Is it possible to adapt a Razer switch to mimic a Topre? Topre rental?

WindRiver

17 May 2018, 23:47

Hi, I have a Black Widow Stealth and I'm a little bit frustrated with the botomming out situation. I come from those Mac scissor switches so it's pretty difficult not to bottom out. Besides, I use my keyboard for typing 99% of the time so I thought I should try something more appropriate for typing. That's why I'm thinking about either buying a Topre keyboard (so expensive though...) or adapting mine, to get a better typing experience (my initial guess is that O-rings would be a start for the cushioning). Which do you think is better? Is adapting effective?

Also, I'm from Brazil, more specifically, São Paulo. Is there anyone who could lend me a Topre so I can get the feel of it? I can pay some sort of rent if needed.

Myoth

17 May 2018, 23:48

what do you mean by bottoming out situation ?

WindRiver

17 May 2018, 23:51

I feel like I'm wasting a lot of energy going till the bottom of each key, it's like hitting a wall, especially with these kinda thin keycaps.

Findecanor

17 May 2018, 23:59

Topre feels mostly like any other rubber dome with full 4.0 mm travel but it is very smooth and stable and the bottoming out feels distinct like on a good scissor-switch keyboard and not mushy.

Yes, I think O-rings would be best for making typing on a Razer BlackWidow keyboard feel less hard. Do note that there are different thicknesses of O-rings and thicker ones may feel be too soft and impair key travel too much for some people's preferences.
O-rings should be quite cheap. I would also recommend getting a keycap puller so that you won't damage the keycaps when you pull them off. Once I have put an O-ring on a key stem, I push it in against the struts inside using a small flat screwdriver.

WindRiver

18 May 2018, 00:51

Findecanor wrote: Topre feels mostly like any other rubber dome with full 4.0 mm travel but it is very smooth and stable and the bottoming out feels distinct like on a good scissor-switch keyboard and not mushy.

Yes, I think O-rings would be best for making typing on a Razer BlackWidow keyboard feel less hard. Do note that there are different thicknesses of O-rings and thicker ones may feel be too soft and impair key travel too much for some people's preferences.
O-rings should be quite cheap. I would also recommend getting a keycap puller so that you won't damage the keycaps when you pull them off. Once I have put an O-ring on a key stem, I push it in against the struts inside using a small flat screwdriver.
Thank you very much for the tips!

Big Bricced

23 May 2018, 10:58

100% impossible there goes my short answer

Return to “Keyboards”