[WIP] KeyBoi DT60 - a 60% ortholinear GH60 case compatible

brunoboi

21 Jun 2017, 07:45

Hello everyone ;-)

I am Bruno and I am an IT developer from Belgium.

I am seeking for years a keyboard that fit all my requirements... As I've never found it, let's build it !
It will be my very first custom board.

Those are my requirements:
  • ortholinear/non-staggered layout (inspired by OLKB boards)
  • the layout should have the return key near the center (inspired by the TypeMatrix tm2030)
  • it will support the french bépo layout
  • it should run over QMK (as this firmware has more features than usual)
  • it should be compatible with GH60/Pok3r cases (as I don't want to design a custom case and because those are easily available and also because sandwich-layered cases are not sexy enough for me)
  • it will not be hand-wired (because I like challenges and I would like to learn how to design my very first PCB)
  • the PCB will NOT have any surface-mounted parts (as I don't have the required tools and do not want to buy it)
I am working on this for a while and I came out with a layout that MAY fit GH60 cases:
dt68-blank.png
dt68-blank.png (49.14 KiB) Viewed 3335 times
(open in imgur)

This layout is also compatible with blank Ergodox keycap sets.

The dt68 needs:
  • 55x 1u keycaps
  • 12x 1.5u keycaps
  • 1x 2u keycap
The Infinity Ergodox needs:
  • 60x 1u keycaps
  • 12x 1.5u keycaps
  • 4x 2u keycaps
Here are the KLE layouts I am working on to:
empty layout
qwerty layout
bépo layout (slightly customized)

Here is the plate switch layer:

In order to achieve this project, I need your help ;-)

So, what do you think about ? Feel free to post questions/remarks/thoughts :D

I have got some questions for you:
  • Do you see any problems for GH60 compatibility with the plate switch layer ?
  • What controller would you chose in order to ensure full QMK possibilities ? I was thinking about a Teensy but I don't know which one to chose and why.
  • Do you think that the centered vertical 2U key will be stable enough without a stab ?
I will update this post as the project will grow.

Thank you all !

P.S.: English is not my mother language, please help me improving myself ! If there is something not clear enough about what I wrote --> just PM me :-p

EDIT: I changed the topic name from [...]dt68[...] to [...]DT60[...]
Last edited by brunoboi on 05 Sep 2017, 16:48, edited 1 time in total.

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

22 Jun 2017, 00:29

Hi, I like the idea. I wonder why there aren't any ortholinear keyboards that fit into a poker case. I also thought about it a bit, but yeah not enough time or energy to design it for myself. I have some suggestions if you want to try to start a GB for the PCB+Plate (or just PCB). I think the 2u key will be stable enough, many plancks also use on the spacebar no stabiliser. My suggestion is if you want to do a Group Buy, add more layouts, for example: that it is possible to split the 2u key in 2 1u keys and more options for the bottom row. For the controller, I think a teensy 2.0 should do the job. Btw if you mount the Teensy on the pcb, will it still fit inside a poker case without modifications?

brunoboi

22 Jun 2017, 10:54

Hello hypkx.

Thanks for your interest.

I do not plan to start a group buy.

Adding layout alternatives is a good idea ;-)
But if I want to keep the compatibility with poker cases, I probably do not want to lose the fit with the middle center screw support.
I think these alternatives should fit:
Spoiler:
Do you think that the screw holes depicted on the switch plate layer, the ones that are over MX holes, would bring some issue ?

About the teensy board mounted on the PCB, it will depend on the case I will chose.
Some seems to get more space near the top.

(that guy added bluetooth PCB in his poker 2 case here)

brunoboi

29 Jun 2017, 09:45

Hello everyone !

After thoughts, I don't see how a Poker case could handle a teensy (some may fit but not all cases).

Here is a PCB I designed with an atmega32u4.

That's my very first PCB design ever, please don't laugh :-D
Spoiler:
Any of you see any issue with theses ?

Thank you all !

zorkroz

12 Jul 2017, 13:01

Hi, I'm a keyboard newbie looking for a keyboard with pretty much the same requirements as you. This looks very promising indeed, good job.

If you ever change your mind and start a GB count me in.

brunoboi

01 Sep 2017, 09:07

Hello everyone.

There's an update.

I made some slight changes to the PCB:
  • ISP connector added
  • changed cherry connectors to 5 pin (PCB mounted)
Spoiler:
By the way, a feature I did not mention: dt68 will have the same speaker that JH's OLKBs have.

As I am not able to (don't want to learn, in fact) solder SMD/SMT components, I would like to use SeeedStudio Fusion PCBA service. What do you think about ?

When I will order those PCBs, I will have few extra PCBs that I may send to any of you showing interests in this project.

(EDIT) I forgot to ask: I have an issue when generating drill files. The mounting holes are not properly recognised by seeedstudio gerber viewer tool. Do you have any tips for generation of these files ?

brunoboi

05 Sep 2017, 16:54

hypkx wrote: ... My suggestion is if you want to do a Group Buy, add more layouts, for example: that it is possible to split the 2u key in 2 1u keys and more options for the bottom row...
What do you think about those alternatives: KLE editor.

That would bring that board close to something like that:
Spoiler:

Return to “Workshop”