SCM for Ergodox

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

16 Apr 2017, 04:46

A couple of days ago I was contacted by e_l_tang regarding SCM, looking to get some information about the development schedule and whether or not there would be an ErgoDox option. After corresponding back and forth and getting up to speed on the need for a couple of ErgoDox specific keys I am happy to announce that initial SCM development will commence with an ErgoDox set. I feel this will provide for a manageable development track to the full SCM line up.
Attachments
Ergodox SCM Render.png
Ergodox SCM Render.png (260.66 KiB) Viewed 2519 times
Ergodox SCM Render Thumb.png
Ergodox SCM Render Thumb.png (365.56 KiB) Viewed 2519 times
Ergodox SCM Render Alpha.png
Ergodox SCM Render Alpha.png (333.82 KiB) Viewed 2519 times

e_l_tang

16 Apr 2017, 09:26

Having different heights for the thumb keycaps is a really interesting idea.

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

16 Apr 2017, 13:35

e_l_tang wrote: Having different heights for the thumb keycaps is a really interesting idea.
More like an interesting accident, or at least an unexpected result of some asymmetrical communication. I think it's worth testing out. I like the idea of a sculpted profile for the thumb but honestly do not know how well it would function in practice

vvp

16 Apr 2017, 22:00

You can try to emulate something like this. It works OK for me.
th-s.jpg
th-s.jpg (48.79 KiB) Viewed 2415 times
Hopefully it is clear enough. If not then you can try the full view.

e_l_tang

17 Apr 2017, 02:18

vvp wrote: You can try to emulate something like this. It works OK for me.
th-s.jpg
Hopefully it is clear enough. If not then you can try the full view.
I took a look at your keyboard and I gotta say that looks super comfortable to use!

vvp

17 Apr 2017, 18:56

Thanks. It works well for me. Anyway this is a thread about keycaps. I only wanted to give some idea what height differences may work well.
rsbseb can include that in his alternatives for thumb cluster keycaps, print it, and test what works best for him. Ergodox is a bit different so he may need different tweaks too :)

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

18 Apr 2017, 03:52

vvp wrote: Thanks. It works well for me. Anyway this is a thread about keycaps. I only wanted to give some idea what height differences may work well.
rsbseb can include that in his alternatives for thumb cluster keycaps, print it, and test what works best for him. Ergodox is a bit different so he may need different tweaks too :)
Well, I have to be honest, I am not an ErgoDox user. I cant even come close to touch typing. I would get totally lost in that most awesome contraption of a keyboard you've got. As far as ergomics go for me, a simple staggered column keyboard would be my best bet and I have some thoughts on doing one as soon as I have enough good / rebuilt IZOT switches to work with.

I think with all the row profiles SCM is ultimately intend to offer it might be possible to approximate something like your keyboard at some point.
Attachments
SCM%20Profile%20r2.jpg
SCM%20Profile%20r2.jpg (16.7 KiB) Viewed 2348 times

vvp

18 Apr 2017, 11:33

OK, you may want to check this thread too.
It gives you some more ideas about how to make your (future) keyboard a bit more comfortable using the keycap way.

Phenix
-p

25 Apr 2017, 23:20

I use R1 cherry caps as thumbs exclusively (relegendable ones, which I mounted leaning to the 2u keys)

If i can get an prototype set will happily test it..

Return to “Workshop”