Bass's 3278 Beamspring haul, round 2

Bass

12 Jun 2018, 02:50

So a lot of you may remember me posting this thread a few months ago where I found 6 3278's, including the rare APL variant. I went to scope the place out again and more were available for sale! This time I obtained 3, including another APL one. For full disclosure, I paid $80+tax for each. I'll open them up later to make sure that they are structurally sound, though all six of the ones I found previously were functional barring one with a single broken switch, and some very minor rust. I expect this to be the case for these three since they were stored in a similar environment. Only hesitant to open them up so quickly this time because my entire floor was littered with bits and pieces of the contamination shields after my previous haul, and I actually ended up getting a splinter from stepping in the mess :(

Anyway without further ado here they are!
Spoiler:
The one on the top has the highly coveted APL legends:
Spoiler:
Close up of the APL 3278. This one has front printed legends even on the backspace key. Not sure if all models had this but I didn't notice it on the last one I obtained.
Spoiler:
Aside from these beamsprings, this place actually had many other terminal keyboards in all sorts of random places throughout the warehouse, most of which were micro switch. Unfortunately I forgot to take some pics of those, but I did score a few Apple keyboards (with missing cables). An M0116 and M3501 (with ALPS SKCM Salmon and SKCM Dampened Cream, respectively):
Spoiler:
Based on what happened the last time I am sure many people will PM me with offers for the the 3278's, especially the APL one. I do not plan to formally put it up for sale, but I am very much open to trades. Main things I am looking for are an Unsaver and Accent Blue Selectric caps, but I am also interested in other rarer Model F and beamspring variants in general.

codemonkeymike

12 Jun 2018, 14:10

If you clean the APL keyboard make sure you don't rub off the front printing on the caps. It is fragile and if you pop those in an ultrasonic bath with some soap it will make them fade. Same if you rub them too much.

andrewjoy

12 Jun 2018, 14:30

I second this .

I have one that has green sub legends, its not APL its something else ( i would be interested to know what it is ) and they came off in warm water so keep that in mind.

12 Jun 2018, 14:49

andrewjoy wrote: I second this .

I have one that has green sub legends, its not APL its something else ( i would be interested to know what it is ) and they came off in warm water so keep that in mind.
any pics?

andrewjoy

12 Jun 2018, 14:57

will get some in a few days but you can see it in this video

Bass

12 Jun 2018, 20:37

Thanks for the heads up all. Ideally I plan to trade the APL 3278 and let the recipient deal with those pitfalls but just in case, any good tips for cleaning the caps? This wasn't a huge issue on the last one I found since it was pretty clean but this one is quite a bit dirtier as the pictures indicate.

Slom

12 Jun 2018, 21:04

Bass wrote: Aside from these beamsprings, this place actually had many other terminal keyboards in all sorts of random places throughout the warehouse, most of which were micro switch.
Hall Effect? Where these also IBMs?

JP!

12 Jun 2018, 21:14

That is a sick find. You should buy a lottery ticket while your at it.

ScottPaladin

12 Jun 2018, 21:16

I am bristling with jealousy.

tron

12 Jun 2018, 21:20

Curious about the Micro switch boards :D . Good luck with round 2. I'd be surprised if you can't lure an Unsaver out of hiding with an APL 3278 beamspring.

Bass

12 Jun 2018, 22:20

JP! wrote: That is a sick find. You should buy a lottery ticket while your at it.
I don't mean to brag but there is in fact a decent chance that I will be able to find a few more of these within the next few months, so hopefully anyone who misses out shouldn't feel too bad. My employer has connections with the aerospace industry which is one of the main sources for old IBM terminals, and I am trying to see if I can get access to one of the warehouses they are using to store their old computer equipment. I am also pretty sure there are even a few here that are still in use due to the nature of the work we do, so who knows, I might have another source years to come :D

JP!

12 Jun 2018, 22:54

Bass wrote:
JP! wrote: That is a sick find. You should buy a lottery ticket while your at it.
I don't mean to brag but there is in fact a decent chance that I will be able to find a few more of these within the next few months, so hopefully anyone who misses out shouldn't feel too bad. My employer has connections with the aerospace industry which is one of the main sources for old IBM terminals, and I am trying to see if I can get access to one of the warehouses they are using to store their old computer equipment. I am also pretty sure there are even a few here that are still in use due to the nature of the work we do, so who knows, I might have another source years to come :D
Yes, do clean out these places if you get the chance! Grab those Microswitch ones also.

Bass

13 Jun 2018, 00:28

There were indeed many interesting looking terminals and terminal keyboards at this place, including a really old UNIVAC keyboard (this was not for sale). Couldn't recognize many of them but I don't think they were IBM made. I ended up getting into a rather interesting conversation with some of the employees there about keyboards and perhaps the most notable thing they said was that they don't consider anything made after 1980 to be vintage, which really goes to show how old school these guys really were. Although I did find several Apple keyboards here as well, this could explain why I ironically didn't see any Model F's or M's.

Since many of you have asked I do plan to go back pretty soon, either this weekend or the next.
Last edited by Bass on 13 Jun 2018, 01:58, edited 1 time in total.

xxhellfirexx

13 Jun 2018, 01:31

Can you also see if there are any vintage mice while you are at it?

vometia
irritant

13 Jun 2018, 14:50

ScottPaladin wrote: I am bristling with jealousy.
I'm not even at that point yet. I'm bristling with jealousy at my younger self who regularly used beam-spring keyboards and never appreciated them. Well okay, she thought they were "kinda nice" but I never knew what I had at the time. Except for the Big Clunk that you felt as much as heard.

green-squid

13 Jun 2018, 14:52

hello vometia! Glad to see you back, haven't seen you in a while!

vometia
irritant

13 Jun 2018, 18:43

Thanks! :) I'm still around and still model-M-ing, and still dreaming of nicer key-caps. :D

Return to “Gallery”