IBM PS/2 mouse USB conversion

Scarpia

03 Mar 2018, 10:53

So I have this Zenith SupersPORT laptop which I converted with a Linux-powered SBC (ODROID XU4), an iPad display panel, a custom keyboard controller and a lot of love. That project is still ongoing (internal battery power is WIP), but I realized that since 1980s laptops did not really have trackpoints or trackpads yet (and fitting a touchscreen seemed just plain wrong), I would need an external mouse to go with it.

Something wired and appropriate for a 1980s IBM PC compatible.

After scouring the internets, the one I really wanted was the original IBM PS/2 (the Alps-made IBM 001 / 6450350, but since the ODROID XU4 doesn't support PS/2 peripherals, I had to convert it to USB somehow, and in a way that kept its look and feel.

So I ordered one off eBay as well as a cheap wired optical mouse as the donor, and a USB cable with a 90 degree plug.

Trigger warning: destruction of vintage IBM PBT plastic ahead

Before cleaning:

After cleaning:

The donor mouse:

Dremeled insides:

Conversion nearly done:

Blue LEDs make everything better:

And the finished product including ample pink shrink tubing:

Build gallery

Scarpia

03 Mar 2018, 10:55

Oops, this should have been posted under Workshop -- mods, would you move it?

wobbled

03 Mar 2018, 10:56

Sweet blue LED's! Now you can sell it for a ridiculous amount of money advertising it as a gaming mouse! :)

Scarpia

03 Mar 2018, 11:16

Yup. Actually I wonder...

Materials cost me 25 euros; it took me maybe 4 hours to build because I'm a slowpoke and I don't really know what I'm doing; at a rate of 50 EUR/hour because I'm a professional slowpoke and time is money.

Total price for my LED-tastic retrovaganza gaming mouse: 225 EUR :lol: :D

ScottPaladin

29 Mar 2018, 20:59

Nicely done.

Slom

29 Mar 2018, 21:02

indeed! :o

Return to “Mice & other input devices”