question about my last santa: kensington expert mouse

tentator

30 Dec 2016, 21:58

I already searched around here and on GH and I could not really spot a fix for what I would call a really super-ultra-scratchy scroll ring!!
On GH the only thing I could find was to remove the magnet that actually isn't responsible for the scratchyness but only for the tactility when turning the ring (so actually welcome more than unwanted) but on the ring itslef, there is this plastic on metal sliding ugly feeling I think I really cannot just live with it.. the trackball per se seems quite ok.. actually I love this big heavy roller thingy.. I lubed the three suspension micro bear balls with victorinox oil so far and it runs quite smooth.. maybe there is still some inertia when starting with micromovements from stop, but I think it might still need some break in time, who knows..
I have the usb one.. wondering if the bloetooth one I discarded has a better ring..?? Or if another kensington is any better in this ring..

Thanks for any suggestion.
tent:wq

Alkhar

30 Dec 2016, 22:32

Hello, i bought it with a sale, had the same issues that you.
Did find https://www.reddit.com/r/Trackballs/com ... is_sticky/ and a few other fixes, but it was a too big hassle
But even after that the trackball was not straight even on a flat surface because of the palmrest.
I send it back

tentator

31 Dec 2016, 00:21

what do you exactly mean with "was not straight"?

tentator

04 Jan 2017, 23:27

anyway, anybody can maybe also confirm or deny if the wireless version of the kensington expert mouse wireless is also having the same issue on the ring scroll wheel? otherwise so far I can really enjoy the ball per se.. it's just the wheel is soooo scratchy.. :( and so far no mentioned method improved it in positive way (basically removing the magnet or putting some tons of lubricant in the wheel contact area in the plastic dome upper part)

tent

Griffy

07 Jan 2017, 10:41

I have one that looks very similar with the buttons and rings but with a red ball.
I have the bluetooth version and the ring does.....not feel good.

Alkhar

07 Jan 2017, 11:19

tentator wrote: anyway, anybody can maybe also confirm or deny if the wireless version of the kensington expert mouse wireless is also having the same issue on the ring scroll wheel? otherwise so far I can really enjoy the ball per se.. it's just the wheel is soooo scratchy.. :( and so far no mentioned method improved it in positive way (basically removing the magnet or putting some tons of lubricant in the wheel contact area in the plastic dome upper part)

tent
As far as i remember the scroll wheel mechanism is the same, so yes your are going to have the same issues, you could try to find internal picture of the kensington to confirm it.

tentator

07 Jan 2017, 23:37

GriffDeLaGriff wrote: I have one that looks very similar with the buttons and rings but with a red ball.
I have the bluetooth version and the ring does.....not feel good.
:cry: :cry: :cry:

elecplus

08 Jan 2017, 00:15

I too have the sme scratchy scroll ring. The demo model at Compusa was very smooth. I exchanged it in hopes for a better one, no luck. But over the last few days and a good vigorous work out it has improved tremendously. Tonight I remembererd I have a light lubrication pen. It has a small needle to apply oil to to presision locations in very small amounts. I put a little lube at opposite points where the ring meets the inside of the ball pocket. After a litle bit more of a work out it has again made tremedous improvements in how it feels. Still not like the demo, but much improved. I hope that with continued use this will all work out. Like breaking in a new auto engine.

Maybe try this fix?

tentator

08 Jan 2017, 22:17

Hi, thanks for the hint, I tried to put some victorinox oil NSF H1 in that gap where the ring rolls suspended by the ball cup/pocket but I cannot really say there was so much of an improvmenet.. probably it's like you say a matter of wearing out the plastic in the coming months.. ;) unless I did not understand exactly where's the correct spot to leak in the lube at best..

Sigmoid

26 Oct 2017, 11:32

I'd probably use cork grease (used for recorders and flutes generally) instead of oil. Also, once you've taken it apart, maybe some sanding with a P600 - P1000 polishing paper on the ring and its seat might help.

invisiblefly

26 Mar 2018, 06:28

Return to “Mice & other input devices”