[IC] Katana60 tmk/qmk 60% PCB, with ALPs and MX support -updated intro

rominronin

15 Nov 2017, 09:09

As the Katana60 nears launch, I've been working on an improved default layout, although I'm a Colemak user, the default layout will be QWERTY for all the unconverted masses ;)

Default layer -

Extend layer -

Num Lock layer -

Function/Space Fn layer -

DEFAULT layer
This will also be available in Colemak.

The beauty of the Katana60 layout is that pretty much every key is accessible via the home row, but there are still a good number of 'spare' or harder to reach keys which can be used as one-shot hunt-and-peck keys. Eg, in my personal layout, I use the media controls (found in the Extend layer) in the middle, instead of the navigation cluster (home, end, page up/down etc).

Of course it is possible to use a 'traditional' arrow cluster arrangement (bottom right) or the central location (as in the original post). The firmware is based on QMK, so its fully customiseable.

EXTEND layer
Currently under development over at the Colemak forum. I'd say the right hand is nearly there, and the left hand is subject to changes before launch

NUM-LOCK layer
This could be shifted 2 steps over to the right, so the numbers 4, 5 and 6 align with the hand in the home row position, I just like the fact that the '0 Ins' and 'Num Lock' keys line up perfectly for this position!

FUNCTION layer
I have been using the space key as [tap = space, or tap-hold = functino layer modifier], some may prefer to remove the layer modifier option. In this case I would suggest moving the Fn key (currently on the bottom left of the default layer) to the middle of the bottom row (where the shift key currently lives). Then you'd have a space key on the bottom left ;)

Please let me know your thoughts on the above, I'd love to hear your feedback.

Tuntematon

05 Dec 2017, 22:19

The lack of a symmetrical bottom row irks me, especially given the nice symmetry everywhere else. I don't see why the following configuration wasn't used instead:

1.25 | 1.25 | 1.25 | 1.25 | 2.0 | 1.0 | 2.0 | 1.25 | 1.25 | 1.25 | 1.25

Nuum

05 Dec 2017, 23:12

That is exactly my problem with this PCB! I would love to see a symmetric bottom row on this and the one Tuntematon proposed looks nice, but I'd prefer 5x 1u keys on the right, to have room for arrow keys like on an Apple M0118.
So 1.25 | 1.25 | 1.25 | 1.25 | 2.0 | 1.0 | 2.0 | 1 | 1 | 1| 1| 1 would be awesome!

Phenix
-p

06 Dec 2017, 04:03

rominronin wrote:Hey Phenix.
I'm reluctant to go with trackopint support mainly because they are not reliably sourced.

But that being said, I will look into alternative pointer device integration for the future versions.
No problem. Could you maybe do a alight Integration and atleast add a drill hole for the stick and exposed pins for the ?
Trackpoints are Common and easily found in ThinkPad boards..

AMongoose

06 Dec 2017, 11:28

Nuum wrote: That is exactly my problem with this PCB! I would love to see a symmetric bottom row on this and the one Tuntematon proposed looks nice, but I'd prefer 5x 1u keys on the right, to have room for arrow keys like on an Apple M0118.
So 1.25 | 1.25 | 1.25 | 1.25 | 2.0 | 1.0 | 2.0 | 1 | 1 | 1| 1| 1 would be awesome!
but that's not symmetrical is it?

Nuum

06 Dec 2017, 12:38

Not exactly, no. The main thing I'd want to have symmetrical is the spacebars, would fit the keyboard much better, I think. As it is now, the left spacebar is 0.25u bigger than the right one and that just looks weird to me. Also, since I got my BananaSplit 60% I fell in love with the option to have arrow keys on a 60%, so it's fine to me to have the bottom row not perfectly symmetrical, if in return I can have AltGr and arrow keys on the right.

So I'd probably do a layout like this:
KatanaSymSpace.png
KatanaSymSpace.png (17.94 KiB) Viewed 5164 times

rominronin

06 Dec 2017, 13:52

Tuntematon wrote: The lack of a symmetrical bottom row irks me, especially given the nice symmetry everywhere else. I don't see why the following configuration wasn't used instead:

1.25 | 1.25 | 1.25 | 1.25 | 2.0 | 1.0 | 2.0 | 1.25 | 1.25 | 1.25 | 1.25
:? One of my goals in creating the layout was to allow compatibility for standard ANSI sets. This was in order to keep a low buy-in to a new layout. David (CandyKeys) and I are looking at prices for custom keycap legends - this would also look at correct row profile for the handful of out-of-place keycaps that are necessary for compatibility.
Nuum wrote: Not exactly, no. The main thing I'd want to have symmetrical is the spacebars, would fit the keyboard much better, I think. As it is now, the left spacebar is 0.25u bigger than the right one and that just looks weird to me. Also, since I got my BananaSplit 60% I fell in love with the option to have arrow keys on a 60%, so it's fine to me to have the bottom row not perfectly symmetrical, if in return I can have AltGr and arrow keys on the right.

So I'd probably do a layout like this:
KatanaSymSpace.png
I can certainly see the benefit of consistency in the space bar size, maybe that's something for a possible V2 ;)

Katana60 currently available from candykeys.com, katana60 has also been merged into QMK, so you can create and flash your keymap! 8-)

PS. I really like your German layout Nuum, have you used tried using this particular layout? How does it work day-to-day?

Nuum

06 Dec 2017, 13:57

Thanks! Unfortunately I haven't tried it, I just drew up what made sense to me and tried to leave the alpha keys on their specific rows, since those are probably the hardest to find in a different row profile.

Could you post a picture of the final supported layouts again and maybe have it added to candykeys site?
Great price, btw!

rominronin

06 Dec 2017, 14:21

The PCB supports the following layouts, all 6 bottom row possibilities are shown:

The plate for sale on CandyKeys is MX compatible only, though the PCB does support ALPs too.

PS. I could have clarified further in my answer above; if you're wondering why I didn't support BOTH 2u and 2.25u space bars (on the left hand side); this was because the two footprints would have overlapped, making it impossible to support PCB mounded stabilisers in that position.

Since I had to choose one or the other, I went with the option that allowed most compatibility with widely available keycap sets. A lot of thought went into it, I assure you!

rominronin

06 Dec 2017, 14:24

PS. if anyone is wondering what it looks like with a fully profile correct middle row, here are some pictures:
and

I have to say I'm not the biggest fan. I can also assure anyone who is concerned, that the 1.25u keys being the wrong profile is not noticeable at all in daily use.

edit: I f*ckin' love the Katana symbol in the middle, really looks outstanding imo. 8-)

Return to “Workshop”