IDENTIFY THE KEYBOARD thread

Daniel Beardsmore

07 Jan 2018, 01:58

Specifically, [wiki]Futaba ML series[/wiki], but an all-black version — I forget if those have appeared before, but they are not the common type. Sadly, they're awfully fragile and unsafe to disassemble for inspection.

Chyros

07 Jan 2018, 02:30

consideringquiet wrote:
Chyros wrote: I've had four Futaba boards. None of them were pristine, but all of them were nightmarishly scratchy.
Maybe they are really, really, really sensitive to dirt. Like Alps but more sensitive by an order of magnitude!
That could be of course, but it's not really important. The switches are badly designed anyway xD .

Elrick

07 Jan 2018, 13:06

Forgot to mention to everyone here I found an unopened box down in my basement which contained an old Compaq Keyboard.

Before all the hardcore 'mechanicalist's' walk away laughing at my find, here are the particulars.

Made in Thailand

Model : RT101

P/N : 118930-001 REV. A
S/N : 00499082

It's a Membrane keyboard so this is the killer right here, I can actually type a solid 96wpm with this keyboard which surprises me immensely. With my ape-like hands and fingers I actually fly with this keyboard when it comes data entry.

Another thing of note, everyone normally thinks that all membrane made keyboards are light and flimsy well this one is as heavy as my standard Model-Ms (looks like a Model-M) and it comes with perfectly large legends done in PBT dye-sub. Also I can't twist the edges to make it creak or squeak within it's casing at all. Most other keyboards that I buy whether it be any Logitech's, Cherry's or Razer keyboards I can make noises out of them, due to their inherently cheap/flimsy designed cases.

I forgot how much I paid for this old Compaq keyboard but I think it couldn't of been more than $40.00USD. Not bad price for a keyboard that actually functions surprisingly well, with no let downs at all.

Just surprised me that this now ancient membrane keyboard challenges any other mechanical keyboard I currently own. Word to you lot here on DT Central, never turn your backs on any old membrane keyboards.

if they are NIB you might change your mind on what is actually a pretty decent and comfortable input device that can be used daily.

Dingster

07 Jan 2018, 14:58

Can anyone ID this board for me? Doesnt look mechanical, but hey once can hope :)
Appears to have an AT connector.

Myoth

07 Jan 2018, 15:02

that's a g83-6000, cherry rubber dome, worthless :/

Dingster

07 Jan 2018, 15:12

Myoth wrote: that's a g83-6000, cherry rubber dome, worthless :/
alright thanks. I think I actually had one of these a while ago. Was decent for a rubber dome :lol:

cml

10 Jan 2018, 19:42

ALPS, Acer, rubber dome...?

Daniel Beardsmore

10 Jan 2018, 19:51

Insufficient data thus far. It's close to the C-style case but it's noticeably slimmer. It won't be Alps, and with what seems to be a revised case and revised colour scheme, I'd say rubber dome, but it's impossible to be certain. Can whoever has that not just read off the model number on the back?

option8

10 Jan 2018, 23:48

Identify the switch, win fabulous prizes*:
IMG_20180110_170030.jpg
IMG_20180110_170030.jpg (544.94 KiB) Viewed 4892 times
It's likely from an Apple II or IIe, and I think Alps, but I could be wrong.

I'm modeling various Apple II parts on Thingiverse, and I'm pretty sure I've misidentified this post there, so I'm looking for guidance on what it really is. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2753160

(* no actual prizes)

Chyros

10 Jan 2018, 23:52

cml wrote: Image

ALPS, Acer, rubber dome...?
If memory serves, that's a rubber dome model.

Daniel Beardsmore

10 Jan 2018, 23:55

option8 wrote: (* no actual prizes)
You miserable git.

[wiki]Mitsumi standard mechanical[/wiki] type 1.

See at [wiki]Generic cross mount recognition[/wiki].

By the way, here's the rest of that document, with a comically awful depiction of what you have:

http://retroconnector.com/products/appl ... 2-adapter/

Keybug

12 Jan 2018, 23:25

Might this be a nice ALPS board? Though I remember a board with this layout being bashed as an RD somewhere in this thread or elsewhere. Thanks!
Attachments
videal.jpg
videal.jpg (98.43 KiB) Viewed 4865 times

derzemel

13 Jan 2018, 10:08

I need the help of anyone versed in really old stuff.
Can you tell me something about this?
Edit: All the information I have is that it is a Northern Telecom 4415 data station and it seems that they worked together with Sycor Model 445 Mainframe
Attachments
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (43.72 KiB) Viewed 4843 times
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (35.39 KiB) Viewed 4843 times

snuci
Vintage computer guy

13 Jan 2018, 21:39

Is this NCR keyboard a Siemens in disguise? Do we have anything documented like this? I may be trading this PC soon.
NCR keyboard
NCR keyboard
NCR keyboard.JPG (747 KiB) Viewed 4808 times

Daniel Beardsmore

13 Jan 2018, 22:03

The far side of each keycap's circular area is truncated, which I've seen before, but looking at keyboards on the wiki with Siemens switches, that's not normal. There was a keyboard with some funny switches that turned up a while back, that had Siemens-like keycaps, but I don't recall anything more about it.

However, those could be RAFI keycaps, as they are pretty much that shape.

The first thing to do is check what switches it uses.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

13 Jan 2018, 22:08

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: The first thing to do is check what switches it uses.
Ya, I should have checked. I'll check tomorrow night. It's from a computer I may be trading so I should probably document it first.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

14 Jan 2018, 13:16

I got a chance to take a couple quick phone pics this morning. Oddly enough, it has a very similar model number as this keyboard from Seebart: keyboards-f2/ncr-h0150-std1-10-17-t10652.html but it's definitely not close. This one is KB H0150-STD1-01-17 Here's what the switches look like. It appears to be a keyboard for an NCR DecisionMate IV (picture stolen from an eBay auction).

Edit: Looks to use a RAFI RS 76 M (diode) switch. The key plunger is pink despite the bad lighting.
NCR Keyboard.jpg
NCR Keyboard.jpg (221.5 KiB) Viewed 4745 times
NCR keyboard switches.jpg
NCR keyboard switches.jpg (398.44 KiB) Viewed 4745 times
NCR Keyboard rear switch and label.jpg
NCR Keyboard rear switch and label.jpg (163.69 KiB) Viewed 4745 times
NCR DecisionMate IV.jpg
NCR DecisionMate IV.jpg (6.29 KiB) Viewed 4745 times

rich1051414

14 Jan 2018, 14:07

Daniel Beardsmore

14 Jan 2018, 18:50

Is caps lock momentary or alternate action?

Curious language selector, too.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

14 Jan 2018, 19:59

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: Is caps lock momentary or alternate action?
Alternate action. That key stem was white.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

14 Jan 2018, 20:21

snuci wrote: I got a chance to take a couple quick phone pics this morning. Oddly enough, it has a very similar model number as this keyboard from Seebart
Very interesting, looking foreward to more on that NCR.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

15 Jan 2018, 08:07

kbdfr
The Tiproman

15 Jan 2018, 08:13

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

15 Jan 2018, 08:21

Oh that's interesting. This one doesn't appear to be the topre model - but that's cool that a topre version exists! The model number on this one is MC-FK-200. Though I guess just because model number is different that is doesn't mean it's not a similar switch. The caps on this one look spherical, though.

Daniel Beardsmore

15 Jan 2018, 09:42

They remind me of old Cherry keycaps, the sort you typically see on M8 switches rather than MX switches. Sadly the product was registered with the FCC by DPI Labs, not by whoever made it.

sf78

15 Jan 2018, 17:59

Hi all!

First post and all that, but is this G81 something?
cherry0.jpg
cherry0.jpg (470.02 KiB) Viewed 4636 times
cherry1.jpg
cherry1.jpg (537.22 KiB) Viewed 4636 times
cherry2.jpg
cherry2.jpg (388.26 KiB) Viewed 4636 times

andrea-i

15 Jan 2018, 18:07

hi all! any idea what these switches might be? keyboard looks cute as hell, it's a police device and it showed up on reddit/MechanicalKeyboards, I fear they are rubber domes from the look of it.
Nice layout though!

They are called Motorola MDT, mobile data terminal.
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (223.57 KiB) Viewed 4625 times

Myoth

15 Jan 2018, 18:18

sf78 wrote: Hi all!

First post and all that, but is this G81 something?
cherry0.jpg
cherry1.jpg
cherry2.jpg
Yes it is, pick it up quickly, it's a Prototype Cherry keyboard with Cherry MY but as bad as that sounds you should still get it since it's overall quite valuable.

sf78

15 Jan 2018, 18:22

[quote="Myoth";p=397257

Yes it is, pick it up quickly, it's a Prototype Cherry keyboard with Cherry MY but as bad as that sounds you should still get it since it's overall quite valuable.[/quote]

OK, yeah I already have it with some Canon keyboards. Thanks!

sf78

15 Jan 2018, 18:22

sf78 wrote:
Myoth wrote:
Yes it is, pick it up quickly, it's a Prototype Cherry keyboard with Cherry MY but as bad as that sounds you should still get it since it's overall quite valuable.
OK, yeah I already have it with some Canon keyboards. Thanks!

Return to “Keyboards”