Mike52787's Collection Album

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

02 May 2017, 22:23

Figured I would post a collection album, as it seems to be the cool thing to do now :) This is not complete, as I have a ton of projects in progress, I will list those at the end. Alrighty, lets go!

My trusty F122 6110347. Floss modded, Xwhatsit installed. IBM Wheelwriter keycaps. Yes, I know it is missing a cap :(

Cherry g80-0693. I have 2 of these curiosities. AT layout, OG doubleshots, very very smooth vintage MX black. I just wish I could convert them!

A Hi-Tek Space invaders version of the above board. Also very very cool. White space invaders with dyesub caps. also wish I could use this one!

IBM SSK. 1987, Bolt modded, Came with all one piece caps, but I have installed sabre terminal model M caps. I just wish I had the left arrow from this set! also, the badge for this is in the mail. This will be the willing recipient of my MF SSK internals.

Omnikey 101. One of my favorite boards to use. Alps SKCM Cream switches, Grey painted case with white painted plate and SGI granite keycaps to tie it all together. My favorite switches in one of the best alps chassises. what's not to like?

OTD The Cheat. 62g Ergo clears, lubed and stickered. OG Cherry dyesub keycaps. I love this board so much, another of my favorite boards to use. I am writing this post on it!

NTC KB-6851. SKCL Green alps, Bondwell Alps Spherical keycaps with some AEK caps mixed in. I will be getting another set of bondwell caps soon, and hopefully I can eliminate most of the AEK caps. I reworked the layout extensively on this board to give it a decent bottom row and a real arrow cluster instead of the travesty it shipped with.

IBM 5251 Beamspring. I havent gotten around to cleaning up the case on this baby yet, but I think it looks better with no case. Absolutely amazing to type on. Need to get it converted soon.

Datadesk Mac-101e. SKCM white switches. super nice board, bought it to desolder it, but couldnt bring myself to kill such a cool board.

Acer 6311. Got this baby for a secret santa gift this year. Cant say I like the switches, but the caps are awesome. I think those sublegends are thai, but I cannot confirm.

KBP V60 Matias. I rebuilt this board with Alps SKCM cream switches, My favorite! Also has an Alps64 PCB installed. The keycaps are a mix of tai hao doubleshots(bottom row mods), AEK(enter and pipe) and Tai hao FAME cherry profile doubleshots. Great board to use. lovely!

Apple M0116. Alps SKCM orange. Bought this one to desolder as well, but it was in such good condition I couldn't do it. The switches are pristine, and there is hardly any yellowing.

NOT PICTURED:

Hi-Tek Tactile Grey space invaders RT-101
IBM Model F 122 6110347 (in pieces)
IBM Model F 107 (in pieces, waiting for xwhatsit)
IBM Model F 5291 Bigfoot (in pieces, too lazy to work on it!)
IBM Model M13 (Missing some caps)
IBM Model M 1393463 Sabre (No caps, Bolt Modded)
3x Focus 2001 with alps clones (some missing caps, dirty, waiting to be desoldered)
4x Wyse EPC vintage black (dirty, waiting to be desoldered, very nice switches)

Thank you for looking!

PollandAkuma

02 May 2017, 23:10

Nice boards! Especially that red one, is it vintage? ;)

emdude
Model M Apologist

02 May 2017, 23:13

Your boards look great! For some reason I find your Datadesk board fascinating in particular, but it's also nice to see that one M0116. May it live a long, *complete* life! :mrgreen:

I should get a collection album together at some point too!

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

02 May 2017, 23:13

PollandAkuma wrote: Nice boards! Especially that red one, is it vintage? ;)
Way back from the year 2011! Doubt you would remember it :P

alienman82

02 May 2017, 23:21

removed.
Last edited by alienman82 on 02 Mar 2018, 03:48, edited 1 time in total.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

02 May 2017, 23:23

emdude wrote: it's also nice to see that one M0116. May it live a long, *complete* life! :mrgreen:
Who says a butcher can't have a pet cow?

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

02 May 2017, 23:24

alienman82 wrote: get that crap off your esc key
Fucking normies! Get the fuck off my boarddddd! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

PollandAkuma

02 May 2017, 23:48

alienman82 wrote: get that crap off your esc key
it's a meme, you can't get sneks off

Wingpad

02 May 2017, 23:53

10/10 collection, much goodness here.

Engicoder

03 May 2017, 00:17

I haven't seen that Link Alloy board before. What connector does the space invaders version have?

dokyun

03 May 2017, 00:28

Lovely paint job on the Omnikey, works great with the SGI caps.

How do you like those tactile space invaders, by the way? There's at least one nos left on eBay but opinions about the grey tactiles are hard to find.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

03 May 2017, 00:30

Engicoder wrote: I haven't seen that Link Alloy board before. What connector does the space invaders version have?
Some strange RJ12 6 pin cable. Not sure about the protocol. I haven't tried it with a soarer's converter yet.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

03 May 2017, 00:30

dokyun wrote: Lovely paint job on the Omnikey, works great with the SGI caps.

How do you like those tactile space invaders, by the way? There's at least one nos left on eBay but opinions about the grey tactiles are hard to find.
I personally like them, but others don't. A polarizing switch for sure.

scottc

03 May 2017, 01:00

no planck, not enough artisans, 2/10 at best

taylorswiftttttt

03 May 2017, 05:25

removed
Last edited by taylorswiftttttt on 25 May 2022, 11:15, edited 1 time in total.

Scottex

03 May 2017, 11:55

Floss modded F122
I'll find you and I'll hurt you

emdude
Model M Apologist

03 May 2017, 12:21

mike52787 wrote: Who says a butcher can't have a pet cow?
Treat it well then! ;)

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

03 May 2017, 12:58

I really like that more people are creating threads to catalog their collections. It is inspiring me to do the same at some point. All the photos are already taken, but I do need to assemble them into a more coherent form.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

03 May 2017, 13:18

Scottex wrote:Floss modded F122
I took the singing voice away from my model F. Everyone says it's a crime... but it sounds so right :P

paecific.jr

03 May 2017, 13:34

Man, I should do this.

fohat
Elder Messenger

03 May 2017, 13:46

mike52787 wrote:
Scottex wrote:Floss modded F122
I took the singing voice away from my model F. Everyone says it's a crime... but it sounds so right
A Model F needs the floss mod unless you live alone. I have more than a half-dozen Fs and I consider it an essential modification for all of them.

The Model M, on the other hand, gains very little from the mod and I would not even bother.

tigpha

03 May 2017, 14:02

The one Bigfoot F that I dampened, not a "floss mod", but a "neoprene mod" (need to show pictures) had springs that ringed at different frequencies causing a dissonant typing cacophony: loud and tone-deaf too. Ignominious! The others are more tuneful, and I like that harmonious ping sound far better.

snoopy

03 May 2017, 14:07

tigpha wrote: The one Bigfoot F that I dampened, not a "floss mod", but a "neoprene mod" (need to show pictures) had springs that ringed at different frequencies causing a dissonant typing cacophony: loud and tone-deaf too. Ignominious! The others are more tuneful, and I like that harmonious ping sound far better.
neoprene mod? 'sounds' interesting. :)

tigpha

03 May 2017, 14:12

Yeah, I should illustrate with photos. I cut a thin sheet of neoprene in to thin slivers roughly 2mm x 2mm x 13mm, and squished them thinner by rolling between finger and thumb, and inserted them into the springs before they expand to fill the space. It might not be easily reversible, mind you -- floss should be easier to remove if you don't like the result.

Harshmallow

04 May 2017, 22:27

dokyun wrote: Lovely paint job on the Omnikey, works great with the SGI caps.

I am another one that loves the tactile grey Space Invaders. I've heard some people liken them to MX Browns - I completely disagree (They're quite a bit stiffer, for one). I've been using the NOS RT-101+ INTEL a bunch of us got at work as my daily for over a month now and love it. After a few solid days of use you get accustomed to typing on them just lightly enough to get past the tactile bump and avoid the much stiffer last 15% or so of travel that make the switches feel weird. I think most of the complaints stem from that...if you bottom out, on your way back up the tactile bump will feel a lot more pronounced than it did on the way down. Hard to describe, but I thought I'd try.

*Edit - NICE COLLECTION MIKE <3

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

05 May 2017, 01:11

Harshmallow wrote: *Edit - NICE COLLECTION MIKE <3

Harshmallow

05 May 2017, 01:27

mike52787 wrote:
Harshmallow wrote: *Edit - NICE COLLECTION MIKE <3
I'll never be away for too long, that's a promise! I'm due for a visit soon though, maybe tonight after the gym.

__red__

07 May 2017, 01:42

mike52787 wrote: >> Apple M0116.
What is the purpose of that peculiar looking "play" button in the middle of the keyboard's forehead?

Chyros

07 May 2017, 01:53

__red__ wrote:
mike52787 wrote: >> Apple M0116.
What is the purpose of that peculiar looking "play" button in the middle of the keyboard's forehead?
It's a power button.

Return to “Gallery”