Options for a soft and silent full sized keyboard with nordic layout

ziphnor

04 Jun 2018, 20:12

Hi,

I have been using a Dell SK-8115 for a while, before randomly trying out a Logitech K270. I found both of them pretty good. Unfortunately my K270 at home is no longer as soft as it used to be, especially after my kids repeatedly spilled sugary drinks on it.

I figure its perhaps time to try a slightly more 'premium' keyboard, but i am very much in doubt as to which one.

I prefer keyboards to be/have:

* Silent
* Light pressure required to activate, but resistance to being fully pressed (or at least a rubberized feeling when it is)
* Short travel of keys

I bought a Cooler Master key tester (earlier version of this one: https://www.cmstore.eu/peripheral/mecha ... tester-v3/). It has Cherry MX blue, green, red, black, purple and brown. I must say that i find most of them a bit disappointing. The green and blue are way too noisy. I don't like the way the red one hits the bottom. The black one requires too much force to depress. The brown one is decent, but doesn't feel better than the ones on the Dell and Logitech. I kind of the purple one (because its so easily pressed), but the sound it makes is horrible.

I am only interested in full-size keyboards, and even though i am a touch typist, i like having key labels that match my keyboard settings (so "nordic"/swedish/norwegian/danish) or failing that, no labels at all. Also, i have a preference for a large Enter key (ie spanning to rows)

I was hoping this forum could provide a few tips of what i should be looking at? From reading a bit from different source, i am wondering if i should be looking at a topre based keyboard? If so, i am finding it hard to find a full-sized one available with the desired labels and enter key (though perhaps i cold learn to use the smaller enter key) . In fact, i have only found one:

http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard/swed ... yboard.asp

davkol

04 Jun 2018, 21:53

Are you willing to diy?

I would simply buy a Cherry G80-3000 and then mess with it:
  • add damping foam to the PCB, perhaps screw the case together
  • if you're into keycaps, you could spend outrageous cash on group buys for GMK caps (with localization kits)
  • swap springs/stems in the PCB-mounted switches (no desoldering): you might like springs with low preload (such as "78g"), for example
  • perhaps add QMX Clips for damping otherwise undamped switches

ziphnor

04 Jun 2018, 22:26

I was hoping to avoid DIY, but of course it depends on the amount of skill and time required. Swapping springs sounds like something that takes a while?

davkol

04 Jun 2018, 22:44

Maybe an hour or two of rather menial labor (which _can_ be relaxing though, ymmv), but no soldering or anything like that.

I've suggested it, because it's kind of the point of Cherry MX imho: you can customize it as you wish. I get that it's not quite obvious, if you don't have experience with that or don't particularly care about diy, but the option is out there.

ag36

06 Jun 2018, 01:33

ziphnor

06 Jun 2018, 19:50

Well, i did include that exact link in my first post. However, it was pretty much the only one i found, and since i have never tried a Topre keyboard before, i didn't want to spent £210 until i had an indication of whether it matches what i would like, and whether any better/cheaper alternatives exist.

Iggy

06 Jun 2018, 19:56

I'm currently typing on the UK version of that keyboard, better than most Cherry switches for me. Just the right weight, a chic thock sound and the soft feel of the keycaps is pretty damn hard to beat. 8-)

Oh, now for a little disclaimer such as IMHO, YMMV, yadayadayda.

ag36

06 Jun 2018, 21:21

ziphnor wrote:
Well, i did include that exact link in my first post. However, it was pretty much the only one i found, and since i have never tried a Topre keyboard before, i didn't want to spent £210 until i had an indication of whether it matches what i would like, and whether any better/cheaper alternatives exist.
Sorry I didn't see it. Full-sized can be very difficult to find, how's buying a separate numpad?

https://www.candykeys.com/shop/?filter_loglayout=nor

Or a custom order:

https://www.candykeys.com/product/varmi ... ap-custom/

And fit this:

https://uniqey.net/en/accessories/18/qm ... nt-110-pcs.

Might cost as much as a topre :P

ziphnor

07 Jun 2018, 06:58

ag36 wrote: Full-sized can be very difficult to find, how's buying a separate numpad?
I guess ten-key less could be acceptable, i just find the numpad convenient for those cases where you have to input a lot of numbers. But i do need my arrow keys.
Might cost as much as a topre :P
I am okay paying for topre, if it is likely to meet my expectations. I think i might just try to order the Realforce 105, and hope that it can live up to my expectations.

ziphnor

07 Jun 2018, 16:20

Just FYI, i have ordered the realforce i linked to. Hope it is good :)

ziphnor

12 Jun 2018, 16:03

Just received my Realforce keyboard. It is certainly a new experience.

Things i like:
* The sound of the keys
* The rubberized coating on the keys
* The lightness of the keys
* The feel of keys

Things i am not sure i like:
* The keys are taller than what i am used to
* The top of the keys are smaller than i am used to, which will definitely take some getting used to
* The plastic of the keyboard body itself is not very impressive

Iggy

13 Jun 2018, 09:04

Quite right, for their price you'd expect the case to be a bit more then just another piece of plastic.

the_marsbar

13 Jun 2018, 10:30

Rubberized coating on Realforce keycaps? That's new to me. Are you sure it's not just the PBT texture that you're feeling.

I was used to the keyboard on my Macbook Pro (flat keys, very short travel) before I got my first HHKB. It didn't take long to get used to typing on the HHKB, and now I really don't like typing on the keyboard on the Mac anymore...

Iggy

13 Jun 2018, 11:27

the_marsbar wrote: Rubberized coating on Realforce keycaps? That's new to me. Are you sure it's not just the PBT texture that you're feeling.

I was used to the keyboard on my Macbook Pro (flat keys, very short travel) before I got my first HHKB. It didn't take long to get used to typing on the HHKB, and now I really don't like typing on the keyboard on the Mac anymore...
I've got a Hi-Pro, RealForce RGB and the 105UB, of these three the 105UB has (as ziphnor mentions) a soft coating of sorts that is distinctively different from the harder surface of the other two Topres. It's a feature that I really like about it.

ziphnor

13 Jun 2018, 16:50

the_marsbar wrote: I was used to the keyboard on my Macbook Pro (flat keys, very short travel) before I got my first HHKB. It didn't take long to get used to typing on the HHKB, and now I really don't like typing on the keyboard on the Mac anymore...
Good to know. I must admit that after half-a-day typing on the realforce, the K270 and my old Dell keyboard felt weird. Even worse, the keyboard i just started to use at work (some HP keyboard) now feels very mushy. If the realforce grows on me, i might have to buy one for work (i seriously doubt that i can my boss to pay that kind of money for a keyboard :)

the_marsbar

13 Jun 2018, 17:23

I had a similar experience. I had to buy a second HHKB for use at the office...

ziphnor

14 Jun 2018, 22:56

I will definitely need one for the office as well (if my colleagues don't mind the slightly more noisy keys than what i have now). I really like typing on this keyboard :)

Return to “Keyboards”