KBP V60 Type R Programmable 60% Keyboard

Hypersphere

15 Jul 2017, 18:25

ADVENT of the TYPE R V60 KEYBOARD

Ever since I purchased my first V60 keyboard, I have been badgering KBP with requests to produce a completely programmable keyboard. They have finally done so, but with so little fanfare that I missed the initial launch. No doubt they made the announcement on the KBP Facebook page, but I seldom use this form of social media.

After my most recent clamoring on Massdrop, someone pointed out that my wish had been granted, informing me that KBP's completely programmable board had been out for some time and in two flavors: the V60 Type R Polestar with RGB LEDs, and the V60 Type R with only a single LED for the CapsLock indicator.

Both types of V60 Type R are available from MechanicalKeyboards.com (MK). In fact, they had been listed with MK for some time without indicating that they were completely programmable. I sent them a note pointing out the programmability, and they added this very important information to the product descriptions on their web site. Prices range from $99 to $119 depending on LEDs and the variety of Cherry mx switch. Mine was $109 for the non-LED model with Cherry mx Green switches. Shipping is free, at least within the continental US.

PROGRAMMING

The V60 Type R has the ATMega32u4 chip that is programmed using TMK. Recently updated programming instructions are available online:

https://massdrop-s3.imgix.net/V60typeR_ ... 7-0606.pdf

Dutifully following the instructions (including the tip about having a second keyboard plugged into my computer), I was able to get my V60 Type R programmed to my satisfaction on the first try. Multiple function layers are possible, which would be helpful for controlling the various LED options in the Polestar model, but I kept my setup simple, with a single Fn layer.

Programming is easy -- After pressing the reset button underneath the keyboard, you simply type your desired key assignments onto a graphical layout furnished through a web page, copy and paste the automatically generated code into a designated window, download the resulting keyboard configuration file, and drag and drop the configuration file onto a batch file that flashes the keyboard controller for you.

My V60 Type R now has a HHKB-like layout. I was very pleased to discover that I was able to remap the original Fn key, and, unlike the situation with the Vortex Pok3R, the KBP V60 Type R permits remapping of the Right Control key (which I remapped as Fn).

STILL a V60

Switches. Apart from the programmability in the Type R, which is excellent, or the RGB LEDs in the Polestar variant, the Type R is still a V60. Thus far, the switch options of the Type R only include Cherry mx (Red or Grey Linear, Blue or Green Clicky, Clear or Grey Tactile). As yet, the Type R is not available with Gateron or Matias switches. I hope that KBP will add Gateron and Matias options to their Type R lineup.
V60R_2c-50.jpg
V60R_2c-50.jpg (55.51 KiB) Viewed 4051 times
Stabilizers. Like the standard V60 with Cherry or Gateron switches, the Type R has Cherry stabilizers, which to me feel mushy. I much prefer the wire Costar-type stabilizers, like those that KBP uses in their Matias-switch V60 models. Vortex has modified the Cherry-type stabilizers in the Pok3r, and they feel less mushy than the standard Cherry stabilizers in the V60 and V60 Type R. The stabilizers in my keyboard were also a bit rattily, but this was satisfactorily addressed by lubricating them with some Superlube 21010 synthetic grease.

Case and Connector. The non-LED model has the standard V60 plastic case. The LED model (Polestar) has a translucent case with a diffuser layer for the light show. I haven't tried the Polestar, but I like the standard V60 case on my keyboard -- it provides more of a resonant chamber than a flat metal case does. There are no flip-out feet, but there are four non-skid pads and the case is sloped to provide a comfortable typing angle. Nevertheless, I added some self-adhesive rubber feet to increase the angle. The connector is mini-USB located in the left rear corner of the case.

Keycaps. The stock keycaps are pad-printed ABS that include front-printed legends for the default layout. I find the legends too small and unattractive, and the raised pad printing has a distracting feel.

I changed the keycaps, using a mix from sets of OEM profile thick dye-sublimated PBT caps from Ducky. The alphas are black on cream, most of the mods are dark gray, and the two accent keys (Esc and Fn) are black on blue. I also silenced the spacebar somewhat by placing a red 40A-L 0.2 mm O-ring on the center stem. To my eye and fingers, the new caps look and feel much better than the stock caps, but I think the keys sounded better with the thin ABS caps -- thick PBT is sometimes overrated in this respect.
V60R_3-15.jpg
V60R_3-15.jpg (136.53 KiB) Viewed 4051 times
OVERALL CONCLUSION

KBP has taken a great step forward with the V60 Type R by adding true complete programmability. For those who like Cherry mx switches and Cherry stabilizers, the basic V60 is a serviceable keyboard, but the total programmability provided in the Type R elevates the V60 to a new level. However, I would like to see KBP expand the Type R line by adding options for Gateron and Matias switches. In addition, I believe the feel of the keyboard could be improved by changing the stabilizers from Cherry to Costar-type or at least making this an option. Alternatively, they could look into modifying the Cherry stabilizers as Vortex has apparently done in the Pok3r to make the stabilized keys feel less mushy. KBP should also consider providing choices for higher-quality keycaps and/or a barebones no-keycaps option. RGB LEDs just for a lightshow would not be a priority for me, but I would consider functional backlighting, which is already a component of the Polestar variant of the Type R V60. Finally, although I am fine with the stock plastic case, there are those who prefer a high-quality aluminum case, but unless this could be done without a substantial increase in price, it might be best to forgo this option and leave it up to the customer to add an aftermarket case. Overall, I like the V60 Type R, and I give very high marks to KBP for making the V60 fully programmable.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

15 Jul 2017, 22:03

Good to see another review from you Hypersphere, sounds like KBP should add more options for this keyboard. Very objective conclusion as always!

Hypersphere

15 Jul 2017, 22:33

Thanks, Seebart! I'm typing this on the V60R for a change of pace from my HHKB. In general, Cherry mx is my least-favorite type of switch, but the Greens are less wimpy than Blues. However, every time I hit the Enter key, I wish it had Costar-type stabilizers instead of the mushy Cherry ones. Matias switches would be nice option for this keyboard, but I probably won't be satisfied until I build my own 60% with SKCM Blue or clickified Orange Alps.

TuxKey
LLAP

13 Aug 2017, 14:46

Nice review HyperSphere ;-) i skimmed this review a while back but forgot all about it.
Certainly agree with you on the part of programability. Ever since i got the Hasu Controller in my FC660C i’m a 100% convert programability is a must.

i still have my FC660M with mx-clear and no replacement controller for that one.
But i’m in for the K-type with Halo Clears.. And who knows perhaps my board will slip by customs and save me the $80 penalty for being a world consumer...

btw still havent build in my hypersphere rings on my FC660C Shameful...
they are sitting in the original bag i got them..Need to investigate lube types and read up on lubing but don’t have the time this year perhaps next year to much on my plate.

TuxKey
LLAP

13 Aug 2017, 14:48

almost forgot ...everyone is a 60% fan..am i the only 65% fan ..need my arrow cluster

Hypersphere

19 Aug 2017, 18:27

TuxKey wrote: almost forgot ...everyone is a 60% fan..am i the only 65% fan ..need my arrow cluster
When I first got into mechanical keyboards in a serious way, I thought I would never use a keyboard without dedicated arrow keys, but that changed after trying the HHKB Pro 2.

Now, I can use full-size, TKL, or 60% keyboards, but as much as I've tried to like those in the twilight zone between 60% and TKL, I am thrown off by the various placements of arrow and other navigation keys.

As an example, I have a very nice Suntouch Jr. 84-key with SKCM white "pine" Alps. The feel and sound of this board are great, but I don't like the layout, so I have recently sold the board.

Yes, I suppose there are many fans of the 60% form factor out there, but some of the in-between boards are quite popular as well, such as the Leopold FC660C and the legendary White Fox.

TuxKey
LLAP

19 Aug 2017, 18:39

I certainly understand the esthetics of a 60% and if your usage of the arrow cluster is medium to minimal I would jump on one for sure. But I use the arrow cluster with other key combinations on the bottom row to jump in text like going to a specific word in a sentence (fast) highlighting , selecting words, sentences. Jumping to the end/start of a word. Selecting part of a file name from start to the first punctuation. Basically text editing. And not to mention navigating to a second and third desktop. So how would one do this if the arrow cluster is under a second layer only accessible true a combination of keys ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

consolation

20 Aug 2017, 02:20

TuxKey wrote: ... So how would one do this if the arrow cluster is under a second layer only accessible true a combination of keys ;-)
You forget this is a programmable keyboard; that's why, rather than doing the spastic spider, you program the shortcuts to a simple combination of one or two keys. That's why programmable 60% are much, much, more functional, and it's a big deal, c.f. a non programmable 60s.

Return to “Reviews”