Alps matias switch top removal tool

MrBishop

15 Jun 2016, 16:19

i will apologize to anyone who requested a tool and i'm just now getting back to you. google forms didn't update me the way i assumed it would. there are 2 users who have emails in their inbox.

again my apologies.

i have also suggested a mini group buy to all the users i emailed today as shipping to the EU starts about 14$ USD per box.
but ultimately that is up to you and your comfort level.

as always thank you for your interest. I am very humbled by all your orders.

Zombimuncha

28 Jun 2016, 16:02

They're he-eeeere!
Thanks Mr B. I can't wait to try it out!

Edit:
Alps tool
Alps tool
20160628_193229.jpg (1.7 MiB) Viewed 3645 times
I did a whole row of spring swaps in just under an hour tonight. With the tool it's a little quicker and a lot easier.

Zombimuncha

06 Jul 2016, 19:49

Mini-Group-Buy Complete! Thanks to everyone who took part, for helping me get cheaper shipping. Special thanks to scottc for letting me try his hhkb when I delivered his tool, and sorry I messed up the timing of our scheduled meeting.

snufflecat

14 May 2018, 15:10

Hi there, do you still take orders for these?

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

14 May 2018, 16:49

Bishop hasn't been on since last November, and I haven't seen him on Geekhack either. Most likely you won't be able to find him unless you email him directly.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

14 May 2018, 16:51

Ahh I remember this, quite nifty idea. I never got one.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

14 May 2018, 16:53

I have two of the acrylic protoypes he made, but to be honest I don't know where one of them is and the other is somewhere in all the scattered keyboard junk. They work great, but I wish I would have bought a metal one since the edges were a bit more defined (and less likely to break).

snufflecat

14 May 2018, 18:28

Blaise170 wrote: Bishop hasn't been on since last November, and I haven't seen him on Geekhack either. Most likely you won't be able to find him unless you email him directly.
Hm, alright, guess I'll just shoot him an email then. :)

Anakey

14 May 2018, 18:31

snufflecat wrote:
Blaise170 wrote: Bishop hasn't been on since last November, and I haven't seen him on Geekhack either. Most likely you won't be able to find him unless you email him directly.
if he does reply i would be in for one also.

snufflecat

14 May 2018, 21:25

Anakey wrote:
snufflecat wrote:
if he does reply i would be in for one also.
I'll keep you posted if I hear anything.

snufflecat

16 May 2018, 10:33

Got a reply! He's not currently taking orders since his workshop is down, but the files can be downloaded for free here:
https://grabcad.com/library/465042

andrewjoy

16 May 2018, 11:19

They are pretty cool , i have one and use it all the time.

I did file down and polish up some of the tooling marks tho , just to reduce scratches on the case of the switch.

It must have done about 300-400 alps switches sand still going strong.

snufflecat

16 May 2018, 12:48

I'll be 3D-printing a copy and see how well it works. If it's sub-par I'll see if I can have one CNC'd from aluminium.

Edit:
So far my printed version works just fine, but the real test will be to see how long it lasts before the tips start to warp or bend from all the prying.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

17 May 2018, 14:56

You can 3D print in strong materials through Shapeways.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

18 May 2018, 17:34

Because grabcad requires you to create an account, I've uploaded a copy via Github here.

By the way, does anyone know the dimensions for it? I'm trying to get it uploaded into Shapeways but I can't figure out the correct dimensions.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

18 May 2018, 17:37

Well yes, but he hasn't been online in a really long time. He messaged me on Geekhack a few days ago but who knows if he would ever see my reply.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

18 May 2018, 17:37

Blaise170 wrote: Because grabcad requires you to create an account, I've uploaded a copy via Github here.

By the way, does anyone know the dimensions for it? I'm trying to get it uploaded into Shapeways but I can't figure out the correct dimensions.
Well OP should know. ;) I just seebarted you Blaise170. :mrgreen:

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

18 May 2018, 17:38

Well this is awkward. :lol:

chuckdee

18 May 2018, 18:14

You might try reddit also, though it seems that he's not been as active there these days either.

https://www.reddit.com/user/se7en9057

snufflecat

19 May 2018, 12:02

Blaise170 wrote: Because grabcad requires you to create an account, I've uploaded a copy via Github here.

I looked at the model in Fusion 360 and measured the longest point to be about 5cm. After printing it in that size it worked pretty good!

Edit:
Spoiler:
IMG_3281.JPG
IMG_3281.JPG (3.18 MiB) Viewed 3332 times
IMG_3282.JPG
IMG_3282.JPG (1.49 MiB) Viewed 3332 times

Return to “Workshop”