IBM 3101 label replicating: part no. and font

PlacaFromHell

21 Mar 2018, 00:17

Hi guys. I was thinking about replicate the paper label of my 3101, It was broken so some information has been lost. I wonder if someone has the first numer of my part numer and also looking for a similar font. I replaced the lost information with a "?"

Myoth

21 Mar 2018, 00:19

the pn's missing caracter is most probably 2 and the manufacturing date's missing character 0

PlacaFromHell

21 Mar 2018, 00:21

Myoth wrote: the pn's missing caracter is most probably 2 and the manufacturing date's missing character 0
Thanks, I was thinking about 0 when I saw one with this.

Myoth

21 Mar 2018, 00:24

oh wait then I must be wrong, I thought it was months but this is most probably weeks (since there is no 40th month) so I can't help you it could be 05, 15, 25, 35 or 45, choose the one you prefer I guess :P

P.S. : I thought my displaywriter was from June 1981, little did I know I was wrong !!

PlacaFromHell

21 Mar 2018, 00:27

The part no. was the important fact here, just to mantain his identity :D Now I should found a similar font

Myoth

21 Mar 2018, 00:29

weeeeell for the part number I guessed it was 2 but you can check on the [wiki]IBM part numbers[/wiki] list .. which I can't at the moment :/

CTRL + F-ing is a really useful feature !!

PlacaFromHell

21 Mar 2018, 00:32

Looks like it's 5 8-) Nice idea!

JP!

31 Mar 2018, 17:25

I did something similar with my Display Writer. I still need to get a proper print done to finish it though. If you get me a high quality scan or image I should be able to help with the fonts. In my case the fonts needed were not free ones.
Spoiler:
display.jpg
display.jpg (153.32 KiB) Viewed 2485 times

PlacaFromHell

31 Mar 2018, 22:08

JP! wrote: I did something similar with my Display Writer. I still need to get a proper print done to finish it though. If you get me a high quality scan or image I should be able to help with the fonts. In my case the fonts needed were not free ones.
Spoiler:
display.jpg
Thanks for you help, I already destroyed the label to paint the case. It was too much damaged to get accurate information anyway (as I said in other thread, I think my keyboard was on the sea some time). I found this one that has the same format. If I remember well it is from a keyboard which match perfectly with mine.

I can't decide about pay for a professional label or paint it to preserve the information.

Engicoder

01 Apr 2018, 07:03

A little late, but the blocky font on the right hand side is called "OCR-A" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OCR-A

PlacaFromHell

01 Apr 2018, 07:17

Oh man, I love you

Return to “Workshop”