PCB for the 50-key IBM 4740

TerminalJunkie

20 Apr 2018, 07:19

After seeing the XTant, FSSK/FEXT, Model MF, and the 3277 PCBs, I'm wondering what the PCB of the 50-key IBM 4740 keyboards look like. (That's the 10 x 5 ortholinear one). I know that a number of people here have them. Has anyone scanned the PCB or at least taken a good picture?

References:

xueyao

20 Apr 2018, 09:56

I think it'll be relatively simple to build one for the M50! They already have the metal plates, all we need is the PCB and Model F flippers and it'll practically be the same as the 4704 F50.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

orihalcon

20 Apr 2018, 13:16

Yes, you I have previously confirmed that the 4704 Model F50 PCB fits the M49/M50 and internal assemblies are identical. All you would need is to remake the same PCB and add Model F hammers and an xwhatsit and you would be good to go. If anyone can design the PCB, I can run the group buy and even sell kits that have all of the above included.

Only thing you might have to do is a slight case modification with a dremel for the xwhatsit if there are any plastic bits in the way.

Alas, I don’t have easy access to an F50 to do a scan of it or send pictures :/

PlacaFromHell

25 Apr 2018, 22:57

Would an F50 PCB be suitable for an M50 keyboard? I think it has the necessary space for the controller, but never opened mine.

xueyao

26 Apr 2018, 01:14

orihalcon wrote:Yes, you I have previously confirmed that the 4704 Model F50 PCB fits the M49/M50 and internal assemblies are identical. All you would need is to remake the same PCB and add Model F hammers and an xwhatsit and you would be good to go. If anyone can design the PCB, I can run the group buy and even sell kits that have all of the above included.

Only thing you might have to do is a slight case modification with a dremel for the xwhatsit if there are any plastic bits in the way.

Alas, I don’t have easy access to an F50 to do a scan of it or send pictures :/
This could complement the F62 remakes perfectly! A main 60% board and a side macropad for numpad/arrow cluster would be amazing!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

hasu

26 Apr 2018, 02:06

you guys are talking without thread starter as usual :D
TerminalJunkie wrote: After seeing the XTant, FSSK/FEXT, Model MF, and the 3277 PCBs, I'm wondering what the PCB of the 50-key IBM 4740 keyboards look like. (That's the 10 x 5 ortholinear one). I know that a number of people here have them. Has anyone scanned the PCB or at least taken a good picture?
of course, kishy did.
http://kishy.ca/?attachment_id=1678

TerminalJunkie

10 May 2018, 19:31

Thanks, hasu! Some questions:
  • There is a copper dot above each capacitive pad. Does anyone know what it's for? My XT PCB has them too.
  • There is a pad and hole near the end of each row trace. Are these test points left over from development?
  • Some of the column pads in the bottom layer (http://kishy.ca/?attachment_id=1676) have pink/white dots on them. Does anyone know what they are or signify?

TerminalJunkie

16 Jun 2018, 19:19

A clue: the two copper dots are right under the "feet" (pivot points) of the flipper. I still don't understand their purpose in the design. If it were just to lift the flipper a little, they could have made the feet taller. Perhaps the dots make those parts of the PCB smoother or more resistant to wear?

John Doe

10 Dec 2018, 02:19

Any clue about the f50 pcb after half year past?

Return to “Keyboards”