PLUM ortholinear keyboard modification

lhur001

05 May 2018, 23:49

So it turns out that the PLUM ortholinear keyboard's keycaps, while designed for Cherry ML, are compatible with kailh low-profile switches. This is because the keycap stems are centered, unlike the Cherry G84 keycaps - http://www.40percent.club/2017/06/cherry-ml.html

Initially, I just planned on stealing the keycaps from the few boards I snagged, but I decided to re-use the cases. Haata did a teardown of this keyboard a while back - photos-f62/plum-keyboard-usb-t14640.html, and while there was some musing about redoing the PCB with ml switches, this keyboard is absolutely fantastic with the kailh-low profile switches!

I was able to reuse the LED and stock cable.

The cherry ML stabilizers work as well, meaning that the sweet 3u keycaps could be used.

top of the PCB showing Teensy 2.0 and LED trace

Novelkeys x Kailh Jade low-profile switches- these are almost too tactile, so just right. I ended up pulling 4 of the switches for the ML stabilizers. The pcb supports a few different stabilizer positions as I mess around with the layout
and figure out what grid layout I want. It was programmed in QMK, and the LED works as both a CAPS and NUM lock light.

green-squid

06 May 2018, 14:47

Good job!

__red__

06 May 2018, 22:21

I typed on these for the first time a few weeks ago at the ATL Mech meetup and I was genuinely surprised as to how much I liked it.

ysdlux99

17 Jan 2021, 03:11

How did you manage to get the new PCB made? I just picked up one of these and am eager to change the layout. I bought a Teensy because I figured I could always trace the current PCB and rewire as needed

Return to “Keyboards”