Microsoft Intellimouse 1.1A clicky switch mod experiment

green-squid

17 Mar 2018, 18:33

Few weeks ago I got this MS Intellimouse for something like a dollar. I mainly bought it to use the ball and ball cover for my Dell 1.3A Intellimouse, but I ended up finding out that I can use another ball and ball cover from a broken Genius mouse in the 1.1A, so it became a functional mouse. But I didn't like the switches it came with. They felt stiff and not very tactile/clicky. So today I had the idea of putting in some switches I liked in it and see how it is.

Inside. This mouse was made in 1998, while my 1.3A was made in 1999.
The switches I needed to replace
It was a very easy process.
New switches in

So, are they any better? Yes they are better than the Omron ones, but they are still heavy to press, and I don't like that. But that's probably a fault with the design. Otherwise they would be great. but they wouldn't match my Dell Model M, like my Dell mouse. But that's just a nitpick.

I like my current Dell mouse, but I wish the Scrollwheel was more silent, like the 1.1, and if it hade a bit better clicky switch, like my Logitech M-MD15L from 1989/90.

What do you think? :)

Dingster

18 Mar 2018, 17:19

Nice mod, but how do you use a ball mouse in 2018? I dont game or anything but I wouldnt be able to use one haha

green-squid

18 Mar 2018, 17:22

Dingster wrote: Nice mod, but how do you use a ball mouse in 2018?
Perfectly fine. I don't get what all that talk is about. I don't like the look of a lot of these new mice.

Dingster

18 Mar 2018, 17:24

green-squid wrote:
Perfectly fine. I don't get what all that talk is about. I don't like the look of a lot of these new mice.
In my experience they are unrealiable and not very sensitive- a pain to use with limited desk space...My 2 cents.

green-squid

18 Mar 2018, 17:31

Dingster wrote:
green-squid wrote:
In my experience they are unrealiable and not very sensitive- a pain to use with limited desk space...My 2 cents.
What brands did you use? My ball mice have not let me down, besides actual crap ones. Shitty ones like Genius?

Dingster

18 Mar 2018, 17:33

Ibm and logitech actually :lol:

green-squid

18 Mar 2018, 17:39

Dingster wrote: Ibm and logitech actually :lol:
Well, looks like I was quite lucky. I'm happy enough with my Intellimouse 1.3A. Maybe if I find an old school trackball or another MS mouse, that will be my daily driver.

Dingster

18 Mar 2018, 18:26

green-squid wrote:
Dingster wrote: Ibm and logitech actually :lol:
Well, looks like I was quite lucky. I'm happy enough with my Intellimouse 1.3A. Maybe if I find an old school trackball or another MS mouse, that will be my daily driver.
I use a cheap logitech office mouse that I got for 10eur for now (best mouse I've ever used), but I will try and find a cheap trackball since I want to take one for a spin ;)

twinrotor

19 Mar 2018, 15:58

Wonder if they'll ever get away from D2Fs?

Funny the original switches are Japanese. My Omrons in my Logitech M570 were chinesium.

I've only seen too variations in actuation force in D2Fs; 75 and 150g.

And ball mice are scrapped here to make monkey fist :D

Return to “Mice & other input devices”