Let me show you my Wang

snufflecat

13 May 2018, 17:39

WarQMsD.jpg
WarQMsD.jpg (2.18 MiB) Viewed 2694 times
Wang 724 Worklog

To my fortune I recently got hold of a Wang 725-3771 with Salmon and Yellow Alps. My goal is to make this my daily driver, but before that happens it needs some maintenance.

Now, it's functioning as it should, and what I can tell it appears to have been moderately used. What I consider as the largest concern is the pitting on the backplate, around the "middle cluster" (that's what you call it?):
Spoiler:
jBg0KM8.jpg
jBg0KM8.jpg (1.59 MiB) Viewed 2694 times
I'm playing with a few ideas on what to do about it. Either:
- Do nothing, leave it as is.
- Gently dab some anti-rusting agent on the pits
- De-solder it all, replace the switches and have the backplate sanded and painted

The case, keycaps and everything else will of course be cleaned etc., but as for now I need to decide on what to do with the rust.

More pictures: https://imgur.com/a/mitbvr9

If anyone reading has suggestions for what to do, then please feel free to comment, suggestions are very welcome. :)

fohat
Elder Messenger

13 May 2018, 18:25

That is nothing. Don't worry about it unless/until it is much worse. Wipe it clean and be done, for now.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

13 May 2018, 18:32

Great find!! The wang is a fantastic chassis for alps! My suggestion is to desolder and re-finish the plate! You could change the switches at that point (clicky switches sound particularly amazing in that chassis) or you could put the original salmons back in. I think either way, the re-finished plate would look fantastic.

Findecanor

13 May 2018, 20:48

Amazing layout of that keyboard. A real fat Enter key. I love the Norwegian legends.

Elrick

18 May 2018, 04:48

Love looking at your WANG Snufflecat, really would love to play with it sometime in the future :maverick: .

ScottPaladin

18 May 2018, 16:46

If you are planning on keeping the switches, I'd recommend doing nothing about the plate. It doesn't look too bad and unless you abuse it, it shouldn't get worse quickly. If you get in there with a soldering iron, you always run the risk of lifting a pad or trace. And since SKCM can be disassembled without taking them off the board, you could still clean/maintain the switches without taking the thing completely apart. I'd leave it if I were you, and enjoy your sweet board.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

18 May 2018, 17:14

Very nice, I love my WANG...

wiki/Wang_725-3770

My other WANG is really loud and clicky with the Omron B3G-S series switches:

keyboards-f2/wang-725-7951-t10536.html? ... ng#p226584

snufflecat

18 May 2018, 21:24

Thanks for all the nice comments and suggestions on what I should do with my Wang! I think I'll just clean it all up and see how it feels and preforms on a daily basis. I'll post some photos when it's all done. :)

savantstrike

21 May 2018, 13:36

snufflecat wrote:Thanks for all the nice comments and suggestions on what I should do with my Wang! I think I'll just clean it all up and see how it feels and preforms on a daily basis. I'll post some photos when it's all done. :)
This is the course of action I'd take.

If you're okay with cleaning it every year or two and you don't eat at your keyboard, you could use a light coat of oil to prevent any further corrosion if you're really worried about it, but it shouldn't be necessary unless you live somewhere very humid.

Return to “Workshop”