Great/Interesting Finds

Sangdrax

17 Mar 2018, 04:06

orihalcon wrote: Does the selectric have a spot for the stabilizer to go though?
y11971alex wrote: I think the selectric spacebar is mounted on two stems like the beam spring; the shape though per my recollection has curvature on the bottom edge rather than straight like beam springs that I had.
The little side stems go into the same mount in the main spacebar. So you need those two little pieces from the original for the swap. But they're metal IIRC so even as badly damaged as the thing is, they should be salvageable.

Tuntematon

17 Mar 2018, 20:08

The AEK madness continues. Somehow the market value of a NIB AEK II has jumped from ~$100 to $300+ almost instantly:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/APPLE-Extended ... true&rt=nc

Slom

17 Mar 2018, 20:36

Market value is not determined by the highest price paid. Not by the lowest either ...

Myoth

17 Mar 2018, 20:39

Tuntematon wrote: The AEK madness continues. Somehow the market value of a NIB AEK II has jumped from ~$100 to $300+ almost instantly:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/APPLE-Extended ... true&rt=nc
I don't think those are people from here ...

I would guess that they are pretty big apple fans and that something in the vintage apple community changed recently, making prices of such keyboards go up ...

but what do I know anyway :?

Tuntematon

17 Mar 2018, 20:47

Slom wrote: Market value is not determined by the highest price paid. Not by the lowest either ...
eBay auctions are the best indicators we have for the market value of collectibles like this, I would think.

Slom

17 Mar 2018, 21:15

Tuntematon wrote:
Slom wrote: Market value is not determined by the highest price paid. Not by the lowest either ...
eBay auctions are the best indicators we have for the market value of collectibles like this, I would think.
There is one guy buying all available supply ...
1.PNG
1.PNG (109.85 KiB) Viewed 5982 times
2.PNG
2.PNG (543.98 KiB) Viewed 5982 times

Tuntematon

17 Mar 2018, 21:28

It doesn't appear that he was the winner for the one that recently went for $375, but this most recent auction is a match. Interesting.

So he paid almost $340 for this most recent AEK II in the hope that he can maybe eventually resell for $400, which is really about $348 after fees? Whatever is going on, the price is too damn high.

Slom

17 Mar 2018, 21:35

Tuntematon wrote: It doesn't appear that he was the winner for the one that recently went for $375, but this most recent auction is a match. Interesting.
That was a zero feedback account, so who knows ...
Tuntematon wrote: So he paid almost $340 for this most recent AEK II in the hope that he can maybe eventually resell for $400, which is really about $348 after fees? Whatever is going on, the price is too damn high.
Seem like he has been doing this for like 9 months.

Mind you,
I of course have no idea
on what is cause
and what is effect here.

FXT
XT

17 Mar 2018, 22:42

Posted this earlier when the bidding was at $0.99. Can't believe people are willing to pay over $400 for an F AT. It's not even NIB or even in that great looking of condition. It's got an xwhatsit and ANSI mod, but it isn't worth that much IMO.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-IBM-Mo ... 0675.m4236

nsmechkb

17 Mar 2018, 23:03

FXT wrote: Posted this earlier when the bidding was at $0.99. Can't believe people are willing to pay over $400 for an F AT. It's not even NIB or even in that great looking of condition. It's got an xwhatsit and ANSI mod, but it isn't worth that much IMO.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-IBM-Mo ... 0675.m4236
Whoa... what is going on?

This one--in fantastic condition--sold for $326.60 on Feb 7: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-1984-IB ... Sw~o5acj~j

How is the one in your listing already pushing $100 more, when it's in pretty average condition as far as I can tell.

scottc

17 Mar 2018, 23:08

Even $326.60 is already way too much for an F AT...

Maybe I should sell my AT and 3278 beam spring and go on a long holiday. :?

nsmechkb

17 Mar 2018, 23:15

scottc wrote: Even $326.60 is already way too much for an F AT... [...]
Agreed. I've been looking for one with a nice badge, and planned on going for that one, but very recently you could get an F AT for not much more than $100, so I would be spending $200 just for the badge without a scratch--it seemed ridiculous, so I stayed out of it.

But that $420 board still at auction makes no sense to me right now.

fohat
Elder Messenger

17 Mar 2018, 23:17

Slom wrote:
Market value is not determined by the highest price paid.
au contraire, that is precisely what the market value is

F AT is a "sleeper" that has been selling far too low for a long time ....

nsmechkb

17 Mar 2018, 23:19

fohat wrote: F AT is a "sleeper" that has been selling far too low for a long time ....
I thought so, too, but I thought we still had more time, haha!

FXT
XT

17 Mar 2018, 23:51

fohat wrote:
Slom wrote:

I personally don't see the appeal, I get that they're less common than the XT but I've owned both the AT and XT and much prefer the XT.

Ir0n

18 Mar 2018, 02:40

FXT wrote:
fohat wrote:
Slom wrote:

I personally don't see the appeal, I get that they're less common than the XT but I've owned both the AT and XT and much prefer the XT.
I can agree with this.
AT isn't a 400 dollar board, at that price I'd rather get a f107. XT is a lot better in feel and sound and really it takes no time at all to get use to the lay out.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

18 Mar 2018, 07:22

Tuntematon wrote:It doesn't appear that he was the winner for the one that recently went for $375, but this most recent auction is a match. Interesting.

So he paid almost $340 for this most recent AEK II in the hope that he can maybe eventually resell for $400, which is really about $348 after fees? Whatever is going on, the price is too damn high.
Chyros just put out a video of his favorite tactile switches of all time and he ranked orange Alps at number one. This is his doing, now let's get him boys!!

/s :D

Elrick

18 Mar 2018, 08:06

Ir0n wrote:
FXT wrote:
fohat wrote:

Ahhh the beauty of FLEBAY - mixing gullibility and desperation to produce a 100% SUCCESS rate for certain Sellers.

It's like watching the smart ones fleece the stupid every time due to some product they claim as being NIB or even better, little used phrase ;) .

Flebay is the current Arthur Daley of dealers for the desperate. Always a nice earner for Arthur.

JP!

18 Mar 2018, 08:49

IronHobbit

18 Mar 2018, 10:18

Space Cadet!!!
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LMI-Lambda- ... 1438.l2649

Australian Beamspring (Complete terminal)
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Extremely-V ... 1438.l2649

It's to far away for me to pick up but I'm sure someone here is close enough.

Red Badge Zenith
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Very-Rare-Z ... SwhHlan~0U

JP!

18 Mar 2018, 10:59

Damn, those are some great finds. Thanks for sharing.

IronHobbit

18 Mar 2018, 11:40

JP! wrote: Damn, those are some great finds. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks. I wonder how much the space cadet will go for, I have never seen one on eBay before.

Slom

18 Mar 2018, 12:54

:o :shock:

Btw, that Heist in Erlangen next week ... thats nothing to do with me :evilgeek:

Seriously though, shame about the missing key cap. What are the chances of finding a replacement :(
Huh, a brother for my red badge zenith :) Be warned though that the switches might be "glued" in, like in the ones //gainsborough found.
Last edited by Slom on 18 Mar 2018, 12:57, edited 1 time in total.

Slom

18 Mar 2018, 12:56

fohat wrote:
Slom wrote:
Yeah I think mixed up market price and market value :oops:

By that definition, it is actually impossible to buy above market value, right? :roll:

FXT
XT

18 Mar 2018, 14:20

Unfortunately that's mine. I didn't buy it with the intention of ever selling it but something came up and I have to downsize my collection a little bit.

Myoth

18 Mar 2018, 14:26

FXT wrote: but something came up
dang, I hope this price spike in beamspring keyboards something isn't too bad ;D

GLWS !

FXT
XT

18 Mar 2018, 14:37

Thank you. I started the bidding at $0.99 with no reserve. I'd honestly like to just get what I paid for it. Something coming up is actually a friend cutting me an amazing deal on some car parts that I want and I figured I'd rather have those than a keyboard I rarely use.
Edit:. If it goes for more than I paid for it, I'll donate a portion of the profit to deskthority.

depletedvespene

18 Mar 2018, 15:11

fohat wrote:
Slom wrote:

NOW you tell me.

When I made the list on "stuff to eventually get" back in july, I though I would be spending ~150 to get an almost NIB F AT. Had I known, I would have got that immediately, instead of bumping it down. Oh, well...

Dingster

18 Mar 2018, 15:13

FXT wrote: Thank you. I started the bidding at $0.99 with no reserve. I'd honestly like to just get what I paid for it. Something coming up is actually a friend cutting me an amazing deal on some car parts that I want and I figured I'd rather have those than a keyboard I rarely use.
Edit:. If it goes for more than I paid for it, I'll donate a portion of the profit to deskthority.
What parts and for what car, if you dont mind me asking :lol:

depletedvespene

18 Mar 2018, 15:13

IronHobbit wrote: Australian Beamspring (Complete terminal)
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Extremely-V ... 1438.l2649

It's to far away for me to pick up but I'm sure someone here is close enough.
Do you mean someone or someone? :mrgreen:

Return to “Other external”