Amiga 500 Space Invaders stabilizer problem

Lynx_Carpathica

01 Apr 2018, 21:01

Oh my god I haven't been here for a long time :mrgreen:

So hello again,
I took appart and reassembled my Amiga 500 since it looked like a garbage, and the keys were full of dirt and dust. I had to take care of it. And so did I. But I can't seem to be able to put the shift's stabilizet back properly. How to do it?

fohat
Elder Messenger

01 Apr 2018, 21:08

I have not seen that particular keyboard, but look closely at the switch body. Some NMB Hi-Teks have tiny grooves or slots for the wires to sit in, while others don't. As I recall, they are otherwise interchangeable and it is hard to see the difference.

Lynx_Carpathica

01 Apr 2018, 21:28

The wire is under the switch, and can't be removed without desoldering the switch itself.

fohat
Elder Messenger

01 Apr 2018, 21:41

Sorry, it has been a couple of years since I took one apart. I thought that I remembered the wire lying across the top of the switch body like a yoke.

Jose

01 Apr 2018, 23:59

I don't have that particular keyboard but on my ICL DRS keyboard the spacebar key has the wire under the switch like so

underside of the spacebar
Spoiler:
If your shift key is similar the easiest way to put back the stabilizer wire is to insert the wire on one side and then use some tweezers or a screwdriver to guide it onto the other hole. It should look like this

Then you just slide the keycap over the switch and press down :)
Hope it helps :D
Spoiler:
For comparison here is the shift key on my board
(Those plastic tabs where the wire clamps to are very fragile and don't need much force to break...)

TheInverseKey

04 Apr 2018, 17:33

The shift keys on that board are different from the spacebar for stabilizers. Generally, the stabilizer on a function key is attached to the switch hooks on the side of the switch housing and pressed between the switch and the plate.

From my understanding you would have to de-solder the switch. When I get home I will have to double check.

webwit
Wild Duck

04 Apr 2018, 17:41

One would think there's a trick, because from a production point of view, the standard would be that the switches are soldered to the pcb and later in the production the keycaps are applied. It would have made the production process more expensive if the complication was introduced where one switch needed to be soldered on by a machine while carrying a huge space bar.

Return to “Keyboards”