Building a Q-Series 60% with a twist

pdc

24 Jan 2017, 21:29

I have a set of Q-Series caps on order from Mechsupply, so I better come up with a keyboard to put under them. So I am working on my first hand-build keyboard, which I will call X1 until I think of a better name. I have put some posts about the process so far on my blog:
Current status:

It seems a shame to waste the ISO Return key, so I have been trying to come up with a Mac-friendly ISO format with arrow keys that will fit a 60% case. Here’s what I have come up with so far:
60-percent-split-spacebar.png
60-percent-split-spacebar.png (28.71 KiB) Viewed 4548 times
The split space bar is oddly labelled ENTER/SHIFT because it is made from the available key caps of size 2.25u and 2.75u: the ANSI Enter key and the right shift key. As it happens, these are the keys that Devlin can’t manage in Q-Series so will be in the slightly sloped QS series. Which might work out nicely.

I can’t quite manage to create a T-shaped cursor block without removing the right shift key altogether so I have compromised with an upside-down L. The gaps between the arrow keys are supposed to help with navigation.

Next step is I need to work out how to make the plate. My local Hackspace can laser-cut wood and acrylic but I don’t know whether they are strong enough to use for this sort of thing. Failing that I have to find out good options for getting a custom plate cut in the UK. And be really sure I know what layout I want!
Last edited by pdc on 15 Feb 2017, 10:39, edited 3 times in total.

Findecanor

25 Jan 2017, 01:20

Most 60% cases are made for Poker, which has PCB-mounted switches and the cases therefore have specific standoffs to that PCB.

For the plate, 1.5mm acrylic could work if you have a PCB and if you are careful. Otherwise you could use 3mm+ acrylic and force-fit/glue switches, or two layers of 1.5 mm acrylic glued together with the switches snapping only to the upper layer and the lower layer having notches for the snaps to work.
If the latter, then you would want to use opaque acrylic (or choose to paint) and not remove all protective film until after they have been glued. I would also sand the pieces and use epoxy, making sure to wash away excess that would get into the mounting holes. Superglue fumes make clear plastic foggy and does not allow for any error in alignment.

pdc

25 Jan 2017, 15:37

Thanks for the info :-) Creating a 3mm plate by gluing 2 layers together sounds doable. I will think about how I can prototype this at small scale first.

Sounds like by the time I have worked out how to cut a plate, i might as well be building my own sandwich case because it will have more margin for error than trying to match an off-the-shelf Poker-style case. In which case I have some scope for rethinking the layout

GEIST

25 Jan 2017, 17:55

The holes in the bottom row don't quite convince me.

pdc

27 Jan 2017, 09:22

Not completely sure about the gaps in the bottom row either. The obvious alternative is a ½-unit gap and a contiguous L-shaped navigation. My thinking was that the little gap would make fumbling for the L-shaped cursor keys by touch less random—but until I have something to play with I don't know whether I'll like it or hate it! Maybe I can try some kind of throwaway prototypes in plywood or something to see how they feel in practice.

Funny thing about the layout is that I started with something more different from standard and as I fiddle with it and think about the details it has changed little by little to be more like the standard Apple-flavoured ISO-like layout. Much like last time I tried designing a crazy new 65% layout and after a few iterations I discovered I had reinvented the True Fox. :-)

pdc

03 Feb 2017, 09:40

Current status: Visited Oxford hackspace to look in to using their CNC mill and laser cutter to mangle bits of acrylic (or similar—I wonder if a wooden case is plausible) in to the weird shapes I want for this project. They also have an electronics workroom with solder station which is obviously also applicable to my master plan.

pdc

01 Mar 2017, 17:46

This week I have mostly been drawing holes. Here's the SVG version of the top plate:

Apologies for not leaving gaps for opening the switches; for this build at least is is simpler to use standard square holes. I have intentionally bought Costar stabilisers for the same reason!

Here is what I think the supporting plate underneath needs to look like.

The extra cutouts are intended to allow the switches to clip on.

You will have noticed the screw holes are too near the keys—if they have standard 1.7mm tall heads on they will interfere with the corners of the caps as they descend. I need to increase the padding around the layout to allow for this.

I've assumed the location of the stabilizers for the Enter key means the switch goes in sideways.

duynguyenle

04 Mar 2017, 03:21

Why would you add those extra cutouts? Those will explicitly STOP the switches from clipping in... You need a straight edge where the clips are. Your first plate would've worked fine the way it is...

Edit: whoop posted without reading properly *facepalm*, you're doing two layers

pdc

04 Mar 2017, 17:21

I know what you mean though -- the "under" plate looks like the exact opposite of what it should look like...

pdc

12 Mar 2017, 11:18

Today’s lesson is about tolerance. Specifically, that the tolerances on sheet acrylic are less stringent than the tolerances on Cherry MX switch and Co-Star stabiliser clips.

I have cut a test piece with the assist of Jared at Oxford Hackspace:
I made a thing!
I made a thing!
IMG_1310.jpg (1.09 MiB) Viewed 4229 times
The idea here was to make lots of different-sized holes and choose the ones that fit best:
Trying out with some switches
Trying out with some switches
IMG_0130.jpg (385.06 KiB) Viewed 4229 times
Turns out I can jam the switch in and have it held by friction but it does not click in to place and the stabiliser holder is slightly twisted, making the stabilised key bind most of the time. The plate is just a smidgen thicker than the 1.5mm. I think the difference in thickness is tiny—less than a quarter of a millimetre by eye—but it makes enough of a difference.

I think the obvious things to consider next are (a) find out whether it will be possible to machine down parts of the plate to closer to the exact thickness, pretty much following the pattern of my ‘under plate’, or (b) revert to a thicker single piece and just jam the switches in and glue them in place. With option (b) I am not sure how I would get the stabiliser clips to sit nicely though.

pdc

17 Mar 2017, 22:21

Here is an approach to thick acrylic backplates that turned up on Reddit using the laser cutter to engrave the shapes rather than a router to rout them.

GEIST

28 Mar 2017, 10:53

Is this keyboard still a thing for you, so do you plan on buying the set? It would be a shame to let this custom project die if not.

pdc

31 Mar 2017, 19:51

The group buy was cancelled but I'm still planning on buying the SKIDATA set once it is on sale. I reckon an experimental first keyboard is best made with an experimental first keyset. :-)

After measuring he test piece every way I could think of and adjusting the kerf parameters accordingly I have cut the top and under plate cut. A little delicate filing is still required, as it turns out I needed to allow a little more space in the under plate for the clips of the stabilisers. Apart from that the next step is (re)learning to solder so I can start on the wiring …

pdc

01 Apr 2017, 23:52

Looks much more real with the top 2 layers bolted together and the switches inserted!
Looks a bit insane but it is a start
Looks a bit insane but it is a start
IMG_1341.jpg (1.63 MiB) Viewed 4097 times
Started soldering the diodes to the switches—first time with a soldering iron since I was a child—but the ease with which I am popping switches out makes me think I need to consider gluing them in after all.

pdc

23 Apr 2017, 09:57

After several sessions in the Hackspace tronics room I have soldered on the diodes, row and column rails.
Lots of wires
Lots of wires
P1030232.jpg (2.27 MiB) Viewed 4045 times
There is still the small matter of wiring these to the micro controller and programming it. Also the case needs some sides and a bottom—for which I need to work out how to have the right-sized niches in the case sides to support the controller board and USB plug.

pdc

28 Apr 2017, 23:48

The keycaps from Devlin via UKKeycaps arrived this week.
Caps off
Caps off
P1030237.jpg (1.96 MiB) Viewed 4003 times
After much fiddling with fiddly stabilisers I have populated my key switches and can pretend to type on my poor brainless keyboard.
Caps on
Caps on
IMG_1466.jpg (1.2 MiB) Viewed 4003 times
Next task: make it a brain.

pdc

21 May 2017, 20:48

With wires
With wires
IMG_1501.JPG (751.39 KiB) Viewed 3933 times
After procrastinating for a while I have soldered wires on to my Teensy LC board which I plan to solder to the rest of the keyboard next.

The combination of controller and wires is not as flat as I would like and so far it does not look like it will fit in the height of the case I had planned. Luckily I have not built that case yet so there will be time to change this if necessary, though I would like to keep the profile as low as possible.

Return to “Workshop”