down for this, if the numpad was on the left side. I'm interested in the current state though. If I get one depends on if I got the money when the drop happens.
The angle of the acrylic bottom look pretty steep to me though, personally I prefer a flat angle. The ZZ96 of a friend was too steep for me for example.
I like both designs, I'm okay with either.

rozakiin

22 Apr 2017, 21:28

Sankart wrote: I'd be so down for this, if the numpad was on the left side. I'm interested in the current state though. If I get one depends on if I got the money when the drop happens.
The angle of the acrylic bottom look pretty steep to me though, personally I prefer a flat angle. The ZZ96 of a friend was too steep for me for example.
I like both designs, I'm okay with either.
I will likely change the angle to 5 degrees as that is what I have on the prototype which is very comfortable.

Sankart

22 Apr 2017, 21:46

That'd be really cool. I guess there's no way to get a version with the numpad on the left going? It's too much of a strain on the MoQ, but it doesn't hurt to ask. I'd be comfortable with paying a premium, but it's probably still out of reach :(

rozakiin

22 Apr 2017, 21:59

Sankart wrote: That'd be really cool. I guess there's no way to get a version with the numpad on the left going? It's too much of a strain on the MoQ, but it doesn't hurt to ask. I'd be comfortable with paying a premium, but it's probably still out of reach :(
I would be able to design a PCB that would be left hand however It would cost a fair amount and would be hand solder only.

Sankart

22 Apr 2017, 22:34

That's really nice from you, but I'm no good at soldering SMD-components. DIP is no problem, but I doubt that'd be enough. Maybe there are other people like me who'd prefer a left handed version, so it'd make my suggestion easier to realise, but at the same time I don't want to alienate your project from what you've envisioned.

rozakiin

22 Apr 2017, 22:43

One option for you would be to handwire with a layout specific plate. A user on GH was planning on an ortholinear layout using this case and handwiring.

Sankart

22 Apr 2017, 22:54

I'd be down for that, but I don't think I'm smart enough to design the plate, as the plate would need to be mounted sandwich style (I think?) and I never looked into that.

rozakiin

22 Apr 2017, 22:56

I can design the plate if you gave me the Keyboard Layout Editor link. Message me when the GB drops if you are interested in that. :)

Sankart

22 Apr 2017, 22:58

That'd be really nice from you. Looking forward to this drop and I'm pretty sure I'll take your offer.
Thanks and have a nice "evening" :)

kojiro sasaki

23 Apr 2017, 09:44

Interested!

rozakiin

25 Apr 2017, 15:28

Update: 1

I am currently in contact with the manufacturer to ensure that the case can be made as inexpensive as possible without sacrificing quality or design.
Currently the costs for a set of small feet are ~$90 and the larger base is ~$160 making the overall cost of a UK78 ~$300 and ~$350.

There could also be the option of Acrylic small feet for the same cost as the Aluminium ones.
Thoughts?
untitled.207.jpg
untitled.207.jpg (337.38 KiB) Viewed 6836 times

Stabilized

25 Apr 2017, 15:51

Why is it a "british custom" but the pricing is in US dollars? Also, will these be shipping from the UK?

rozakiin

25 Apr 2017, 16:06

Stabilized wrote: Why is it a "british custom" but the pricing is in US dollars? Also, will these be shipping from the UK?
Dollars are easier for everyone to use, the UK78 is designed and shipped from the UK, as much of the keyboard as fiscally possible is manufactured in the UK also.

Sankart

26 Apr 2017, 17:01

I really like the render, but I doubt it'll look as good in reality. To be quite honest, I dislike the whole metal+acrylic thing as it always looks cheap to me. I'd even go as far as to recommend to mount the acrylic bottom inside the aluminium frame. The Redscarfs design I once assembled suffered a lot by that cheap, flimsy acrylic bottom contrasting the massive aluminium housing. Maybe a frosted finish would've made it look nicer, I don't know, but the clear acrylic really didn't look good from the front.
Personally I don't mind though, as I'll go for the aluminium version anyway.

(on a sidenote, I really like acrylic housings, just not mixed with aluminium, or any other metal.)

Stabilized

26 Apr 2017, 18:21

I agree regarding the acrylic and metal housing, I would prefer it if it was a layer or fins sandwiched in metal layers: like with the KBD75 or the TriC cases.

rozakiin

26 Apr 2017, 18:33

You will be able to achieve that effect with the full aluminium base by putting the acrylic layer between.

Sankart

26 Apr 2017, 18:47

That's actually a really nice idea, but I didn't mean it that way.
The way it looks on your renders, it looks like the acrylic plate is shorter than the frame? Then this might not even be an issue.
What I'm talking about is this acrylic "lip" that's visible when you set the keyboard on the desk with the acrylic bottom (just like with the Redscarf II+ here https://www.massdrop.com/buy/red-scarf- ... yboard-kit ).
Personally I think that looks really bad. It's acceptable in the pictures provided by MD, but in reality it just looks cheap.
On the other hand, if you were to change it, I don't think your idea of using the acrylic bottom as a led-window with the aluminium bottom would be possible.
As I said, I don't care too much, I'm gonna take the aluminium bottom anyway, just some food for thought.

rozakiin

26 Apr 2017, 18:54

Ah ok, no the acrylic shouldn't be visible while the on the desk as it is indented into the case by 2mm.

rozakiin

13 May 2017, 14:38

Update:
  • Sample Case has been ordered and will arrive in a week.
  • Revised PCB sample has also been ordered.
  • The manufacturer is able to try and colour match to any Pantone or RAL, plan is to have each case colour match a GMK Colour!
  • LeandreN has given to OK for the Fjell inspired case design to be produced so everyone can have the choice of Fjell style or 1800 Style.
  • Group Buy planned to start in just over a month.

rozakiin

18 Jun 2017, 20:31

zooksman

18 Jun 2017, 23:48

Holy shit this would be amazing with a set of amber alps. 60% and numpad is a much more intelligent space saving layout than most.

rozakiin

19 Jun 2017, 18:11

zooksman wrote: Holy shit this would be amazing with a set of amber alps. 60% and numpad is a much more intelligent space saving layout than most.
That would be an amazing build, I love amber alps!

Return to “Group buys”