Who cycles?

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

18 Jan 2018, 04:41

ClickMe wrote: I used to race at the amateur level (Cat 3). Still love to ride up and down mountains...
Welcome to DT! Looking at that Specialized your going up and down those mountains fast! Nice.

ClickMe

21 Jan 2018, 06:01

seebart wrote: Welcome to DT! Looking at that Specialized your going up and down those mountains fast! Nice.
Thank you!

JP!

21 Jan 2018, 16:30

That Specialized bike is sick. Here is mine. I just ride the city bike trails. I don't even have fancy pedals.
IMG_2592.JPG
IMG_2592.JPG (647.74 KiB) Viewed 4546 times

Menuhin

21 Jan 2018, 17:06

Whenever I met cyclist commuters who live in the US, it reminded me of my days back there and in Pittsburgh.
Many drivers do not think cyclists should have the equal right to use the road, and there is this bumper bicycle guy (we called him "bumperman" among our friends) that installed a car bumper in front of his handlebar.
I am sure most people in Pittsburgh have heard of this "bumper bike dude", but may not have seen him. I had only one time of sighting this "bumperman" from quite far away. Daring action, quite a statement with his bicycle.

JP!

21 Jan 2018, 17:16

That's pretty cool. That guy just needs turn signals. I wish I had some pictures of the tricked out chrome bikes with blinking lights and sub-woofers cruising downtown.

codemonkeymike

21 Jan 2018, 19:02

Just asked my uncle who has lived in Pittsburgh for the past 20 years, he as heard of bumper bike man. Seems to be a local legend.

Menuhin

21 Jan 2018, 20:01

The past 20 years: the Pittsburgh Penguins rising back up to the top is definitely my favorite legend!

JP!

27 Jun 2018, 04:44

Building my first bike from the frame up. Ordered this frame with this color scheme. Now I play the waiting game as it will be several weeks as it is hand built.

Hopefully it will look something like this.
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=207373

the_marsbar

27 Jun 2018, 19:41

I used to do cross country mountain biking on elite level, similarly with cyclocross. However, for the past year I've been so busy with finishing my PhD that I've hardly done any serious training. Needless to say, however, I love cycling.

Compared to maintaining top-level bikes, travelling to the races (incl. accommodation), this keyboard hobby is so cheap (OK, I don't have that many, but still) :)

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

27 Jun 2018, 21:49

Haha the keyboard hobby can get pretty ridiculous. Excluding the museum-level collectors who own 200+. there are people who are willing to pay $1500-2000 for a single keyboard (looking at you, Space Cadet and Beamspring). The most I've ever spent on a keyboard is the Massdrop Ctrl at $199 or my Varmilo VA87MR and aluminum case ($129.99+$89.99). My bike cost me $140 and then another $80 for repairs, so it depends.

JP!

27 Jun 2018, 22:31

Blaise170 wrote: Haha the keyboard hobby can get pretty ridiculous. Excluding the museum-level collectors who own 200+. there are people who are willing to pay $1500-2000 for a single keyboard (looking at you, Space Cadet and Beamspring). The most I've ever spent on a keyboard is the Massdrop Ctrl at $199 or my Varmilo VA87MR and aluminum case ($129.99+$89.99). My bike cost me $140 and then another $80 for repairs, so it depends.
Lets not forget the artisan collectors on GH and custom built keyboards can easily add up to hundreds. A $140 bike is like a rubber dome keyboard compared with someone who races and rides a high spec bike built up with lots of bling and multitudes of marginal performance upgrades. Of course it depends but it is way easier to go over the deep end in bikes. Heck you can easily spend $3k on fancy carbon aero wheels.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

27 Jun 2018, 23:34

Well brand new the bike probably would've been around $500, so I guess you could call it a Corsair or Razer in keyboard terms. :lol:

the_marsbar

28 Jun 2018, 06:29

I know it’s not that simple :) However, the keyboards I have bought so far have been pocket change compared to the last two bikes I bought, which were ~7k and ~5k (USD) (and that’s with pretty good discounts subtracted from the suggested retail prices). And that’s not the end of it, of course; replacement parts are not cheap either.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

29 Jun 2018, 03:36

You'd never believe it looking at me now, but three kids, 60 lbs, and a bad back ago, I was a pretty decent Cat 2 road cyclist with half of the points needed for Cat 1. I don't cycle much anymore. :(

the_marsbar

29 Jun 2018, 09:24

I broke my back (and had metal rods and scews inserted) after a mountain bike crash in 2009 (it was removed again a year later). When I have periods like now, with less activity on the bike, I start noticing that my back isn't perfectly fine. However, when I am doing exercise regularly, I had no issues. In my situation it seems like exercise will keep my back issues at bay.

Half-Saint

19 Sep 2018, 09:01

My current ride which I bought in august 2018. Nice bike but I expected better quality from Scott.
Attachments
IMG_20170821_190740192.jpg
IMG_20170821_190740192.jpg (1.86 MiB) Viewed 4033 times

stratokaster

05 Oct 2018, 12:29

I cycle to work and back pretty much every day, but my bicycle is a junky old Raleigh I bought from a used bicycle shop for 149€. Surprisingly, in 2 years I had zero problems with it, which is more than I can say about my wife’s fancy Lapierre.

Return to “Off-topic”