keyboard problems : I do know now! :)

Darkshado

05 Mar 2018, 02:51

Get an M or whatever else you can find. Due to geopolitical factors, I'm going to assume there wasn't much IBM gear in Hungary in the late eighties and early nineties, vintage-wise, you're more likely to find PC clone hardware with Cherry, Alps, etc. locally.

By the time you wear out any mechanical keyboard, you'll have aged a few years and acquired both skills to repair it and money to do so. Keep this sentence in mind, or whatever Hungarian equivalent you're aware of: "We'll cross that bridge when we get there."

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

05 Mar 2018, 03:28

I agree with the others. You are overthinking it, and looking for the "perfect" keyboard, which is a nice goal to have but the more you hype something in your mind, the more disappointment when it turns out to be not quite what you wanted. I've been buying keyboards for over four years and I've gone through probably close to 200 and I still don't have my "perfect" keyboard.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

05 Mar 2018, 04:10

Blaise170 wrote: I agree with the others. You are overthinking it, and looking for the "perfect" keyboard, which is a nice goal to have but the more you hype something in your mind, the more disappointment when it turns out to be not quite what you wanted. I've been buying keyboards for over four years and I've gone through probably close to 200 and I still don't have my "perfect" keyboard.
I think the whole "perfect keyboard"/"end game" stuff is overrated - to an extent. Every time we use a keyboard it is worn down to some degree. Using it over and over and over will eventually wear the caps and switches down, unfortunately... If you find your ultimate keyboard right off the bat you're never going to want to use it because you'll be afraid to wear it down. I have a few boards in my collection that I wouldn't trade for anything, but I find myself very scarcely using them. I save those boards for special occasions, like when my daughter was born, or when uni is out for summer, or when the Trail Blazers eventually win another NBA championship, or when I drink whiskey on the rocks to feel like a classy mother fucker - you know, the special moments in life worth celebrating.

In my opinion, you want to get something robust, something that can take a beating, like a model M or an omnikey or something, and enjoy using it to death. Both of those boards are relatively inexpensive as well!

I honestly think you should keep the SKCL green switches in the zenith and try them out for a bit. Sure, the layout kinda sucks, but I think SKCL green is WORLDS above anything Matias could put out right now. Not to mention the z150-type board is one of the toughest boards you'll come across insofar as build quality.

Good luck with the search though, my man. Try to not be so worried about everything that could fail in your awesome vintage keyboards! Even if something does go wrong, that begins another adventure of learning how to fix it!

green-squid

05 Mar 2018, 07:23

//gainsborough wrote:
Blaise170 wrote: I agree with the others. You are overthinking it, and looking for the "perfect" keyboard, which is a nice goal to have but the more you hype something in your mind, the more disappointment when it turns out to be not quite what you wanted. I've been buying keyboards for over four years and I've gone through probably close to 200 and I still don't have my "perfect" keyboard.
I think the whole "perfect keyboard"/"end game" stuff is overrated - to an extent. Every time we use a keyboard it is worn down to some degree. Using it over and over and over will eventually wear the caps and switches down, unfortunately... If you find your ultimate keyboard right off the bat you're never going to want to use it because you'll be afraid to wear it down. I have a few boards in my collection that I wouldn't trade for anything, but I find myself very scarcely using them. I save those boards for special occasions, like when my daughter was born, or when uni is out for summer, or when the Trail Blazers eventually win another NBA championship, or when I drink whiskey on the rocks to feel like a classy mother fucker - you know, the special moments in life worth celebrating.

In my opinion, you want to get something robust, something that can take a beating, like a model M or an omnikey or something, and enjoy using it to death. Both of those boards are relatively inexpensive as well!

I honestly think you should keep the SKCL green switches in the zenith and try them out for a bit. Sure, the layout kinda sucks, but I think SKCL green is WORLDS above anything Matias could put out right now. Not to mention the z150-type board is one of the toughest boards you'll come across insofar as build quality.

Good luck with the search though, my man. Try to not be so worried about everything that could fail in your awesome vintage keyboards! Even if something does go wrong, that begins another adventure of learning how to fix it!
Thank you man!!! you are cool 8-)

I will have to sell the switches because I only have a small amount my Paypal for keyboards, and that's not enough.

Actually, I have an idea for the zenith! What if I got some of those red linear switches and put click leaves from my dirty beyond repair APC PCB into them?? That's an idea! :)

consolation

05 Mar 2018, 09:18

Wasn't there someone running a starter pack for people just getting into the hobby? Might be the way to go if it's still a thing.

purdobol

05 Mar 2018, 09:25

snoopy

05 Mar 2018, 12:07

this really is an awesome offer for new members!

consolation

05 Mar 2018, 12:22

There you go green-squid; your problem solved. ;)

Sup

05 Mar 2018, 14:01

green-squid wrote:
Myoth wrote: you live in germany right ? you should search on ebay-kleinanzeigen.de for any Cherry keyboard where you can find "G80-XXXX XSXXX" this means that it would be Cherry blue switches, which aren't rare by any mean. I'll come back with some links if I have enough time to this evening.

Good luck with your pruchase if I can't help you !!
Nope, I don't live in Germany. I hopefully will one day and leave Hungary behind for higher education.

I know about that trick, but my fear is that I would not be happy with a Cherry keyboard like that in a couple of months and be back to square one. I haven't tried a cherry clicky switch yet, but you guys all say they are bad.

thank you
You could always swap those switches to clicky Box switches they are amazing and not that super expensive KBDfans sells Clicky Box switches. Unless you go for Navy or Jade that will cost you a bit considering your budget.

tactica

05 Mar 2018, 14:13

green-squid wrote: I'm looking for 'that one' kb because the flea market KBs (mechanicals) are few and far between. I'm patient and all that, but I doubt I will ever find an M or something.
I'm probably the least lucky man here and yet my first M was a rubber dome I got for free while at work, from someone who was probably going to throw it away but was so happy with the job at did at his place that he gave it to me as I finished and was leaving, after I had asked nicely what was that keyboard doing lying on the floor at the entrance. Sure, a rubber dome may not be the greatest board you can get but man, this was my first M and sure it beats every rubber dome on the market today and I dare say some mechs too. I was in heaven until I bought a BS and still like it today.

Bottom line, you may find an M or some other nice vintage board where you least expect it. If you aren't in a hurry, there is no need to rush things if your budget is of the short kind. Schools getting rid of old hardware are also good sources for Ms, or at least they used to.

green-squid

05 Mar 2018, 14:18

tactica wrote:
green-squid wrote: I'm looking for 'that one' kb because the flea market KBs (mechanicals) are few and far between. I'm patient and all that, but I doubt I will ever find an M or something.
I'm probably the least lucky man here and yet my first M was a rubber dome I got for free while at work, from someone who was probably going to throw it away but was so happy with the job at did at his place that he gave it to me as I finished and was leaving, after I had asked nicely what was that keyboard doing lying on the floor at the entrance. Sure, a rubber dome may not be the greatest board you can get but man, this was my first M and sure it beats every rubber dome on the market today and I dare say some mechs too. I was in heaven until I bought a BS and still like it today.

Bottom line, you may find an M or some other nice vintage board where you least expect it. If you aren't in a hurry, there is no need to rush things if your budget is of the short kind. Schools getting rid of old hardware are also good sources for Ms, or at least they used to.
Thank you! I have had success with my school, take a look at my posts (I made one about this) ;)

green-squid

05 Mar 2018, 14:20

consolation wrote:
There you go green-squid; your problem solved. ;)
I have been aware of this since last month. I'm not interested in the Cherry blues though. But my budget did increase now, so that's good!

green-squid

05 Mar 2018, 21:03

Hey guys! I will hopefully be getting this Model M assembly (if it doesn't have rusted springs and shipping is good) for restoration (and a new case) :)

Dingster

05 Mar 2018, 21:18

Hopefully I dont ruin your hopes but bottom left looks actually rotten through. It might just crumble.

green-squid

05 Mar 2018, 21:42

Dingster wrote: Hopefully I dont ruin your hopes but bottom left looks actually rotten through. It might just crumble.
I have seen worse. If 8 bit guy can deal with it, I can probably deal with it too.

Nuum

05 Mar 2018, 21:47

Looks like the membrane might be heavily damaged as well, I would'nt buy it with the hopes of restoring it.

Dingster

05 Mar 2018, 21:51

green-squid wrote:
Dingster wrote: Hopefully I dont ruin your hopes but bottom left looks actually rotten through. It might just crumble.
I have seen worse. If 8 bit guy can deal with it, I can probably deal with it too.
Battery leakage and actual deep rust are 2 different things man :lol: Dont confuse them. As Nuum said I wouldnt buy it in the hopes of reapiring it.

green-squid

05 Mar 2018, 21:57

Nuum wrote: Looks like the membrane might be heavily damaged as well, I would'nt buy it with the hopes of restoring it.
God damn it. But I have no hope I would be able to find anything else here for cheap.

I

FXT
XT

05 Mar 2018, 23:22

Don't rush into a purchase, if you're patient I'm sure you'll be able to find something. I personally wouldn't touch that M that you posted, it looks to be about at the point where it's not worth saving.

green-squid

05 Mar 2018, 23:31

FXT wrote: Don't rush into a purchase, if you're patient I'm sure you'll be able to find something. I personally wouldn't touch that M that you posted, it looks to be about at the point where it's not worth saving.
you are right. I rushed all this. Maybe somebody in Europe will get a big ass haul of Fs and sells them off for a good price! I can dream.

hansichen

05 Mar 2018, 23:41

This board looks way bejond repair, get the flippers and caps out of it and the rest is for the bin

snoopy

05 Mar 2018, 23:43

green-squid wrote:
FXT wrote: Don't rush into a purchase, if you're patient I'm sure you'll be able to find something. I personally wouldn't touch that M that you posted, it looks to be about at the point where it's not worth saving.
you are right. I rushed all this. Maybe somebody in Europe will get a big ass haul of Fs and sells them off for a good price! I can dream.
Or somebody in HK finds a pallet full of Kishsaver and F77. tinnie come back! :cry:

green-squid

05 Mar 2018, 23:50

snoopy wrote:
green-squid wrote:
Or somebody in HK finds a pallet full of Kishsaver and F77. tinnie come back! :cry:
We can only dream.

twinrotor

05 Mar 2018, 23:52

green-squid wrote:
I found my current 5150, monitor, and its model F at a thrift shop for $50 (I also bought one new in 1983, but its long gone). My blue Alps Multitech was in a pile of keyboards I've had for years. Right place, right time. Ten minutes later and some other schmoe would own the 5150.

Now that I've started looking (last couple years), nothing seems to be out there.. But it is.. I'm just looking for specific stuff now, like everyone else. Prices have changed in this little bubble of gamers and key nerds, but the rest of the world has no clue about the value of that old keyboard in their attics, and they don't care. Seems that everyone expects to find an unopened lost shipping container from 30 years ago, but it only happens a few times, to a very few people.. Not everyday. Most of those crated keyboards you dream of have been in a landfill since about five years after being produced. Be patient!

j0d1

05 Mar 2018, 23:53

You live in Hungary and you have a budget of 70$ USD.

You have plenty of choices on eBay. Here is one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/172694918303.

Shipping is ~42$USD (including import charges), make an offer for 28$USD instead of 55$USD and voilà!

It's not a plug and play unit but you seems to be open to repairs so...

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

06 Mar 2018, 00:48

I'll tell you what lad, I'll look and see what I can scrounge up in my storage which I can get to you, shipped, for your max price. Speaking of which, what is your max?

twinrotor

06 Mar 2018, 01:06

Blaise170 wrote: I'll tell you what lad, I'll look and see what I can scrounge up in my storage which I can get to you, shipped, for your max price. Speaking of which, what is your max?
Ha! That gotta be the most honest thing I have heard all day today :)

I know it happens to me when I get excited about showing off my junk at the shop. I get people showing up with absolutely worthless junk (both monetarily and to my hoarder side), asking for money rather than a recycling bin

PlacaFromHell

06 Mar 2018, 05:07

green-squid wrote: Hey guys! I will hopefully be getting this Model M assembly (if it doesn't have rusted springs and shipping is good) for restoration (and a new case) :)

The exposed traces looks really well. The tag (sorry, I don't remember te exact english word, just this paper thing with info about the keyboard) betrays that this guy has been watered. If you're interested in do a bolt mod, the traces can be easily repaired, maybe you have luck and they are all ok. Could be worst, I have the sufficent proofs to think that my beamer has been in the bottom of the sea (salt, salt everywere in his salty guts), the PCB is pristine anyway. The point is, you don't know how much damage really has your keyboard until you get it in your hands.
Last edited by PlacaFromHell on 06 Mar 2018, 07:56, edited 1 time in total.

FXT
XT

06 Mar 2018, 05:27

PlacaFromHell wrote:
green-squid wrote: Hey guys! I will hopefully be getting this Model M assembly (if it doesn't have rusted springs and shipping is good) for restoration (and a new case) :)

The exposed traces looks really well. The tag (sorry, I don't remember te exact english word, just this paper thing with info about the keyboard) betrays that this guy has been watered. If you're interested in do a bolt mod, the traces can be easily repaired, maybe you have look and they are all ok. Could be worst, I have the sufficent proofs to think that my beamer has been in the bottom of the sea (salt, salt everywere in his salty guts), the PCB is pristine anyway. The point is, you don't know how much damage really has your keyboard until you get it in your hands.
Why take the risk on something as common as an M though? I know they're less common where the OP is located, but I'm confident if he waits a little while, he can find one in much better shape than the one pictured.

green-squid

06 Mar 2018, 07:22

Blaise170 wrote: I'll tell you what lad, I'll look and see what I can scrounge up in my storage which I can get to you, shipped, for your max price. Speaking of which, what is your max?
Thank you for this offer, but I'm not in the US (even though I have been using $ as a way to express my budget here and tgere). Shipping would be cost prohibitive unfortunatley.

Return to “Keyboards”