True confession: The newer Macbook KB is one my favorite laptop KBs

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

14 Dec 2017, 16:22

Never thought I would type that sentence. And I’m swear that I’m not trolling. But it’s true. When compared to all the other laptop keyboards out there, I type faster and more accurate on the newish butterfly MacBook keyboard. I have tried the latest Dell business and Thinkpad laptop keyboards, generally regarded as some of the best laptop keyboards out there, and they suffer from the inherent issues of low travel scissor switch keyboard no matter how you swing it.

Now my usual laptop is the Lenovo old style keyboard, and I like that as much as any laptop keyboard. But if I had to select one laptop keyboard currently in the market, new MacBook keyboard could be it.

wobbled

14 Dec 2017, 16:27

Yep I totally agree. The newest macbook pro keyboard is fantastic.
Gen 1 butterfly apple switches were kind of mediocre but the latest revision is the best I have tried. I love how tactile they are

scottc

14 Dec 2017, 16:28

Terrible. I can't get used to mine at all. It's such a pain.

Sent from my newer Macbook keyboard.

andrewjoy

14 Dec 2017, 16:31

I don't like them , they sound nice but the travel is too short , far far too short .

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

14 Dec 2017, 16:42

wobbled wrote: Yep I totally agree. The newest macbook pro keyboard is fantastic.
Gen 1 butterfly apple switches were kind of mediocre but the latest revision is the best I have tried. I love how tactile they are
It’s more so the feeling of tactility that it gives you. I think what sells it to me is the lightness of the keys while still maintaining a sense of tactility and accuracy. While other low force switches often lead to inaccuracy (MX Red, Topre 30g) and clicky, tactile switches usually require more force and key travel.
andrewjoy wrote: I don't like them , they sound nice but the travel is too short , far far too short .
This is my main concern with long term usage on these keyboards. Will the feeling of typing on a wall be too overwhelming and painful for comfortable use over long periods of time, like many other laptop keyboard? I don’t know, because I don’t own a MacBook, but during the short periods of use, I type better on them than the alternatives.

scottc

14 Dec 2017, 17:55

I find it much harsher than the earlier gen Macbook keyboards, like the 2014. The low travel means that I always bottom out hard, and it's not as cushioned as the domes under 2014's keyboard. I'm worried that excessive use of it will end up hurting my hands.

codemonkeymike

14 Dec 2017, 18:06

I had a new Macbook Pro from work and I have to say it gave me instant RSI, to the levels that I had before switching to my Ergodox. Too much pressure going up through my fingers on the downstroke just kills my finger joints.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

14 Dec 2017, 19:16

scottc wrote: I find it much harsher than the earlier gen Macbook keyboards, like the 2014. The low travel means that I always bottom out hard, and it's not as cushioned as the domes under 2014's keyboard. I'm worried that excessive use of it will end up hurting my hands.
codemonkeymike wrote: I had a new Macbook Pro from work and I have to say it gave me instant RSI, to the levels that I had before switching to my Ergodox. Too much pressure going up through my fingers on the downstroke just kills my finger joints.
I fear these issues as described but because the keyboard forces me to type lighter, I wonder if that reduce how hard I type and prevent related issues.

czarek

15 Dec 2017, 10:31

You clearly haven't used 12" PB G4 :) I like its keyboard more than Topre in all honestly. Best Apple keyboard ever.

andrewjoy

15 Dec 2017, 11:07

The old powerbooks and none unibody macbook pro's has fucking awesome keyboards!

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

15 Dec 2017, 14:00

Well, I’m simply referring to laptop keyboards available on the market now.

codemonkeymike

15 Dec 2017, 15:32

vivalarevolución wrote: Well, I’m simply referring to laptop keyboards available on the market now.
I am crossing my fingers that the new Chromebook Pixel will not be as bad as the Macbook Pro keyboard as I plan on purchasing one after the holidays. I have high hopes for it and its keyboard.

Also I don't think there is any way to type lighter on the Macbook Pro keyboard as there is no pretravel.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

15 Dec 2017, 21:55

codemonkeymike wrote:
vivalarevolución wrote: Well, I’m simply referring to laptop keyboards available on the market now.
I am crossing my fingers that the new Chromebook Pixel will not be as bad as the Macbook Pro keyboard as I plan on purchasing one after the holidays. I have high hopes for it and its keyboard.

Also I don't think there is any way to type lighter on the Macbook Pro keyboard as there is no pretravel.
Is Google using a different type of technology than the typical scissor switch? The spec sheet says 0.8 mm travel. :shock:

When I say lighter, I guess that I mean to sort of glide the fingers across the board rather than slam them with authority as we might with a stiffer switch or rubber dome.

codemonkeymike

15 Dec 2017, 23:01

My coworker says he can "glide type", personally I can't. I type like I am playing piano when I get into the grove of things. As for the Chromebook Pixel, it's still a scissor switch but people say it feels more like a 2015 MBP then a 2017 MBP.

hexpyws

17 Dec 2017, 18:26

I like the way they feel/react for short spurts and window navigation/shortcuts, etc, but I'm really not into them for longer term typing. I find that my finger tips end up sort of tired/sore (no, not banging on them). I think there just isn't quite enough travel for me.

The desktop Magic Keyboard is, for me, the lower limit on usable key travel.

I honestly really prefer the previous gen laptop keyboards (2015 15" MacBook Pro and the like).
They have such travel and bounce that I can fly when typing and really never get sore.

That said, I'm back to ergo layouts as the arms/shoulders being forced together on normal layouts is back to causing me issues as I'm getting older. Sucks..

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

18 Dec 2017, 13:50

Yes, it might be near impossible to create a short travel keyboard that doesn’t feel like typing on a wall after awhile.

davkol

18 Dec 2017, 20:09

I stopped by an Apple store the other day and the macbooks there didn't feel like typing on a wall, but rather directly on mouse microswitches (you know, like pressing those tiny notches on them). The travel was about the same and sound wasn't too far off either. Definitely not my cup of tea.

robotsokk

19 Dec 2017, 05:28

For a while, at work I was using one of the newer MBPs as my main machine. Same deal for me as for OP -- I really did enjoy typing on it (which I wasn't expecting). To me, the keypresses felt rather crisp (though with very short travel).

webwit
Wild Duck

19 Dec 2017, 15:47

Laptop keyboards... :? :evil:

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

19 Dec 2017, 16:07

webwit wrote: Laptop keyboards... :? :evil:

This is my inevitable destination, but I would like to ditch the laptop keyboard part altogether and go with a Microsoft Surface clone that has them Intel 8th generation quad-core, low voltage processors I’ve heard so much about and costs significantly less than a Microsoft Surface.

andrewjoy

19 Dec 2017, 16:52

surface pro / clone and a beamspring , everything the modern on the go businessman needs

You could even implement USB C power pass through on the beamspring controller and charge the surface with the bank of lead acid UPS batteries you could fit inside a beamspring :)

several 100 hr battery life anyone :D

TuxKey
LLAP

19 Dec 2017, 19:16

is it me or am i the only one that is impressed by the pic Webwit posted..a setup made in heaven.. if you ask me.
nice view ..nice keybaord nice tracpad and cool drink..ahh damm man ..your a lucky Duck..is that in Australia where it's summer time now? like the view..

on the keyboard side of things my girl loves her Lenovo build in board i put here on my FC660M with mx-clears but their a tad to heavy for her so i ordered here a pink ducky with mx-browns if she doesn't' like that i would have to get here an external lenovo keyboard that would suck..to bad i can't get my hands on a silent mx-red with dsa or xda profile i'm thinking that would approximate the shorter distance of that laptop keyboard and be light enough for here..
But i can't find such a board she finds my FC660C heavy so i don't know how she will like the mx-browns..

webwit
Wild Duck

19 Dec 2017, 19:58

Less exotic :lol: Hiking in Spain and France, finally did les Calanques.

codemonkeymike

19 Dec 2017, 20:40

webwit wrote: Less exotic :lol: Hiking in Spain and France, finally did les Calanques.
A fellow hiker! A Calanques hike is on my bucket list.

pixelheresy

20 Dec 2017, 09:56

andrewjoy wrote: I don't like them , they sound nice but the travel is too short , far far too short .
I agree with this, but do have to admit to the original thesis. It is the best laptop keyboard, thereby "my favorite". Still ass compared to a full-travel, mech board. However, due the the tactility, much more comfortable than a standard shit laptop keyboard (even Gen 1 butterfly switches) or a shit rubber dome.

So I consider it "ok"... but ok is a good step up. Sometimes, I just drag my laptop to a meeting or am on the couch at home checking something. Here it totally works.

Scissor over membrane is not by nature terrible, just really short. I think Cherry MLs feel much worse. Like the new Macbook scissor switches, I also think my AlphaSmart Neo 2's keyboard [scissor but with more normal sculpted keys, but even profile] feel ok as well. Not great, but like the Macbook, being able to pick and go is good [and the Neo is my distraction-free writing tool].

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

21 Dec 2017, 14:26

pixelheresy wrote:
I agree with this, but do have to admit to the original thesis. It is the best laptop keyboard, thereby "my favorite". Still ass compared to a full-travel, mech board. However, due the the tactility, much more comfortable than a standard shit laptop keyboard (even Gen 1 butterfly switches) or a shit rubber dome.

So I consider it "ok"... but ok is a good step up. Sometimes, I just drag my laptop to a meeting or am on the couch at home checking something. Here it totally works.

Scissor over membrane is not by nature terrible, just really short. I think Cherry MLs feel much worse. Like the new Macbook scissor switches, I also think my AlphaSmart Neo 2's keyboard [scissor but with more normal sculpted keys, but even profile] feel ok as well. Not great, but like the Macbook, being able to pick and go is good [and the Neo is my distraction-free writing tool].
Yes, well said, I completely agree. Although webwit’s setup is where I aspire to end up.

ideus

21 Dec 2017, 22:00

It looks like the ideal workplace. Where do you live?

codemonkeymike

21 Dec 2017, 22:29

ideus wrote:
Spoiler:
It looks like the ideal workplace. Where do you live?
webwit wrote: Less exotic :lol: Hiking in Spain and France, finally did les Calanques.

Return to “Keyboards”