Realforce springs - adds to the actuation force?

ShivaYash

23 Mar 2018, 22:29

Hello all,

Would changing out the springs on an electro-capacative keyboard, like the Realforce or HHKB, make any difference?

I'm finding the 104 HiPro I have for work to be a little too light. I've seen someone on eBay UK selling 20g springs... but I was always under the impression that it was the rubber dome that gave the heaviness of the key, not the spring.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323151087529 ... Tags=bu=bu

Looking for clarification before I consider buying the springs and going to the trouble of changing them.

I suspect the eBay lister is on one of the major KB forums.

Thanks in advance,
Dr SY

Myoth

23 Mar 2018, 22:34

it's indeed the domes that give the weight to Topre switches, those springs would indeed change the weight but in an artificial way, it's like on the novatouch's spacebar, it'd feel like a more stiff 45g rather than a 65g

if you're not into heavily modifying your keyboards than those psring will be great for you, if you feel adventurous, I'd suggest you to take a look at the BKE redux domes as I've heard good thing about them, there is a sample too that you can get if you don't feel like spending this much at once on something you don't know !

anyway, I hope I helped !

ShivaYash

23 Mar 2018, 23:04

Very helpful @Myoth, many thanks.

Return to “Keyboards”