OmniKey Plus NKRO?

THATGUY69

27 Apr 2017, 05:18

I recently picked up a OmniKey Plus from 1988 with white alps in it. I heard that the OmniKey came with NKRO, but It doesn't seem to work with mine. I'm using the soarers converter that I bought to use with my IBM Model F xt. I like to game a little bit, but some combinations simply make playing games impossible( The 'w', 'a', 'r' combo doesn't register). Is there something I need to do to make the NKRO work(Since this thing has a serious number of DIP switches) or did this model simply not come with NKRO? Thanks!

andrewjoy

27 Apr 2017, 10:43

It may be your converter , all northgates should have n-key rollover

Do you have a computer with PS/2 to test ?

THATGUY69

27 Apr 2017, 16:55

andrewjoy wrote: It may be your converter , all northgates should have n-key rollover

Do you have a computer with PS/2 to test ?
It's an older omnikey, it has the 5 PIN DIN connector. I have a 5 PIN DIN to PS2 adapter coming in the mail, then Ill connect that to my ps2 to usb connector. I'm gonna be a daisy chaining fool :D . Crossing fingers it'll work.

andrewjoy

27 Apr 2017, 17:17

AT and PS/2 are pretty much identical protocols.

That should work, then we can test if the issue is the keyboard or the USB converter.

balotz

27 Apr 2017, 18:49

THATGUY69 wrote: I recently picked up a OmniKey Plus from 1988 with white alps in it. I heard that the OmniKey came with NKRO, but It doesn't seem to work with mine. I'm using the soarers converter that I bought to use with my IBM Model F xt. I like to game a little bit, but some combinations simply make playing games impossible( The 'w', 'a', 'r' combo doesn't register). Is there something I need to do to make the NKRO work(Since this thing has a serious number of DIP switches) or did this model simply not come with NKRO? Thanks!
I have an omnikey 101. I could only get the NKRO (well, 6 via USB) to work with one of those Belkin split adapters, the one with two ports, for mouse and keyboard.

With the 'blue cube', I get 5 KRO, and with the techkeys adapter I get 4..

fohat
Elder Messenger

27 Apr 2017, 23:52

I have never actually tested this, but it may require a true PS/2 connection.

Aren't many new motherboards' sockets mere PS/2-to-USB protocol?
Attachments
Omnikey-PCB-rollover.jpg
Omnikey-PCB-rollover.jpg (341.51 KiB) Viewed 2110 times

THATGUY69

27 Apr 2017, 23:53

balotz wrote:
THATGUY69 wrote: I recently picked up a OmniKey Plus from 1988 with white alps in it. I heard that the OmniKey came with NKRO, but It doesn't seem to work with mine. I'm using the soarers converter that I bought to use with my IBM Model F xt. I like to game a little bit, but some combinations simply make playing games impossible( The 'w', 'a', 'r' combo doesn't register). Is there something I need to do to make the NKRO work(Since this thing has a serious number of DIP switches) or did this model simply not come with NKRO? Thanks!
I have an omnikey 101. I could only get the NKRO (well, 6 via USB) to work with one of those Belkin split adapters, the one with two ports, for mouse and keyboard.

With the 'blue cube', I get 5 KRO, and with the techkeys adapter I get 4..
Could it be since it's an older one it doesn't have NKRO? It's a 107 key omniKey plus.

THATGUY69

30 Apr 2017, 02:37

andrewjoy wrote: AT and PS/2 are pretty much identical protocols.

That should work, then we can test if the issue is the keyboard or the USB converter.
Well, I got my adapter in, still only 2 key rollover, any suggestions on where to start?

Return to “Keyboards”